Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies

Moose

Wonder if Hofstra put a call into Lamont?

Kid just quarterbacked an Elite 8 team as a sophmore.   He'll be picking from a considerably higher strata than Hofstra.

Yes and no.  I agree Momo can play at a BCS level, no doubt.  But remember he is going to be asking for a waiver and he almost certainly needs to be in the NY area to have any chance to get one.  That limits his choices.  There might not be room for him at SJU or SHU.  He may have to take a step down (that is why I suggested Fordham) just to make sure he stays in the area.

Or he gives up his waiver request and instead decides to say go to Providence, who I think would take him in a minute.

I saw somewhere saying Va Tech too

I haven't seen ANYTHING!  This continuation has to be a record for the fact that he still hasn't listed any schools and we're just debating him vs. Harrow.

And as for F96 SHU should want him, no?  They have nobody.  He would be a good get for them but of course I hope not.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

He wouldn,t be competing with Harrison. He would be competing with Nuri and Jevon. There is going to be competition at all positions. Harrow is a pure point guard and may be a better fit, but what if he(Harrow) opts to go elsewhere?
I think Harrison is every bit as much of a pg as Nuri.  I see your point, though, and I'm happy with the three combo guards we already have--Nuri, Harrison and Greene--and I don't think we get any better adding a 6'0 kid that shot 25% from three and only handed out 2.4 assists per game.  Harrow, on the other hand, gives us a pure pg that matches the athletic ability on the roster 2-5.  He'd also be a killer at the end of games with his filthy handle and 87% from the FT line.  One man press-breaker.

Actually, Momo shot 32% on 3s, and 83% FTs, leading his team to #9 in the country (and the elite 8).  Harrow shot 22% from distance, and dished less than ONE more assist per game (3.3 to 2.4) for a LOSING team.

I wouldn't say he led the team thats a blatant misrepresentation. Derrick Williams carried that team and Soloman Hill played 2nd fiddle. Was MoMo an important piece? Sure.

MoMo is a gunner and with a team that is bringing in two gunners in Nuri and Harrison I'm not sure how I see this fit.

momo was second on the team in scoring. soloman hill was fourth. Williams did carry them however

Hill (zona's DJ Kennedy) was more valuable to that team than MoMo. Heck you could make a case for Parrom being more valuable off the bench too. If you ask an Arizona fan about MoMo I'm sure there would be no love lost especially with what they have coming in.

Honestly a great fit for MoMo would be UConn

He'd be buried behind Boatright, Lamb, and Napier, no?

Wonder if Hofstra put a call into Lamont?

Kid just quarterbacked an Elite 8 team as a sophmore.   He'll be picking from a considerably higher strata than Hofstra.

Yes and no.  I agree Momo can play at a BCS level, no doubt.  But remember he is going to be asking for a waiver and he almost certainly needs to be in the NY area to have any chance to get one.  That limits his choices.  There might not be room for him at SJU or SHU.  He may have to take a step down (that is why I suggested Fordham) just to make sure he stays in the area.

Or he gives up his waiver request and instead decides to say go to Providence, who I think would take him in a minute.

I saw somewhere saying Va Tech too

I haven't seen ANYTHING!  This continuation has to be a record for the fact that he still hasn't listed any schools and we're just debating him vs. Harrow.

And as for F96 SHU should want him, no?  They have nobody.  He would be a good get for them but of course I hope not.

Not sure if they did he would have interest.

He wouldn,t be competing with Harrison. He would be competing with Nuri and Jevon. There is going to be competition at all positions. Harrow is a pure point guard and may be a better fit, but what if he(Harrow) opts to go elsewhere?
I think Harrison is every bit as much of a pg as Nuri.  I see your point, though, and I'm happy with the three combo guards we already have--Nuri, Harrison and Greene--and I don't think we get any better adding a 6'0 kid that shot 25% from three and only handed out 2.4 assists per game.  Harrow, on the other hand, gives us a pure pg that matches the athletic ability on the roster 2-5.  He'd also be a killer at the end of games with his filthy handle and 87% from the FT line.  One man press-breaker.

Actually, Momo shot 32% on 3s, and 83% FTs, leading his team to #9 in the country (and the elite 8).  Harrow shot 22% from distance, and dished less than ONE more assist per game (3.3 to 2.4) for a LOSING team.

I wouldn't say he led the team thats a blatant misrepresentation. Derrick Williams carried that team and Soloman Hill played 2nd fiddle. Was MoMo an important piece? Sure.

MoMo is a gunner and with a team that is bringing in two gunners in Nuri and Harrison I'm not sure how I see this fit.

momo was second on the team in scoring. soloman hill was fourth. Williams did carry them however

Hill (zona's DJ Kennedy) was more valuable to that team than MoMo. Heck you could make a case for Parrom being more valuable off the bench too. If you ask an Arizona fan about MoMo I'm sure there would be no love lost especially with what they have coming in.

Honestly a great fit for MoMo would be UConn

He'd be buried behind Boatright, Lamb, and Napier, no?

I could see UCONN as well might even be close enough to have a shot at a waiver.

Calhoun indicated they have 9 scholarship players and are looking to add 1 more. We know they pursued Gibbs so Jones would seem to fit as well.

TONYD3

I know many of you guys think or hope stith will transfer. I kind of think (thought) he will stay, but if we get either harrow or momo I think he leaves. I like stith's intangibles but i would be thrilled replacing him with s 5 star player and opening up another scholarship.

Lenn Robbins is reporting today that this transfer to St. John's is a done deal.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/st_john_adds_kentucky_game_GG3Wfl4s2SlS5DMpsSpPhO
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:36:11 AM by mathja »

Lenny is jumping the gun.  I can tell you he has not made a decision and SJU has not accepted anything.

Lenny is jumping the gun.  I can tell you he has not made a decision and SJU has not accepted anything.

You would think he's got a good source inside STJ if he's gonna print it. 

The same source that told him that Jamari Traylor was still a top target long after he was no longer considering SJU???

He does have good sources but his recruiting sources are a bit weak.  He may in the end of the day right but I can tell you nothing is done yet.

DFF6

Lenny is good, but not always accurate, as fordham96 pointed out to me when I posted a report from Robbins that said that STJ was still very much in the hunt for J Traylor AFTER STJ landed GG and following reports that Traylor wasn't even considering us anymore.  Still, I hope he's right!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden

Lenny is good, but not always accurate, as fordham96 pointed out to me when I posted a report from Robbins that said that STJ was still very much in the hunt for J Traylor AFTER STJ landed GG and following reports that Traylor wasn't even considering us anymore.  Still, I hope he's right!

I smell a jumping of the gun as well, and I personally hope Momo doesn't come. I don't really think he'll get the waiver.  NCAA's gotten a little more leery of these "I wanna go home" transfers - Murphy Holloway transferred back to South Carolina and wasn't eligible, right? And he transferred to join his freaking son.

So then we have a chuck artist who wants playing time as a junior in 2012-13 with Nuri and D'Angelo and Jevon Thomas all wanting time...

I smell a jumping of the gun as well, and I personally hope Momo doesn't come. I don't really think he'll get the waiver.  NCAA's gotten a little more leery of these "I wanna go home" transfers - Murphy Holloway transferred back to South Carolina and wasn't eligible, right? And he transferred to join his freaking son.

Yes, Holloway did transfer to the Gamecocks to be near his son.  The difference is his son wasn't ill.  I'm not saying, MoMo is gonna be receive a waiver, but there is a difference in their situations.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:04:41 AM by mjdinkins »

Moose

Yes, Holloway did transfer to the Gamecocks to be near his son.  The difference is his son wasn't ill.  I'm not saying, MoMo is gonna be receive a waiver, but there is a difference in their situations.

I'd love to know if the NCAA has approved a waiver for an ill grandmother.  Then precendence would be set.

Zags on his recruitment.  As I said Jones has not been contacted by SJU.  I think SJU will wait to see how things shake out:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/19/momo-jones-awaiting-word-from-st-johns/

MCNPA

Zags on his recruitment.  As I said Jones has not been contacted by SJU.  I think SJU will wait to see how things shake out:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/19/momo-jones-awaiting-word-from-st-johns/

Yeah, IMO St. John's will probably wait on Harrow's decision.  They made a commitment to him and will likely wait to see what he does.  Bottom line is that we won't take both.  My guess is if Harrow commits to SJU, then he's our guy.  If Harrow chooses another school, we will land MoMo Jones.  We won't take both as it would hurt us with Jevon and won't help with existing players either.  It should shake itself out after Harrow decides where he wants to go.  I hope it is SJU.  I think he's more of a PG than MoMo and offers us a bit greater upside overall.

DFF6

Anyone have any idea how long it will take for MoMo to get an answer on his waiver request?

Moose

Anyone have any idea how long it will take for MoMo to get an answer on his waiver request?

When I looked at the Elliot Williams transfer from Duke to Memphis he got that waiver approved 2 months after he transfered.  He transferred end of June and got the approval end of August.

When I looked at the Elliot Williams transfer from Duke to Memphis he got that waiver approved 2 months after he transfered.  He transferred end of June and got the approval end of August.

Moose, do you remember what his reason was for the waiver?

mkras99

Not to defend Leonard (his real friends call him Leonard, not Lenny  ;D ), but he has broken a couple of committments since Lavin took over (Jevon Thomas for one).

DFF6

Moose, do you remember what his reason was for the waiver?

2 months??!!  Well, if SJU is playing the wait and see game, it will only be doing so because Harrow doesn't come to SJU.  BTW, I have found one case, J'Mison Morgan, where the waiver was granted for a terminally ill grandmother, BUT Morgan's grandmother was his legal guardian and was dying of cancer.  Probably not MoMo's facts.