Omari Lawrence - SG - St. Raymonds - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN's (Signed LOI)

• 260 replies
JohnnyJungle.com got a chance to catch up with 2009 recruit Omari Lawrence following up on what other media outlets asked and asking him questions that they didn’t. Finding out some new info on Omari the basketball player and Omari the 17 year old kid.

Johnny Jungle Recruiting Page

Great job as usual Dave! After speaking to Lawrence, in your opinion do you think hes coming to SJU?

JohnnyJungle.com got a chance to catch up with 2009 recruit Omari Lawrence following up on what other media outlets asked and asking him questions that they didn’t. Finding out some new info on Omari the basketball player and Omari the 17 year old kid.

Very nice JJ , much appreciated.
The more I read the more I love this young man and believe he would be a fantastic addition to our program on so many levels.
Lets hope and pray.

WE CAN DEFINITELY MAKE SOME NOISE :)

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
Very nice JJ , much appreciated.
The more I read the more I love this young man and believe he would be a fantastic addition to our program on so many levels.
Lets hope and pray.

Ditto red..  8) .. pull the trigger Omari!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

this isn't eharmony.com...this thread is about Omari Lawrence.  You guys want to strike up a relationship do it somewhere else.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Omari Lawrence is absolutely 100% a program changer for St. John's. He's a talented player who makes himself better by being a tough and smart competitor. He's an exceptional rebounder for a guard, a clutch shooter without necessarily being a pure shooter, and a smart player and passer who finds a way to help his team even on an off night. Most of all he has a tremendous will to win, so much so that his toughness is contageous and has really helped his teammate Kevin Parrom become a better rebounder and all around player.

With all due respect to his performance at Rumble in the Bronx which was outstanding, the game that should have convinced everyone how good he was is the game last spring at LIU vs. Lincoln.  He was the best player on the floor that day, period. And he used all parts of his game, both physical and mental to help his team get a great win.
   If he comes here he will be one of the best ever to play for St. John's and he will represent the school with toughness and hustle on the court as well as class off of it.  He will be one of the best ever to play for St. John's. Here's hoping he says yes and takes the first step on what will be a great journey

Do you think he's a better prospect than Parrom or Larry Davis, who you also liked out of CTK?

Once again quite indicative that this here is THE site.
Much respct.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Omari Lawrence is absolutely 100% a program changer for St. John's. He's a talented player who makes himself better by being a tough and smart competitor. He's an exceptional rebounder for a guard, a clutch shooter without necessarily being a pure shooter, and a smart player and passer who finds a way to help his team even on an off night. Most of all he has a tremendous will to win, so much so that his toughness is contageous and has really helped his teammate Kevin Parrom become a better rebounder and all around player.

With all due respect to his performance at Rumble in the Bronx which was outstanding, the game that should have convinced everyone how good he was is the game last spring at LIU vs. Lincoln.  He was the best player on the floor that day, period. And he used all parts of his game, both physical and mental to help his team get a great win.
   If he comes here he will be one of the best ever to play for St. John's and he will represent the school with toughness and hustle on the court as well as class off of it.  He will be one of the best ever to play for St. John's. Here's hoping he says yes and takes the first step on what will be a great journey

Do you think he's a better prospect than Parrom or Larry Davis, who you also liked out of CTK?

First of all with respect to Larry Davis his game and Omari's are similar because they're both creative with the ball in their hands, see the whole floor from anywhere on the floor and are capable shot makers without being pure shooters. I give Omari a distinct advantage scoring in traffic for two reasons 1) because he's just stronger and more athletic, and 2) because he's lefthanded. Is Kevin a "better" prospect?? at the moment that's a hard question because Omari is already the right size and athletic enough to play his pro position (off guard) while Kevin I think fits more into that hybrid 3/4 player who has become essential to college teams and is beginning to find his way into pro basketball also. While Omari is the most important recruit on the board for St. John's as much for his intangebles as anything, St. John's really needs a "combo forward" like Kevin who can extend defenses from what is essentially the power forward spot with his shooting while not creating a mismatch problem on the defensive end.  To me that's an even more immediate need than a true post, unless of course Rob Thomas proves healthy because that's his best position also.

this isn't eharmony.com...this thread is about Omari Lawrence.  You guys want to strike up a relationship do it somewhere else.

Absolutely no need for your post.
Posters are allowed to agree.

Absolutely no need for your post.
Posters are allowed to agree.

haha...sorry for the confusion...but my post was referring to a few posts that have been moved from this thread.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!

First of all with respect to Larry Davis his game and Omari's are similar because they're both creative with the ball in their hands, see the whole floor from anywhere on the floor and are capable shot makers without being pure shooters. I give Omari a distinct advantage scoring in traffic for two reasons 1) because he's just stronger and more athletic, and 2) because he's lefthanded. Is Kevin a "better" prospect?? at the moment that's a hard question because Omari is already the right size and athletic enough to play his pro position (off guard) while Kevin I think fits more into that hybrid 3/4 player who has become essential to college teams and is beginning to find his way into pro basketball also. While Omari is the most important recruit on the board for St. John's as much for his intangebles as anything, St. John's really needs a "combo forward" like Kevin who can extend defenses from what is essentially the power forward spot with his shooting while not creating a mismatch problem on the defensive end.  To me that's an even more immediate need than a true post, unless of course Rob Thomas proves healthy because that's his best position also.

Thanks for the scouting reports on Omar/Kevin jpm. Your insight on the NYC recruiting scene is VERY much appreciated on this board..  ;D .. peace!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:57:27 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Re: Omari Lawrence - SG - St. Raymonds - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN's (Signed LOI)
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2008, 12:16:22 AM »
we need to lock this kid up and soon!

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/08/04/omari-lawrence-visiting-uconn-louisville/

Omari Lawrence will be touring some Big East schools soon.

The 6-foot-4, 185-pound Lawrence will visit UConn next weekend and Louisville at the end of the month (Aug. 31).

Lawrence, ranked No. 32 among shooting guards in the Class of 2009 by Rivals, also lists St. John’s, Florida, South Florida, Providence and Marquette among his top options.

“St. John’s is my favorite,” Lawrence said in a text message.

Lawrence recently transferred to South Kent (Conn.) from St. Raymond’s in the Bronx, along with teammate Kevin Parrom.

He is out for several months with a separated shoulder, potentially until Oct. 1.

“I’m still in a sling for two more weeks, then I should start my rehab,” Lawrence said. “I should be ready for is8.”

Kelvin Jefferson, a first-year coach at South Kent, is bringing in Parrom, Lawrence and former Cardinal McCarrick All-State selection Mike Burwell.

“With Burwell, Parrom and Lawrence, I got three guards who can score and put the ball in the basket,” Jefferson said. “They all share the ball and I’m excited about that. You need good guards to win and those two (Parrom and Lawrence) are real good guards.”

Parrom and Lawrence are among a group of talented New York-area juniors who have yet to pick a college. Dominic Cheek of St. Anthony in Jersey City; Lance Stephenson and James Padgett of Brooklyn Lincoln; Tevin Baskin of Trinity (Conn.) Catholic; Curtis Loving, formerly of Wadleigh; and Keith Spellman of Thomas Jefferson are the others.

“I have no timetable,” Lawrence said.

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=836095

Lawrence spoke about his visit too, "UConn is a great school, with a rich alumni and I will be adding them to my list of schools. This season I plan on attending some of their games."

Lawrence current school list is Arizona, Auburn, Clemson, Georgetown, Maryland, Memphis, Miami, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, St. John's, St. Joseph's, Xavier, and UConn. He will shorten his school list in September.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2008, 05:34:25 PM »
Deja vu. 

If we were really the kid's number one, you'd think he would have verballed.

Randomhero423

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »
uh oh......

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »
Everybody says nice things about the schools they are looking at.  Let's see what happens when those St. John's staff positions are filled.

kjd01067

« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
Everybody says nice things about the schools they are looking at.  Let's see what happens when those St. John's staff positions are filled.

Great point Peter! Plenty of kids have said some pretty nice things about us... Hopefully these staff changes will help ...

« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2008, 07:55:28 PM »

Great point Peter! Plenty of kids have said some pretty nice things about us... Hopefully these staff changes will help ...

The staff changes are hopeful as well. The ball never seems to bounce our way but hopefully we finally catch a break and turn the corner with this program.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »
Lawrence had previously mentioned St. John’s as his favorite. Is that still the case?

“That’s still true,” he said.

“I don’t have an exact list,” he added. “I just know that I like the schools. I’m not sure how serious I am abut UConn. I’ll go to a few games this year and talk with the coach a little more and stuff like that.”

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/08/10/lawrence-parrom-enjoyed-uconn-visit/#more-1715
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:24:37 PM by NYCbuckeye »

« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »
so far, so good for the johnnies...
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap