St. John's Vs. Niagara Pre-Game Talk

• 37 replies

Poison

Re: St. John's Vs. Niagara Pre-Game Talk
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 07:27:27 PM »
this can be a very tough game for st johns.  niagara is usually (havent seen them yet this year) an extremely physical team who is willing to be dirty at times.  some of the guys (like tomas, dele, dj, paris) will really have their toughness tested.

our toughness has been tested. we're not that tough.

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 07:46:26 PM »
What would I like to see different?

1)To use Tomas more on Offense, he gets  Great Position But it is like Norm Pops  in his head & says don't you dare shoot

2)Run the High Low with Justin & Tomas both good passers for big men

3)Some Better Ball Screens to get Larry Free

4)Run some ISO for DJ & Paris

5) Geno has to know when to take over & when to distribute , He should of Destroyed that FR Rios kid from MIA

6) Take advantages of mismatches ,this is what Basketball is all about ,STJ should of never force the ball inside against MIA, we had the upper hand on the Perimeter we should of ran more They were Big up front not Skilled but Big
This game we should pound the ball inside make them feel the wrath of JB
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:48:09 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 08:55:56 PM »
It what world is justin a good passer...he couldnt see a double team if it hit him in the face, and there is physical evidence of that happening every game!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 09:46:37 PM »
It what world is justin a good passer...he couldnt see a double team if it hit him in the face, and there is physical evidence of that happening every game!!!!!!

Give the young'un mo than just 5 game, yo.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
people need to realize that justin has only played basketball for a few years.  i said it before the season and im saying it now that hes being annointed wayyyyyyy too early hes come a long way in a few years but remember that it only has been a few years.  facing double teams is tough for a high school player first walking on the high major level, nevertheless for a kid that hasnt played that much before HS.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

kob24

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 11:26:18 PM »

DAMN ur a hater!!!!! but i agree with u. he needs to work on that

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 12:22:39 AM »
Calm Before the Storm will be Up Wednesday Morning
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 06:44:56 AM »
Passing out of double teams has to do with court vision as well as passing skill ,  he does not have good Court vision, But we are talking about two different things , if you can't see how can you pass = He is not seeing the DT which makes his passes less accurate , But i see the touch on his passes he is a good passer especially for a FR PF, with more experience & better knowledge of the playbook you will see more consistency passing out of DT

Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Poison

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 11:50:52 AM »
this can be a very tough game for st johns.  niagara is usually (havent seen them yet this year) an extremely physical team who is willing to be dirty at times.  some of the guys (like tomas, dele, dj, paris) will really have their toughness tested.

We always have trouble with them. If we resort to jacking up threes, we could lose this game. Niagara has played more than we have, and they 3 guys who can really score. Our defense will be a big part of this game. Keeping the ball of Fisher's hands, and forcing him to take low % shots when he does have the ball.

Burrell, Coker, TJ and Kennedy need to crash the boards, and they need to work better with each other in the paint. Last year, the big men never worked together, and it showed.

This game will us a lot about how Norm Roberts has grown a coach. We got blown out. If we come looking aggressive, and moving the ball around well, I'll be impressed. if we come out flat, turning the ball over, and launching up 3 pointers, I'll be sick.

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 12:38:18 PM »

We always have trouble with them.

we blew them out last season in one of our best offensive games

Poison

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 12:42:13 PM »

We always have trouble with them.

we blew them out last season in one of our best offensive games

JJ, while that's true, tell me you weren't aware that Fisher didn't play in that game?
We had about 5-6 games where we really shot the ball well.

Not a great strategy since it hardly ever worked.
I also remember Niagara hanging with us for 20 solid minutes.

I expect a very close game, but I expect us to win, too.

SJU 68. Niagara 62. Fisher drops 30.

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 12:49:58 PM »
Actually I forgot about that Poison, great point it totally slipped my mind.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »
Actually I forgot about that Poison, great point it totally slipped my mind.

Even still, he's just one guy, and we should be able to find someone that can stick him.
We have weapons inside. They just have to play smarter.

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
I agree they are 4-3 for a reason

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 09:52:58 PM »
OldRed, I believe Torres went on to the join the fine Retrievers of Maryland-Baltimore County.  Didn't he watch the Wire?  NY cats are not welcome.

But Niagara... as far as I know, they play fast but are undersized.  I honestly think St John's will run them off the court, if Larry Wright's in good playing shape.  None of them are that tall, so they won't bother his shot.  What's Charron Fisher's game like from firsthand viewing?  Takes a lot of shots, hits his threes at a decent clip, according to the stats (http://www.purpleeagles.com/sports/mbball/stats/displayStats.asp?page_id=115) but not that crisp on the inside shots.

As long as Geno and Larry and Paris and DJ and 'em have quick hands...

Poison

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 10:29:24 PM »
OldRed, I believe Torres went on to the join the fine Retrievers of Maryland-Baltimore County.  Didn't he watch the Wire?  NY cats are not welcome.

But Niagara... as far as I know, they play fast but are undersized.  I honestly think St John's will run them off the court, if Larry Wright's in good playing shape.  None of them are that tall, so they won't bother his shot.  What's Charron Fisher's game like from firsthand viewing?  Takes a lot of shots, hits his threes at a decent clip, according to the stats (http://www.purpleeagles.com/sports/mbball/stats/displayStats.asp?page_id=115) but not that crisp on the inside shots.

As long as Geno and Larry and Paris and DJ and 'em have quick hands...

I saw Fisher play against us at Alumni 2 years ago, and he can ball.
If I had to compare him to someone, I'd say Bonzi Wells.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:29:52 PM by Poison »

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 10:44:16 PM »
Yea Ricky did go to UMBC as far as I know

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2007, 01:32:11 AM »
ricky's transferring from there.