Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies
I'd prefer Jones over Harrow I think. I'm not sold on Harrow's heart and toughness. He's more talenetd maybe, but Jones has already proven to be a winning PG. Harrow seems more concerned with being fancy.

Tough call, but if Momo can play right away, I think he makes us much much more dangerous immediately.

High School Hopefuls (Ryan Harrow) pt.1

this might answer your questions about harrows heart and desire to improve.
BTW he sounds like Mos Deff in 16 blocks.

Id rather have harrow but now id almost be shocked if we didn't end up with either one of them

LOLOLOL 

My friend who is  DIEHARD NC State fan and alum was killing him last night (after twice posting stuff on my wall last year about how good he was).  He said he sounded like Urquel!!!! LOL now I see.  Jesus...this kid is like 14 physically...which could mean that he is ready to explode once he physically matures.

Momo and Harrow...I'd take over Nuri and my boy Stith.  Proven guys...especially Momo who started the whole season for a team that came a shot away from the Final Four.  Stith would be the easiest to cut b/c of all the backcourt talent...the writing is on the wall.  Just call him into the office and be like "look fella, Nuri, Phil Greene, Harrow, Momo, HARRISON, Pointer, Garret...I like your game, but you're not going to see the floor.  You need to go to school that can give you 30 mpg."

Moose, this kid has no shot at a waiver because of his grandmother.  The NCAA only grants those VERY VERY rarely and I know Momo lived with his mother growing up.  It's a really slippery slope, because everyone has a sick grandparent or cousin.

From what I'm told, Lindsey is leagues better than Harrow and Jones. Leagues better.

I find that hard to believe.  Lindsey is older than Harrow for one, but I think Harrow is a true point guard and as far as the NBA is concerned has all the physical tools to be a first rounder.  Is he mature?  Will he D up?  Will he put in the work?  Will he be a cancer?  Don't know the answers.  Only Lav can evaluate that when they meet. 

In terms of athletic ability, Lindsey is about a 6 or 7 while Harrow is a 9 at worst.  Lindsey looks infinitely stronger, however, and will def be a better scorer.  Different players...Harrow's handle is filthy and Lindsey's is adequate for the point position.

Regardless, we're not talking Lindsey vs Harrow.  We very likely will end up witty both, which is a great thing.  Don't know why people are questioning Harrows athleticicm.  No, it's it always important for a PG to dunk, but it says something very important about his level of speed, explosiveness and  athleticism.  So what the kid is skinny?  Doesn't mean much at all.  He's got a phenomenal handle, speed, passing ability and just needs some strength on his frame.  That will be easy sitting out a year and practicing with the team.  Harrow is a no-brainer if we can land him IMO. 

Durant = 1 bench press rep at NBA combine.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

I'd prefer Jones over Harrow I think. I'm not sold on Harrow's heart and toughness. He's more talenetd maybe, but Jones has already proven to be a winning PG. Harrow seems more concerned with being fancy.

Tough call, but if Momo can play right away, I think he makes us much much more dangerous immediately.

Id rather have harrow but now id almost be shocked if we didn't end up with either one of them

LOLOLOL 

My friend who is  DIEHARD NC State fan and alum was killing him last night (after twice posting stuff on my wall last year about how good he was).  He said he sounded like Urquel!!!! LOL now I see.  Jesus...this kid is like 14 physically...which could mean that he is ready to explode once he physically matures.

Momo and Harrow...I'd take over Nuri and my boy Stith.  Proven guys...especially Momo who started the whole season for a team that came a shot away from the Final Four.  Stith would be the easiest to cut b/c of all the backcourt talent...the writing is on the wall.  Just call him into the office and be like "look fella, Nuri, Phil Greene, Harrow, Momo, HARRISON, Pointer, Garret...I like your game, but you're not going to see the floor.  You need to go to school that can give you 30 mpg."

Moose, this kid has no shot at a waiver because of his grandmother.  The NCAA only grants those VERY VERY rarely and I know Momo lived with his mother growing up.  It's a really slippery slope, because everyone has a sick grandparent or cousin.

From what I'm told, Lindsey is leagues better than Harrow and Jones. Leagues better.

I find that hard to believe.  Lindsey is older than Harrow for one, but I think Harrow is a true point guard and as far as the NBA is concerned has all the physical tools to be a first rounder.  Is he mature?  Will he D up?  Will he put in the work?  Will he be a cancer?  Don't know the answers.  Only Lav can evaluate that when they meet. 

In terms of athletic ability, Lindsey is about a 6 or 7 while Harrow is a 9 at worst.  Lindsey looks infinitely stronger, however, and will def be a better scorer.  Different players...Harrow's handle is filthy and Lindsey's is adequate for the point position.

Regardless, we're not talking Lindsey vs Harrow.  We very likely will end up witty both, which is a great thing.  Don't know why people are questioning Harrows athleticicm.  No, it's it always important for a PG to dunk, but it says something very important about his level of speed, explosiveness and  athleticism.  So what the kid is skinny?  Doesn't mean much at all.  He's got a phenomenal handle, speed, passing ability and just needs some strength on his frame.  That will be easy sitting out a year and practicing with the team.  Harrow is a no-brainer if we can land him IMO. 

Durant = 1 bench press rep at NBA combine.
Harrow=slightly bigger Juan Dixon!

Moose

Ok

Its 1 day later and no list or possible schools really being mentioned outside of Goodman's speculation.

?
Remember who broke the Slice news

pretty interesting tweet from Jevon Thomas 17 minutes ago..  "  if they recruit another guard im out!!! "

Marillac

LOLOLOL 

I wish I could tell all this info like you from watching a 2 min highlight tape on youtube. Personally I can't gauge all of this by watching a guy's best plays. I can see some of the guy's capabilities and potential but if I put all my stock into highlights then Dele Coker was the next Dikembe Mutumbo.

I think it's safe to say these are all guys who were out of reach for St. John's potentially 2 years ago. Deciding on who not to take its a fantastic problem to have.

If you can't evaluate a kid's athletic abilty from a video than that is pretty sad.  Watching a six footer tomahawk dunks and fly by his man...utilizing jump stops a great crossover and other skill is enough.  I've never seen Michael Jordan in person, but I'm pretty sure he was awesome. 

I know coaches that offer kids based soley on highlight videos.  They don't look to see the ball go in--because it always does--they look at form and other skills.  It's obviously better to see a person in person AND have the tapes, but I'll take the tapes over seeing a kid in AAU any day of the week.   A meaningful high school game is a different story.

Harrow is a stellar athlete...and you don't need the hour of video of him on youtube to reach that conclusion...it's apparent immediately. 

And funny you mention Dele, because I caught slack on here calling him Abe Keita when he was a freshman...I make a lot of claims about recruits...find me more than 3-4 mistakes I've made before you make jokes about how I can break down film.  It used to be my job to look at video for the coach to see who was even worth a look out of the hundreds of highlight tapes we received.  Yeah, it was only juco but ball is ball.

I agree with you that this is a good problem to have.  It's a different world with Lav. 

LOLOLOL 

I wish I could tell all this info like you from watching a 2 min highlight tape on youtube. Personally I can't gauge all of this by watching a guy's best plays. I can see some of the guy's capabilities and potential but if I put all my stock into highlights then Dele Coker was the next Dikembe Mutumbo.

I think it's safe to say these are all guys who were out of reach for St. John's potentially 2 years ago. Deciding on who not to take its a fantastic problem to have.

If you can't evaluate a kid's athletic abilty from a video than that is pretty sad.  Watching a six footer tomahawk dunks and fly by his man...utilizing jump stops a great crossover and other skill is enough.  I've never seen Michael Jordan in person, but I'm pretty sure he was awesome. 

I know coaches that offer kids based soley on highlight videos.  They don't look to see the ball go in--because it always does--they look at form and other skills.  It's obviously better to see a person in person AND have the tapes, but I'll take the tapes over seeing a kid in AAU any day of the week.   A meaningful high school game is a different story.

Harrow is a stellar athlete...and you don't need the hour of video of him on youtube to reach that conclusion...it's apparent immediately. 

And funny you mention Dele, because I caught slack on here calling him Abe Keita when he was a freshman...I make a lot of claims about recruits...find me more than 3-4 mistakes I've made before you make jokes about how I can break down film.  It used to be my job to look at video for the coach to see who was even worth a look out of the hundreds of highlight tapes we received.  Yeah, it was only juco but ball is ball.

I agree with you that this is a good problem to have.  It's a different world with Lav. 

This board was around when Abe Keita was a freshmen?

kjd01067

This board was around when Abe Keita was a freshmen?

No it wasn't lol I think we have been around for 3-4 years idk time flies I'm sure Dave can give you the exact date.

Moose

pretty interesting tweet from Jevon Thomas 17 minutes ago..  "  if they recruit another guard im out!!! "

Wow
Remember who broke the Slice news

Wow

This might be the first i have heard any Lavin recruit semi unhappy.  I hope he is kidding because Jevon is the real deal.  Forget the rankings . He will be really really good.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:31:31 PM by jumpinjohnny »

MCNPA

Wow

This might be the first i have heard any Lavin recruit semi unhappy.  I hope he is kidding because Jevon is the real deal.  Forget the rankings . He will be really really good.

Doubt he's kidding.  Not a great idea bellyaching about it on twitter though.  It just looks bad.  Not sure if I care for that type of attitude from a kid that still has to get his grades in order.  SJU doesn't have a lot of PG's on board right now except Lindsey.  Even if Harrow comes on board, Lindsey will be an upperclassman or gone at that time.  I like Jevon a lot,  but we're far from loaded at PG.

Wow

Do you have a link...I searched for Jevon right after you posted this but didn't see anything.  Did he take it down?  I am twitter challenged so help me out.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Wow

Do you have a link...I searched for Jevon right after you posted this but didn't see anything.  Did he take it down?  I am twitter challenged so help me out.

I don't.. just read it from him on my twitter timeline

Marillac

Wow...this is a big deal.  We don't even have a pure point on the roster...not sure what Jevon is upset about.  As it stands now he literally has no competition.

My guess is Jones to SJU, sit out a year. Harrow to Louisville

I guess you haven't figured him out by now.

Nevertheless, I hope Thomas was joking about leaving if the Johnnies pick up another guard.  I doubt the Johnnies take both Jones and Harrow.  I believe only one of 'em will be with the team.  Not to mention, these kids have to be careful what they say on social sites.

Finally, I'd hope Thomas wouldn't stray away from a lil' competition. 

I'm not questioning his desire to get better, but I am questioning how Harrow fits into a team. The videos and stuff I have seen from an NC State fan's perspective has been that he's got a lot of maturing to do. And lets be honest, 99% of the videos and stuff out there on him is showing off his dunking ability, which as a PG, I could care less about. He can have all the potential in the world, but if you lack certain traits like leadership and unselfishness, then it won't translate. He has to be about winning, not his stats or his highlights.

Basically, I love Harrow's potential, but am worried that he's not on the right track to fulfill it. I am confident in our staff and the year off to help him get better and mature.

To me, Momo has a bit more of a NY type attitude and mentality, that could pay dividends right away for a young team trying to learn how to win next year.

If Momo though can't get the waiver, then I'd say Harrow has more upside.

So, what I see here is that you have made lots of assumptions about a guys makeup that you have no way at all of knowing about, and then, based on those assumptions (which were based on nothing), your conclude that Momo is the better fit. Everything in this previous post was about his makeup, ability to be a teammate, and you preface basically everything with "I feel like" or "based on what I heard" or "it seems as if", which are all just more or less admissions of ignorance on this specific topic. You know nothing about Harrow or Momo personally, so forgive me if I don't agree with your assessment of a players game because you feel like he is all about his highlights. Sorry if I come off as a jerk.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
I'm not questioning his desire to get better, but I am questioning how Harrow fits into a team. The videos and stuff I have seen from an NC State fan's perspective has been that he's got a lot of maturing to do. And lets be honest, 99% of the videos and stuff out there on him is showing off his dunking ability, which as a PG, I could care less about. He can have all the potential in the world, but if you lack certain traits like leadership and unselfishness, then it won't translate. He has to be about winning, not his stats or his highlights.

Basically, I love Harrow's potential, but am worried that he's not on the right track to fulfill it. I am confident in our staff and the year off to help him get better and mature.

To me, Momo has a bit more of a NY type attitude and mentality, that could pay dividends right away for a young team trying to learn how to win next year.

If Momo though can't get the waiver, then I'd say Harrow has more upside.

So, what I see here is that you have made lots of assumptions about a guys makeup that you have no way at all of knowing about, and then, based on those assumptions (which were based on nothing), your conclude that Momo is the better fit. Everything in this previous post was about his makeup, ability to be a teammate, and you preface basically everything with "I feel like" or "based on what I heard" or "it seems as if", which are all just more or less admissions of ignorance on this specific topic. You know nothing about Harrow or Momo personally, so forgive me if I don't agree with your assessment of a players game because you feel like he is all about his highlights. Sorry if I come off as a jerk.

There are things one can guess at from others' accounts; hell, even coaches have to depend on the words of others. This is a message board, we all have opinions; be respectful of them. What do you see that makes you disagree with that assessment?

I go by the stats and by watching both players play; Momo - to me, I feel like he's Edgar Sosa. Which is good some games, less good other games. And Jones' passing rates/ assist numbers are not great for a lead guard. He's a short SG who isn't great at shooting (but doesn't turn the ball over, to his credit).

Harrow was a rough watch last year, though the whole team looked disconnected; he can pass but he couldn't convert and obviously needed more strength. All the dunking in the world is great when a player has an open lane, but how's he going to convert when there isn't one? That's a real issue. Anyone who follows NC State will tell you that Harrow seemed like he needed to mature - sensitive, even complaining about criticism.

I see why you went off on SJUHoopNut, but respectfully - there's a lot that he said that has already permeated discussions of both players.

Dan

Great attitude...guess he wouldn't be ready to compete and show he's the best.

Marillac

Nevertheless, I hope Thomas was joking about leaving if the Johnnies pick up another guard.  I doubt the Johnnies take both Jones and Harrow.  I believe only one of 'em will be with the team.  Not to mention, these kids have to be careful what they say on social sites.

Figured him out?  MJ, this is a fansite.  I give my opinion and so do you.  I don't put any weight in what say and you are free to do the same with my posts.  Why do you have to keep this up?  These sites are here so fans can speculate, share opinions, gossip, etc.  We don't deal with facts.  Get over it.  If you don't like my posts, don't read them.  It's really quite an easy fix. 

Figured him out?  MJ, this is a fansite.  I give my opinion and so do you.  I don't put any weight in what say and you are free to do the same with my posts.  Why do you have to keep this up?  These sites are here so fans can speculate, share opinions, gossip, etc.  We don't deal with facts.  Get over it.  If you don't like my posts, don't read them.  It's really quite an easy fix. 

I know what fan sites are all about and what goes on on 'em.  I also do not have an issue with you nor with what you say.  OTOH, I also call it like I see it and we'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:28:22 AM by mjdinkins »