Dom Pointer -SF- Quality Education Academy - Detroit, MI - ST. JOHN'S

• 207 replies

Moose

Re: Dominique Pointer - SF - Quality Education Academy, Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 10:45:11 AM »
Yes, I agree.  They seem to mention staying home with him alot.  Michigan just signed a player for 2012 that I believe plays the same position as him and are going after someone else that should he sign, would take minutes away from him as well. 

Glenn Robinson's son.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 11:15:58 AM »
the big dog!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 01:06:59 AM »
His name is actually spelled "Dominick."

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 11:03:56 AM »
POINTER ENJOYS ST. JOHN’S

Dominique Pointer, a 6-5 wing from Detroit and Quality Education Academy in N.C., tripped to St. John’s over the weekend.

“It went pretty good,” said Tony Nolan, Pointer’s father. “We were impresesd with the coaches and the coaching staff. They treated us 100 percent good.”

Nolan said St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin told them they would use Pointer “at all three positions, the three, two and one.”

The No. 21 small forward in the Class of 2011, Pointer visits West Virginia next weekend and Michigan Oct. 15.

“He hasn’t made a decision on what’s he gonna do,” Nolan said.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/20/hinds-puts-unlv-near-the-top/

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »
POINTER ENJOYS ST. JOHN’S

Dominique Pointer, a 6-5 wing from Detroit and Quality Education Academy in N.C., tripped to St. John’s over the weekend.

“It went pretty good,” said Tony Nolan, Pointer’s father. “We were impresesd with the coaches and the coaching staff. They treated us 100 percent good.”

Nolan said St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin told them they would use Pointer “at all three positions, the three, two and one.”

The No. 21 small forward in the Class of 2011, Pointer visits West Virginia next weekend and Michigan Oct. 15.

“He hasn’t made a decision on what’s he gonna do,” Nolan said.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/20/hinds-puts-unlv-near-the-top/
manbearpig wants to know when's the last time we had a 6-5 pg?

kjd01067

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »
Seems like Lavin wants to build the team around athletic wings that can play multiple positions.  We already have Harlkess and Sampson and are still in the mix for Pointer, Garrett, Harrison, Green and Harris.  I think it can work with the idea of playing up-tempo because no one is going to play 40 mins a game but with so many guys all fighting for mins it could lead to problems.  Hell I would take them all... wouldn't it be nice for a change to have that kind of depth and flexibility with line-ups.

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 10:32:46 PM »
Sounds like decision time is coming soon.  Would love to land this kid.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/28/pointer-awaiting-michigan-visit-to-decide/#more-40199

Pointer previously visited St. John’s in mid-September.

“I had fun,” he said of the Queens school. “The players were cool, the coaches were cool. I like the smaller campus. It was good.”

Next up is a trip back to his home state for Michigan Oct. 15. He has already seen the school unofficially over the summer.

He said he plans to decide “probably a week or a month” after that visit.

“It’s whatever’s best for me,” he said. “I’ll sit down with my parents and see what we come up with.”
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 10:39:30 PM »
Now I'd much prefer Pointer over Tyler Harris. However I'd prefer Harrison over Pointer.

I think Garrett is a guarantee over all of them. I'm hopeful we hold some scholarships for 2012
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 12:12:29 AM »
it would be good to get some perspective on this... if dom pointer comes does that automatically mean amir garrett doesnt come, or vice versa since theyre similar wing types and st johns already has polee harkless and sampson. pointer does play the 1,2, and 3 so some rotations could definately be worked out

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51:37 AM »
Now I'd much prefer Pointer over Tyler Harris. However I'd prefer Harrison over Pointer.

I think Garrett is a guarantee over all of them. I'm hopeful we hold some scholarships for 2012

Sums up how I feel, Dave.  I think we'll hold a couple of scholarships for '12 unless we get on a major roll.....  Never know!

Poison

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »
In his You tube videos he looks like Dwayne Wade.

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
Was Tariq Turner our last PG in the 6.5 height?

Poison

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
Was Tariq Turner our last PG in the 6.5 height?

Tarik Turner wasn't really a pg. He played the position, but it wasn't right for him.

I think:

Mark Jackson was 6'1. Boo Harvey was 6 feet. Jason Buchanon was 6'1. David Cain was 5'11. Mo Brown was 5'8. Crooks was about 6 feet. Gray, I believe was 6'1. Barkley was maybe 6 feet. Heath Orvis was under 6 feet. Cook was 6 feet. Hatten was probably 6 feet. Hill and Geno were under 6 feet. Boothe is 5'8 wearing sneakers. Stith is under 6 feet.

Moose

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 02:15:05 PM »
Jack Wolfinger was 6'10
Wasn't he hyped as a ball handler ;D
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »
Wolfinger was hyped as a point forward of some kind. Saw his brother play for Washington. He was pretty good.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 11:34:39 PM »
Let's drop the whole Pointer playing point thing :)  I love his talent, but PG's are born not created.

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 10:28:23 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/10/08/lavin-visits-garrett-pointer/#more-40633

St. John’s coach Steve Lavin has embarked upon his cross-country recruiting tour and spent Thursday in Las Vegas visiting Amir Garrett before visiting Dominique Pointer today (Friday).
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 10:06:15 AM »
This kid is going to Mich. Pops is getting paid some money to make sure of that. He'll probably be able to kick the walls down on his house after the kid picks Mich too because he'll have a new apt near the campus in ann arbor waiting for him

kjd01067

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/10/14/pointer-could-decide-this-weekend/

Dominique Pointer, the No. 21 small forward in the nation, is down to St. John’s and Michigan and could decide during this weekend’s official visit to Michigan.

I spoke with his father, Tony Nolan, and asked him when Pointer might decide.

“Hopefully at Michigan or 48 hours after,” Nolan said. “He goes there tomorrow [Friday] and will be there until Sunday morning

“If he chooses not to go there, I’ll give him 48 hours to make up his mind what he wants to do.”

After cutting West Virginia from the list of three schools, Nolan has made no secret of the fact that he would like his 6-foot-5, 210-pound son to stay home and play for Michigan. Pointer is a Detroit native who now plays for Winston-Salem (N.C.) Quality Education Academy.

“I said that from jump street,” Nolan said of his desire to see his son play at Michigan.

“We’re home. Detroit and  Michigan is our home. That’s what I prefer. I said that before he went to prep school. If we have an opportunity to come back home, that’s what I want. It’s going to be his choice, too.”

Nolan added that both he and Pointer “loved” St. John’s.

“I love St. John’s myself,” Nolan said. “I love the coaches, the main coach [Steve Lavin] and all his staff. I’m crazy about them. But at the end of the day Michigan is where I want him. I’m not trying to bite my tongue or nothing.”

He added:  “If he wants St. John’s I’m not going to kill him. I’m still going to love him the same way.