Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies

crgreen

In referring to "inexperience" it seems like posters keep trotting out references to previous youth dominated teams.   There's one problem.    We're going to be starting FIVE newcomers.   9 of our top 10 players figure to be frosh or 1st year JCs.    I'm not sure I remember ANY team so young. 

I've seen references to the "fab 5".  My god, does anyone remember that the Fab 5 joined a team anchored by 7'0 245 lb junior, future 5 year NBA center Eric Riley (he'd put up 11 pts 8.5 rebs in 30 mins per game as a soph the year before)?

That's sorta like SJU starting this coming season with Brownlee still here with 2 years of eligibility....But we don't.   We've got a 3rd string PG with barely 600 minutes and only 125 total points and 60 total assists in 2 seasons.  That's our TOTAL team experience.

It's really gonna take awhile for it to all come together.   My guess is 1/2 a season at least.   That doesn't mean we can't have a good record.  We will be more talented than most teams we play.  But until it all meshes together, we're going to need 1 or 2 of our "superior" talents to take over to win games against less talented but better coordianted teams.   My guess is Harrington will grab the "Hardy role" of taking over at crunch time.  He's truly got the skill AND the attitude for the role.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:33:01 AM by crgreen »

In referring to "inexperience" it seems like posters keep trotting out references to previous youth dominated teams.   There's one problem.    We're going to be starting FIVE newcomers.   9 of our top 10 players figure to be frosh or 1st year JCs.    I'm not sure I remember ANY team so young.  I

I've seen references to the "fab 5".  My god, does anyone remember that the Fab 5 joined a team anchored by 7'0 245 lb junior, future 5 year NBA center Eric Riley (he'd put up 11 pts 8.5 rebs in 30 mins per game as a soph the year before)?

That's sorta like SJU starting this coming season with Brownlee still here with 2 years of eligibility....But we don't.   We've got a 3rd string PG with barely 600 minutes and only 125 total points and 60 total assists in 2 seasons.  That's our TOTAL team experience.

It's really gonna take awhile for it to all come together.   My guess is 1/2 a season at least.   That doesn't mean we can't have a good record.  We will be more talented than most teams we play.  But until it all meshes together, we're going to need 1 or 2 of our "superior" talents to take over to win games against less talented but better coordianted teams.   My guess is Harrington will grab the "Hardy role" of taking over at crunch time.  He's truly got the skill AND the attitude for the role.

I for one see next season as being super difficult as a result of our inexperience and tough schedule.
Having said that we could exceed expectations and have a solid BE record if those making the BE schedule view us as a cellar dwellar.

Um Fordham, "those SJU teams would beat Iona"

Wrong. Since you're so fond of backing up your points with facts, why not google the game that Felipe Lopez and Zendon Hamilton played against Iona at MSG.

And for the record, no, Jeff Ruland wasn't on Iona at that time. Yet, they beat the snot out of us. Why? Experience.
Heres the article from the link I posted on the Iona/SJU game with Lopez and Zendon from NY Times

COLLEGE BASKETBALL;Iona Makes Its Season as St. John's Hits Bottom
By JERE LONGMAN
Published: December 28, 1995Sign In to E-Mail

The St. John's-Iona game was not decided until the final minutes last night, which was just as well. Neither team played deservedly of victory, though Iona displayed steadiness and a fierce determination down the stretch while St. John's folded in what has become a familiar retreat.

In a sloppy game filled with frayed shooting and inept ball handling, the Gaels finally prevailed, 70-57, in the Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden, despite going eight minutes of the first half without scoring a single point. It was the first victory by Iona over St. John's since 1979.

If the game was unsatisfactorily contested -- neither team shot better than 38 percent while combining for 39 turnovers -- at least it was tense and riveting at the end, and full of significant meaning. Ambitious Iona (6-1) of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, acquired a victory that will make its season, while slumping St. John's (4-4) absorbed a defeat that may break its season and eventually cost embattled Coach Brian Mahoney his job.

Iona will face second-ranked Kentucky (8-1) in the championship game at 9 P.M. tomorrow. The Wildcats asserted themselves inside in the second half with forward Antoine Walker (27 points) and dominated a smaller Rider team on the offensive boards to win, 90-65, in the opener.

"It's probably one of the top five wins in the history of our program," said the elated Iona coach, Tim Welsh.

It may have been one of the five worst losses for St. John's, which committed 22 turnovers, collapsed in the face of Iona's 1-3-1 halfcourt trap and shot 21 for 66 (31.8 percent). The star guard Felipe Lopez shot a miserable 5 for 21, while center Zendon Hamilton went a frigid 6 for 15 and point guard Derek Brown negated 6 assists with 6 turnovers.

"We don't think it could get any worse," St. John's swingman Fred Lyson said. "We're hoping."

With 6 minutes 10 seconds remaining, Iona went ahead for good, 50-48, on a bank shot on the fast break by guard Bryan Matthew, who led the Gaels with 19 points.

St. John's pulled within 54-53 after a steal by Brown and a layup from Hamilton, but the erratically shooting Red Storm went cold as Iona went on an 8-0 run to go ahead by 62-53. The balanced Gaels, who got 17 points from forward Mindaugas Timinskas and 15 from center Mikkel Larsen while picking St. John's pocket for 15 steals, then kept hitting free throws as the lead widened to double figures. Iona wanted the game more and simply took it.

MCNPA

I not sure Glover would start on this team to tell the truth.  Iona did that to Cuse early in the season.  Glover was a beast in that game, but he was simply finding gaps in the early-season 2-3 and Cuse let him clean the glass.  I don't think Glover would offer much kore than say a Pointer and IMO Sampson is more talented.  I like Glover a lot and he's a legit Big East player.  I still take this SJU team after mid season against an Iona team.  Early season, things can and will happen with all freshmen.  I have no doubt about that.  I do think our improved depth will blunt the effects a bit though.

Poison

Since Lou retired just about every local has cleaned our clock at least once. Usually it's because they are a deeper more experienced team.

That, and we've been overrated many times.

gman

I wish the mode would keep this thread on topic.

Moose

I wish the mode would keep this thread on topic.

At this point what does it matter though.  MoMo aint coming here and frankly I could care less where he goes now.  If the inmates wanna go Iona vs. STJ and all that lets do it!
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Gman, there's nothing new or interesting on this topic. So it can go as off the rails as you like!  And since Momo is looking at Iona (he still is, right), it's semi-pertinent.

today?

mkras99

Iona per Zags tweet.

Hell ya!!!!! Think he'll get the waiver?

Moose

For your benefit I hope he does because the thought of him sitting for a year and not playing just doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies.
Remember who broke the Slice news

For your benefit I hope he does because the thought of him sitting for a year and not playing just doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies.

We'll see. Machado will be a senior, so if he has to sitout a year, it will be his team

Congrats Baldi!!!!

Again I think his chance at a waiver is thin but at least he stays in the area whcih gives him a shot.

First Sterling Gibbs doesn't bite at SHU and now Momo.  Wow!!!

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/06/08/momo-jones-to-iona/#more-53398

a source close to the Iona staff said they were hopeful of obtaining a waiver.

“I look forward to going to the Gaels and pursuing my dreams of getting my degree and basketball career. My decision was basically solely on being close to my family and still having an opportunity to showcase my skills.”

Congrats Baldi!!!!

Again I think his chance at a waiver is thin but at least he stays in the area whcih gives him a shot.

First Sterling Gibbs doesn't bite at SHU and now Momo.  Wow!!!

Cluess just owned Willard

Well I said clearly that I did not think he would land at SHU since he decided to go on these visits (as it turns out just 1 more to Iona) after his SHU visit.  I mean here is a BE school in the metro area and the only one left standing and you are still not satisfied?

I am not sure Derm wanted to do SHU any favors after the Gonzo mess of last year anyway.  JMHO

I would guess him staying so close to home makes the NCAA's decision a bit easier?

Now say Momo does get the waiver, Iona would have to have one of the best backcourts in the nation along with a top big man. Scott Machado,Momo Jones and Mike Glover. Am I biased with this?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:59:05 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

I would guess him staying so close to home makes the NCAA's decision a bit easier?

Now say Momo does get the waiver, Iona would have to have one of the best backcourts in the nation along with a top big man. Scott Machado,Momo Jones and Mike Glover. Am I biased with this?

Oh I agree.  I would put it right behind the UK backcourt of Marquis Teague and Doron Lamb, UNC's backcourt of Kendall Marshall and Dexter Strickland and just ahead of Duke's backcourt of Austin Rivers and Tyler Thornton/Andre Dawkins/Seth Curry and Arizona's backcourt of Josiah Turner/Nick Johnson/Jordin Mayes.

First stop New Rochelle, next stop New Orleans and the Final Four!!!!  LOL!!!