Dwight Meikle - PF - Quality Education - Uniondale, N.Y. - HAMPTON

• 67 replies

gman

Re: Dwight Meikle - PF - Quality Education - Uniondale, N.Y.
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »
I wish Dwight luck, but I think this is great news.  I only saw him play once and I wasn't excited.  I think the staff can find a much better use for this scholarship.

boo3

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2011, 08:27:21 PM »
 Good luck to Dwight.  Lets close the deal on God's Gift Easter sunday.  seems appropriate.

MCNPA

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
I wish Dwight luck, but I think this is great news.  I only saw him play once and I wasn't excited.  I think the staff can find a much better use for this scholarship.

It's pretty scary when there is TOO much talent out there for us.  In the past under Norm, Meikle would have been a headliner.  Now we're trying to figure out how to pare scholarships to squeeze as much talent on the roster as possible.  Subbing Meikle for a First team JC All-American post player is just what the doctor ordered.  Hopefully Lavin seals the deal with God's Gift this weekend.

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 09:15:20 PM »
It's pretty scary when there is TOO much talent out there for us.  In the past under Norm, Meikle would have been a headliner.  Now we're trying to figure out how to pare scholarships to squeeze as much talent on the roster as possible.  Subbing Meikle for a First team JC All-American post player is just what the doctor ordered.  Hopefully Lavin seals the deal with God's Gift this weekend.

I couldn't have said it better, MCN.  I wish the best for Meikle, but this was probably in the best interest of both Dwight and the Johnnies.  Hopefully, we can nab God's Gift after this weekend and put the fullcourt press on Anderson and Gathers for 2012. 

Yikes!  The thought of it IS pretty scary, as you mentioned.  Good and scary.   

MCNPA

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »
Agree Mj.  Land God's gift and then go hard after Anderson and Gathers.  Anderson can play 5 spots on the floor.  Gathers a big PF would be coming in as Pelle is progressing and hopefully God's Gift is a senior.  Wuld be a great scenario with our talent at all 5 spots on the floor.

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2011, 09:28:38 PM »
Exepected.

As Alex Kline tweeted a few weeks ago SJU is making room for 2012.  Also because of this makes it unlikely that SJU fills that spot this year which means that it is probably just GG and not Jamari as well.

MCNPA

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »
Exepected.

As Alex Kline tweeted a few weeks ago SJU is making room for 2012.  Also because of this makes it unlikely that SJU fills that spot this year which means that it is probably just GG and not Jamari as well.

I'd prefer that it just be GG.  Save the other ship for 2012.  We effectively land a big center which we really needed, grabbing a junior and opening a ship for 2012.  Great at all levels IF we can land GG.  A tweener PF like traylor doesn't seem like it fills a need for us all that much right now.  I think we can prime jakarr for that type of role. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:36:28 PM by MCNPA »

Moose

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2011, 09:49:56 PM »
From the beginning this seemed odd.  I really think its similar to Mike Perez theories from last spring.  We brought him in.  Gave him some attention.  Did a solid to Pointer and QEA staff.  Now he has some momentum when prior he was relative unknown.  I really think it was carefully thought out attention tactic.

Wish him the best but seeing him a couple times he wouldn't contribute for 3 yrs likely so BE isn't for him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »
From the beginning this seemed odd.  I really think its similar to Mike Perez theories from last spring.  We brought him in.  Gave him some attention.  Did a solid to Pointer and QEA staff.  Now he has some momentum when prior he was relative unknown.  I really think it was carefully thought out attention tactic.

Wish him the best but seeing him a couple times he wouldn't contribute for 3 yrs likely so BE isn't for him.
All I know is Moose is bring humble right now because he said at Slyfox 2 months ago that Dwight wasnt going to be here next year but Moose said not to say anything.

Nice job Moose now who is the next to commit :)

Poison

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »
We need to add 3 big men. This makes sense. Him coming here never did.

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2011, 11:22:17 PM »
Interesting that we even signed him in the first place but like others have said this is probably best for both parties.

gonzalo

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2011, 04:58:29 AM »
I wish him good luck.

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »
Agree Mj.  Land God's gift and then go hard after Anderson and Gathers.  Anderson can play 5 spots on the floor.  Gathers a big PF would be coming in as Pelle is progressing and hopefully God's Gift is a senior.  Wuld be a great scenario with our talent at all 5 spots on the floor.

That would be an awesome scenerio MCNPA but that would be one too many scholies assuming jevon is still on board for 2012. Im sure lavin could figure it out but one person who we expect to be here in 2012 wouldnt be. Gathers is a must get imho
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2011, 10:00:21 AM »

That would be an awesome scenerio MCNPA but that would be one too many scholies assuming jevon is still on board for 2012. Im sure lavin could figure it out but one person who we expect to be here in 2012 wouldnt be. Gathers is a must get imho

I was expecting that Stith might not be here.  Looks like he might.  Either way I agree that Gathers is the guy we need.  I like Kyle Anderon a lot, but he'll have a bit more trouble adjusting to college defenses as well as whom he is going to be able to defend in college.  I'd love to have Anderson too, but I think Gathers fits our needs and style a bit more if it comes down to landing one or the other.

Moose

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »

Early defection?
Do you think Gathers is more important than Kyle?

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »
I was expecting that Stith might not be here.  Looks like he might.  Either way I agree that Gathers is the guy we need.  I like Kyle Anderon a lot, but he'll have a bit more trouble adjusting to college defenses as well as whom he is going to be able to defend in college.  I'd love to have Anderson too, but I think Gathers fits our needs and style a bit more if it comes down to landing one or the other.

I believe the staff is gonna find a way to get both Anderson and Gathers.  I've had the chance to see Kyle several times and the only adjusting I really see is his adjustment to playing man-to-man defense.  The thing with Anderson is he plays and reacts smartly.  There will be cases, where he'll beat his man to the spot.  He'll have his hands full at times in man, but he's also very long and cerebral.  Considering, we like to use an array of defenses then we can hide him in a zone.  Anderson is capable of playing four positions on the floor and he also will fit.  He may not exactly be a need, but he his a helluva luxury.

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:42 AM »
Oh we might have to break this off into another thread. I like this debate a lot.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »

Early defection?

Early defections are of course possible. If Icould only have one of them I think I would chose gathers becasue of our team needs, but you couldnt go wrong with kyle and of course I would love to have them both.  What about you moose?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »

Early defection?

Early defections are of course possible. If Icould only have one of them I think I would chose gathers becasue of our team needs, but you couldnt go wrong with kyle and of course I would love to have them both.  What about you moose?

Never seen Gathers in person.  No question his videos look impressive.  He is a beast.  But how tall is he really?  And would him coming then push everyone else OUT of the 4 spot and make the 3 even more jammed? 

I would lean towards Kyle if you held a gun to my head.  I want both and Jevon for another Top 5-10 class in 2012 and I do think we will have enough ships for all 3 of them.

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »
I just made a new topic in general board about 2012 recruits...lets continue the discussion over there guys.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle