Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

mkras99

Re: Jerry Cummings - PF - Garden City CC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »
Hopefully the kid's a moose.

kjd01067

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:14:03 AM »
 "Cummings is not currently enrolled in classes at St. John’s and says he has not spoken to the staff, but is continuing to work out in preparation."

I'm confused, another body would be great but if he isn't taking classes and hasn't even talked to the coaches this seems odd.

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
I just did a quick search and it looks like he played with Stith at ND Prep I guess that is the connection

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »
I just did a quick search and it looks like he played with Stith at ND Prep I guess that is the connection

Stith played at Bridgton Academy.  I'd be shocked if this kid did t actually talk to a staffer (Rico).  Juco bigs should be chomping at the bit for this opportunity.  Itd be amazing to grab two big walkons next month to eat up some fouls, enhance practice, and steal 10 mpg.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »

Stith played at Bridgton Academy.  I'd be shocked if this kid did t actually talk to a staffer (Rico).  Juco bigs should be chomping at the bit for this opportunity.  Itd be amazing to grab two big walkons next month to eat up some fouls, enhance practice, and steal 10 mpg.

Stith was at ND Prep before Bridgton.

As for some of the confusion the staff is looking to add bodies and they are doing their due diligence. It's not a contact period so he wouldn't have spoken to staff but that doesn't mean he isn't on the staff's radar or they haven't spoken to coaches about him.

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »

As for some of the confusion the staff is looking to add bodies and they are doing their due diligence. It's not a contact period so he wouldn't have spoken to staff but that doesn't mean he isn't on the staff's radar or they haven't spoken to coaches about him.

Thanks Dave that clears up my questions

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:20:49 AM »

Phone calls are allowed so the fact that it is not a Contact Period does not preclude that.  Contact Period is about face to face contact off-campus. 

But either way hopefully there is something to this.  It appears he can give them some beef up front along with 5 fouls.  Throw in maybe Amir Garrett and perhaps they have the needed depth to compete in the BE starting in late December.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
I was hoping the staff would be able to find a guy like this. That kid Sealy must really be overmatched. At 6'8 he doesn't play at all. Considering his name is Sealy, I expected more.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:04:11 PM »
I was hoping the staff would be able to find a guy like this. That kid Sealy must really be overmatched. At 6'8 he doesn't play at all. Considering his name is Sealy, I expected more.

Slim Sealy needs to bulk up a ton. He makes Tomas Jaulousniaoussjjous look like Hercules

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 12:06:18 PM »
If the staff is looking at him, they think he can contribute more than the standard walk-on.  Our staff wouldn't have noticed the kid unless they thought he could really provide something this season.  We need another PF and useful body out there.  Hopefully the staff is aware of something here that others aren't privy to.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 12:09:50 PM »
If the staff is looking at him, they think he can contribute more than the standard walk-on.  Our staff wouldn't have noticed the kid unless they thought he could really provide something this season.  We need another PF and useful body out there.  Hopefully the staff is aware of something here that others aren't privy to.

He would provide 1 useful thing, 5 fouls!!!

Everything after that would be gravy.

MCNPA

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »

My point really is that at walk-on tryouts we could have picked up 10 of them.  If is kid Cummings is being specifically targeted and not currently a student, he's being recruited even if not for scholarship this season.  Gut feeling tells me that he can potentially offer us a LOT more than our current walk-ons if he's being targeted by our staff.  5 fouls for sure, but he must be a guy that is capable enough to be in the rotation.

If Nuri and God's Gift are any indication of our staff's ability to spot JC talent that can contribute, then I'm comfortable with them trying to bring this kid in.

S from what I've read, he's a very good shooter.   Was. 70% ft shooter even Back in Hs and had a game with 5 threes.  I don't think we'll be getting a "moose" but more likely a 6'7" wing/PF type who can shoot and add to our rotation.  Not a big man per say.  He was described at ND prep as a "smooth" combo forward. 

A piece from his espn eval in 2008:

"May, 2008: Cummings has all the makings of a big time player, he just needs to put it all together. He has good size, tremendous athleticism, and a sound skill set. His athleticism is the most immediately apparent aspect of his game as he can finish and make plays around the rim..."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:29:52 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »

My point really is that at walk-on tryouts we could have picked up 10 of them.  If is kid Cummings is being specifically targeted and not currently a student, he's being recruited even if not for scholarship this season.  Gut feeling tells me that he can potentially offer us a LOT more than our current walk-ons if he's being targeted by our staff.  5 fouls for sure, but he must be a guy that is capable enough to be in the rotation.

If Nuri and God's Gift are any indication of our staff's ability to spot JC talent that can contribute, then I'm comfortable with them trying to bring this kid in.

S from what I've read, he's a very good shooter.   Was. 70% ft shooter even Back in Hs and had a game with 5 threes.  I don't think we'll be getting a "moose" but more likely a 6'7" wing/PF type who can shoot and add to our rotation.  Not a big man per say.  He was described at ND prep as a "smooth" combo forward. 

"May, 2008: Cummings has all the makings of a big time player, he just needs to put it all together. He has good size, tremendous athleticism, and a sound skill set. His athleticism is the most immediately apparent aspect of his game as he can finish and make plays around the rim..."

I understand.  He seems better then just your run of the mill walk-on.

But if he were to enroll and be cleared I would not expect more then 5-8 minutes a game.

He still is a far cry from a solid Big East caliber player.

crgreen

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »

But if he were to enroll and be cleared I would not expect more then 5-8 minutes a game.

I would remind that we're looking for an 8th man for our rotation...not a potential starter.

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »

I would remind that we're looking for an 8th man for our rotation...not a potential starter.

Let me be clear, I would be in favor of this assuming there is mutual interest and he can be cleared (both of those questions have not been answered).  All I am saying is keep it in perspective, he is not Rico Gathers or Norvel Pelle.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »

Let me be clear, I would be in favor of this assuming there is mutual interest and he can be cleared (both of those questions have not been answered).  All I am saying is keep it in perspective, he is not Rico Gathers or Norvel Pelle.

Not expecting a Gathers here.  More like crgreen posted, a reliable 8th man that can give us a few reasonable minutes.  We have some talent this year, but we were tired yesterday and in some games will have significant foul trouble.  Adding Amir will be huge for us already.  Adding one more serviceable guy could really help us make this a season that is at least decent depth-wise.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
Dave- any update ?

from the JJ article linked, you say 3 years eligibility.
If students attend JC for 2 full years, dont they just get 2 more years ?
Molloy '71

crgreen

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 06:18:13 PM »
Dave- any update ?

You mean like Nurideen?   :)

Only use 2 years eligibility if you PLAY 2 years.

MCNPA

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 06:28:16 PM »
Dave- any update ?

You mean like Nurideen?   :)

Only use 2 years eligibility if you PLAY 2 years.

Crgreen is correct.  He was a senior at la plata, prep at ND prep and one year at GC cc.  Seems like he can shoot at least a little bit.  He shot 5/7 from 3 in one game this season and 3/4 in another.  Most games were not like that, but he shot reasonably well.