Ryan Harrow - PG - NC ST Transfer - Marietta, GA - KENTUCKY

• 199 replies

Marillac

Re: Ryan Harrow - PG - NC ST Transfer - Marietta, GA
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
Just did a little youtube search on him and wow is he nastier than I saw in the one vid I saw prior.  I haven't had much computer access the last few months...but this made up for it big time.  He looks like he's got everything offensively...jump stop, good looking jumper (not sure what what the 22% from three was about..shot selection?...he shot 87% from the line and his stroke looks more like that) vertical to spare...explosive...shake....good looking passer.  He looks like he could be incredible if he puts on some weight.  Listed at 160...wow that is low. 

An athlete at the point to match what we already have 2-4.  Good lord.  Does he play any D?

The Marillac pattented 2 minute clip breakdown

Didn't expect him to have so much skill.  Thought he might have been a bust type, but yikes.  I don't to say "must get" but the kid looks like he could have his way in two years.  The weight seems to be the only weakness and that is the easiest thing to remedy.

We'll have room for him, Jevon, and Gathers.  We don't know if all the kids will make it to campus--Nuri has the summer to go, Jevon has to get things straight, etc.  Then, we are going to lose one kid to transfer or an early jump.  Too many new kids for everyone to be happy...a SF or a guard will leave.  What about GG on academic scholarship with a 3.9 GPA?

« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2011, 07:00:58 AM »
Former N.C. State point guard Ryan Harrow will make a decision on his new destination by the end of the month.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/17/harrow-to-decide-by-end-of-may/#more-52541
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

ras

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2011, 07:56:37 PM »
I thought he was visiting today. Has anyone heard anything?

crgreen

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2011, 10:40:48 PM »
Just a bit of a nitpick, but since Harrow would have to sit out the coming season, shouldn't we be tracking him with the 2012 recruits, rather than 2011?

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2011, 10:42:58 PM »
I thought he was visiting today. Has anyone heard anything?

I heard he just tweeted he is going to decide in a week or two.

Keep this in mind regarding Louisville, it appears they are pursuing George Mason transfer Luke Hancock as well.

« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
he put on twitter hes done with the recruiting visits so im guessing hes out

Marillac

« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2011, 12:19:17 AM »
he put on twitter hes done with the recruiting visits so im guessing hes out

He visited us today so I don't think that means anything, as we were his last visit.  I have a good feeling about this one. 

« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2011, 12:20:34 AM »
Just a bit of a nitpick, but since Harrow would have to sit out the coming season, shouldn't we be tracking him with the 2012 recruits, rather than 2011?

No because he would occupy a scholarship for the 2011 season.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2011, 12:32:04 AM »
I am the biggest Stith fan on the boards, but getting a commitment from Harrow pretty much guarantees Stith transfers IMO.  That could be an angle for Lavs to use to keep Jevon Thomas. 

« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2011, 07:25:58 AM »
If God's Gift qualified for an academic scholarship--he apparently has a 4.0 at Erie---would that open another basketball scholarship up for one of these other recruits?

Moose

« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2011, 08:37:17 AM »
If God's Gift qualified for an academic scholarship--he apparently has a 4.0 at Erie---would that open another basketball scholarship up for one of these other recruits?

Trying to jam a bunch of guys onto scholarship won't really help.  There are only 5 guys on the court and 2 twenty minute halves.  We have plenty of weapons.  Many more than last year.  I don't know if people realize that.  Yes they are freshman but on the whole they are much better players than what we had.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:20 AM »

Trying to jam a bunch of guys onto scholarship won't really help.  There are only 5 guys on the court and 2 twenty minute halves.  We have plenty of weapons.  Many more than last year.  I don't know if people realize that.  Yes they are freshman but on the whole they are much better players than what we had.

Exactly right Moose.  We can go to the end of our bench with either Top 100 guys or JC All Americans.  It's a far cry from last year.  Last year we had a team that finished 13th in the league the year prior.  Our two best players were subs the year prior.  The ability of this staff to mold these freshmen shouldn't be underestimated.  It may take slightly longer for some kids to "get it" but we have so much depth and ability it isn't even funny.  When these kids learn a few zones and how to defend in college, the sky is the limit.  People really underestimating what we can do. 

As far as scholarships go, we have enough to field a top notch team no matter what happens with MoMo or Harrow, and I'm pretty sure we'll get one of them.

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »
I understand those points but does anyone know whether you could use an academic scholarship undr NCAA rules to free us another basketball scholarship?

« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »
I understand those points but does anyone know whether you could use an academic scholarship undr NCAA rules to free us another basketball scholarship?

You can do whatver you want as long as the kid is willing. 

Moose

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »

You can ask guys to pay their own way too.  Not happening though.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »
so if it is ok to offer God's Gift an academic scholarship for a rull ride, that would creat an opening for another recruit. That certainly provides more flexibility if needed.

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
Academic scholarship would require him to maintain certain grades which would be added pressure. It's unpredictable how a player would handle school, practice, game demands. What if his grades slipped below 3.5 and he lost his scholarship?

Can it happen, yes, but its extremely unlikely that a coach would put his player in that position. Give him the guaranteed scholarship.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I don't think scholarships are such a huge concern.  If we add Harrow, Stith will almost certainly leave seeing the writing on the wall--Harrow, Nuri, Jevon, Harrison, and Greeene--and that will leave us with two ships to hand out with three top targets.  The odds are we'll lose one player minimum through attrition and that will make room for our third 2012 target. 

It looks like we will see a transfer from the SF or guard that sees the least burn.  We also might not get all of our recruits on campus--Garrett? Nuri? 

Poison

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
I like Stith's attitude and I wish him well, but the more we are linked to yet another point guard, the harder it's going to be for him to get playing time. If SJ's does land Harrow or Jones, Iona would be a great move for Stith with Machado graduating after next season.

« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »
i think stith will continue to work extremely hard to get minutes.  he'll make it.