Where is our school ranked 8 for 2012 class

I think it was Clark in the Dark Francis who ranked us 8
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

Re: Christian Jones - PF - IMG Academy - Arlington, TX - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »

His dopey system rewards large #s of recruits in a given class I believe. Clark is a total tool and weirdo!

crgreen

« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:29 PM »
Put aside the rankings for a sec, my guess is there was some good interest in him.

By not being ranked and having his recruitment end so late when so many of recruiting gurus are focused on the upcoming summer AAU events that makes it is easy to get overlooked.   My guess is the interest from schools like Auburn and Okie St was legit and probably ran deeper.  Also he was probably a late qualifier which may have held off other offers.

Also if you remember a few months ago Lavin tweeted how he and Chiles were recruiting in Florida.   We all assumed he or Chiles were trying to see Morris.  In retrospect it was probably Jones.

They were watching Morris though.  Chiles said he was going to Jacksonville to watch a shooter.  And Jax isn't near Bradenton.

Fair point about this years recruitment, its fair to just wonder this day in age with technology, Max Preps, YouTube, Rivals, yadda yadda where was the chatter last year.  When you google him you would think you run into a local paper story here or there.  No?

I stand corrected I don't remember him mentioning the city.

Last year? Again a late bloomer.  Kind of like Remi Barry (I know he was foreign).  Probably got tipped off perhaps by an IMG coach and then did some evaluation and boom.

Remember the story about Barry.  Some guy that Lavin had got to know in his UCLA days had his phone number and called Lavin shortly after he got the SJU job and was at a workout where Barry was in front of some coaches (he did not play that year because of Cali transfer rules) and the guy essentially told Coach to get out there and see this kid.  And suddenly the kid is being recruited by Arizona St, UCLA and SJU. 

It happens.  Barry wasn't ranked either.

Actually, if you read (that's reed, not red) the official announcement, they note in the story that Christian and Jamal Branch were AAU teammates in high school in Texas.   I'd guess Branch was the original "blip on the radar" for  Jones.   

Also, with the uncertainly on true bigs Chandler and Obekpa earlier in the year, there's a good chance the staff took another look at 7'0 Jordan Dickerson this past spring - Jones teammate at IMG.  Could easily have gotten an eyeful, as Jones was the higher scorer for IMG, and almost as strong on the boards.

crgreen

« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »

Moose, I can't tell... are people thinking #8 is too high for us?    Figuring eligible transfers as well as frosh, our class is 2 top 50 recruits, a JC All American big, and two solid wings - an uber athlete 2 guard and a deadly outside shooting JC Wing.    And just on size alone, Jones has value.   

anywhere from 6-10 seems just about right to me.   After UCLA, Kentucky and Arizona there's a considerable drop off in the top 10.

By the way - I don't think it's Clark's "dopey" way of ranking classes, I think Clark REALLY likes our 3 main guys - Obekpa, Sampson and Sanchez.   Pulled this from a March Column at Hoopscoop:  "best player was 6'9 Christopher Obekpa, who finished with 11 points, seven rebounds, and eight blocked shots and is clearly one of the fastest rising players in the senior class nationally.  And, while we're not willing to mention Obekpa in the same breath with 6'10 Jr Nerlens Noel from Tilton (School) NH, who is the #3-ranked junior nationally by the HOOP SCOOP, the comparison is interesting, as in both cases their  defense is why ahead of their offense, they both block shots like crazy, and, once they get bigger and stronger physically, their upside and potential are off the chart."

From another blurb on Hoopscoop re:  Jakarr:  "And to really illustrate the top heaviness of this event, six of our top eight-ranked 5th Year Players (Ledo McGary, Tarczewski, Davis, Sampson, and Niang), five of our top seven-ranked seniors (Muhammad, Jefferson, Anderson, Parker, and Bennett), and our top three-ranked juniors (Randle, Parker, and Noel) will all be on hand at this year's Hoophall Classic."

By the way - if Clark used the ranking system some others do, we'd be HIGHER than 8th.    His rankings DON'T include mid season transfers - hence a top 50 talent (in Hoopscoops rating system worth 6 additional points) isn't counted.  And the rankings were given before the Jones signing.   He would likely allow an additional two pts - which means we'd be 3rd with 36 pts, not tield for 8th with 28 if Clark's ranking was as "dopey" as some others.   Ky would be #1 with 40, UCLA #2 with 38,  and SJU #3.  Ky, Clark's current #2 would move in front, as they too have an elite mid-season transfer PG not being counted in THEIR total.

Yes, as you can tell, I'm having a bad "meds" day, and trouble sleeping!  :)

paultzman

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
JR repeating his positive view of CJ. We will see.

“@JonRothstein: Remember the name Christian Jones. Not one of the Big East's most heralded freshman but he's a player. Terrific get by @STJCoachLavin.”

Poison

« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »

“@JonRothstein: Remember the name Christian Jones. Not one of the Big East's most heralded freshman but he's a player. Terrific get by @STJCoachLavin.”

I fully believe it, because I'm a Lavin believer, but why do we know nothing about him?

Moose

« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »

I fully believe it, because I'm a Lavin believer, but why do we know nothing about him?

Instead of Rothstein regurgitating what Lavin and other coaches tell him, a hard hitting question like you bring up would be 'earning his bucks'

« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »

Instead of Rothstein regurgitating what Lavin and other coaches tell him, a hard hitting question like you bring up would be 'earning his bucks'

Mint.

Moose

« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »

Mint.

I did have Chicken Scarpiello yesterday ;)

« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »

Mint.

I did have Chicken Scarpiello yesterday ;)

I had the Fried Calamari at Dominick's on Arthur Avenue, Mint.

boo3

« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »

Ask Rothstein? He usually answers.  Dude eats like an animal.  Angelo's on Mulberry is one of my personal favorites as well. Been a few years since I've been there. 

Spedini, cold seafood salad, Meatballs, Chick'n Scarp, and Cheesecake-  The JR special.

paultzman

« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2012, 01:52:26 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: @JonRothstein: 20 Under-The-Radar Freshmen For The 2012-13 CBB Season --> including #STJBB's @TooRealC_Jones: http://t.co/nk81if1T

crgreen

« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: @JonRothstein: 20 Under-The-Radar Freshmen For The 2012-13 CBB Season --> including #STJBB's @TooRealC_Jones: http://t.co/nk81if1T

Our 3 man frontcourt is going to have returnees Gods Gift, Amir Garrett and Sir Dominic Porter.  We're Adding top 40 prospects Jakarr Sampson and Chris Obekpa.  And JC All America Orlando Sanchez.  That's 6 players to make up 3 starters.   And Rothstein thinks JONES could be the "top frontcourt reserve"?

Wow.

This is the 2nd Rothstein refeerence to "the burly 6'7 Jones" - but back on July 30th the reference was only that he had "the tools to be an effective piece of Lavin's puzzle".     Now RR has moved him up from "puzzle piece" to "top frontcourt reserve"....

Makes you wonder where his tips on the subject are coming from....

paultzman

« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2012, 02:45:54 PM »

Our 3 man frontcourt is going to have returnees Gods Gift, Amir Garrett and Sir Dominic Porter.  We're Adding top 40 prospects Jakarr Sampson and Chris Obekpa.  And JC All America Orlando Sanchez.  That's 6 players to make up 3 starters.   And Rothstein thinks JONES could be the "top frontcourt reserve"?

Wow.

This is the 2nd Rothstein refeerence to "the burly 6'7 Jones" - but back on July 30th the reference was only that he had "the tools to be an effective piece of Lavin's puzzle".     Now RR has moved him up from "puzzle piece" to "top frontcourt reserve"....

Out of his rear end most of the time.

Poison

« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

Wow.

Have you noticed that at some point he hypes up every single program and says they could be a "breakout team"?

« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »

Wow.

Have you noticed that at some point he hypes up every single program and says they could be a "breakout team"?

Yes and No.  SHU fans were retweeting everyone of his tweets when he was tweeting observations from a summer workout at SHU.

Lots of positive stuff.  Then when he put out his early Big East pre-season rankings he had SHU at 13 or 14, right at the bottom.

All the SHU fans were like "What the hell, I thought he loved us."  They don't realize he tries to be positive in these observations but when it is time to make predictions he ultimately has to be realistic.

MCNPA

« Reply #156 on: September 06, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
I'll say one thing though.  Rothstein seems to be real high on Christian Jones who is one of our lowest ranked guys and toward the bottom of our roster on paper.  As we know, what happens on the court is entirely different, but it is extremely encouraging that the guy with maybe the least expectations is being touted as a "sleeper".  If that is in fact the case, we will be sooo deep with talent that it's not even funny and have a very good year.

Moose

« Reply #157 on: September 06, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »
I'll say one thing though.  Rothstein seems to be real high on Christian Jones who is one of our lowest ranked guys and toward the bottom of our roster on paper.  As we know, what happens on the court is entirely different, but it is extremely encouraging that the guy with maybe the least expectations is being touted as a "sleeper".  If that is in fact the case, we will be sooo deep with talent that it's not even funny and have a very good year.

Or he could just be throwing something against a wall and if it works out he's golden.

Just saying......

LJSA

« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2012, 04:16:11 PM »

Out of his rear end most of the time.

If I were a staff member, I'd float stuff like this to boost my 12th man's confidence, even if it were total crap.

« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
This sounds similar to Greene last year.