Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies
Agreed that is why I don't think MoMo comes to SJU.  I do however think he would prefer it.

I also don't think it will necessarily be directly in the NY area or even the BE.  I could see a fit at Providence or even a school like Dayton (Archie Miller now the coach formerly at Arizona with his brother).

I also think a waiver is a reach especially for a grandmother.  Maybe for a father or mother but not for a grandmother.

Some people are very close to their grandparents.  Not to mention, some are even raised by 'em.

That's not my point.  You have to look at it from the NCAA perspective.  You could be really close to a cousin as well.  No doubt.

But the NCAA is the one that has to extend the waiver and they have been cracking down on them in terms of being very restrictive on what parameters are used to grant one.  Remember the NCAA is not restricting him from transferring, all they require is that he sit out a year.  What he is saying is there are extraordinary circumstances that force him to transfer back to the east coast and be closer to his family and because of this he would like to play immediately.

Being closer to one's sick grandmother, while admirable and I am sure genuine, could be grounds for a lot of people to play immediately after a transfer.  That is my point. 

Impossible?  No but unlikely imho.

J'mison Morgan got one for a sick grandmother when he transferred to Baylor as did a FB player from USC who transferred back to Arkansas.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5584017

Agreed that is why I don't think MoMo comes to SJU.  I do however think he would prefer it.

I also don't think it will necessarily be directly in the NY area or even the BE.  I could see a fit at Providence or even a school like Dayton (Archie Miller now the coach formerly at Arizona with his brother).

I also think a waiver is a reach especially for a grandmother.  Maybe for a father or mother but not for a grandmother.

Some people are very close to their grandparents.  Not to mention, some are even raised by 'em.

That's not my point.  You have to look at it from the NCAA perspective.  You could be really close to a cousin as well.  No doubt.

But the NCAA is the one that has to extend the waiver and they have been cracking down on them in terms of being very restrictive on what parameters are used to grant one.  Remember the NCAA is not restricting him from transferring, all they require is that he sit out a year.  What he is saying is there are extraordinary circumstances that force him to transfer back to the east coast and be closer to his family and because of this he would like to play immediately.

Being closer to one's sick grandmother, while admirable and I am sure genuine, could be grounds for a lot of people to play immediately after a transfer.  That is my point. 

Truth (that NC2A will see behind the scenes too) = Josiah Turner,  Nick Johnson = Transfer

J'mison Morgan got one for a sick grandmother when he transferred to Baylor as did a FB player from USC who transferred back to Arkansas.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5584017

What I know about Lamont is that both of his parents are alive and his grandmother is not his legal guardian.

I would agree that if it were true that his grandmother were say the breadwinner in the family or his legal guardian then yes his chances would improve.  And if I am mistaken and that is the case then again his chances greatly improve.

Simply being "close" to your grandmother won't be sufficient was my point.

I had an idea what your point was initially.  I was just stating some people are very close to their grandmother and in some cases, they are raised or brought up by 'em.  I know it's a slippery slope when the grandparents come into the equation (with the NCAA), but it's a slope that does have some merit to it.

Will MoMo be granted the immediate waiver?  Time will eventually tell.

Truth (that NC2A will see behind the scenes too) = Josiah Turner,  Nick Johnson = Transfer

Yes, that could also play a role in the NCAA's decision.

I'd prefer Jones over Harrow I think. I'm not sold on Harrow's heart and toughness. He's more talenetd maybe, but Jones has already proven to be a winning PG. Harrow seems more concerned with being fancy.

Tough call, but if Momo can play right away, I think he makes us much much more dangerous immediately.

High School Hopefuls (Ryan Harrow) pt.1

this might answer your questions about harrows heart and desire to improve.
BTW he sounds like Mos Deff in 16 blocks.

Id rather have harrow but now id almost be shocked if we didn't end up with either one of them
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Is the reason for transferring  because he will be pushed for the starting spot in Arizona?

I wonder if Masiello has something up his sleeve for this guy

Is the reason for transferring  because he will be pushed for the starting spot in Arizona?

I wonder if Masiello has something up his sleeve for this guy
"Something up his sleeve" in a Chris Mills/Tim Floyd kinda way? lmao... I hope Steve keeps my alma mater in tact and is mature enough to represent our HS well too...

Look at this post from the Fordham board

"early word is that it looks like SJU for momo but i am just wondering if they are over their budget to pay any more incoming recruits for next year. I mean at some point that brown paper bag money has to run out. "

http://fordhamfans.smfforfree.com/index.php?topic=19.msg82191#new

Look at this post from the Fordham board

"early word is that it looks like SJU for momo but i am just wondering if they are over their budget to pay any more incoming recruits for next year. I mean at some point that brown paper bag money has to run out. "

http://fordhamfans.smfforfree.com/index.php?topic=19.msg82191#new

;D  I can't do nothing but laugh. 

Marillac

I'd prefer Jones over Harrow I think. I'm not sold on Harrow's heart and toughness. He's more talenetd maybe, but Jones has already proven to be a winning PG. Harrow seems more concerned with being fancy.

Tough call, but if Momo can play right away, I think he makes us much much more dangerous immediately.

Id rather have harrow but now id almost be shocked if we didn't end up with either one of them

LOLOLOL 

My friend who is  DIEHARD NC State fan and alum was killing him last night (after twice posting stuff on my wall last year about how good he was).  He said he sounded like Urquel!!!! LOL now I see.  Jesus...this kid is like 14 physically...which could mean that he is ready to explode once he physically matures.

Momo and Harrow...I'd take over Nuri and my boy Stith.  Proven guys...especially Momo who started the whole season for a team that came a shot away from the Final Four.  Stith would be the easiest to cut b/c of all the backcourt talent...the writing is on the wall.  Just call him into the office and be like "look fella, Nuri, Phil Greene, Harrow, Momo, HARRISON, Pointer, Garret...I like your game, but you're not going to see the floor.  You need to go to school that can give you 30 mpg."

Moose, this kid has no shot at a waiver because of his grandmother.  The NCAA only grants those VERY VERY rarely and I know Momo lived with his mother growing up.  It's a really slippery slope, because everyone has a sick grandparent or cousin.

I'm not questioning his desire to get better, but I am questioning how Harrow fits into a team. The videos and stuff I have seen from an NC State fan's perspective has been that he's got a lot of maturing to do. And lets be honest, 99% of the videos and stuff out there on him is showing off his dunking ability, which as a PG, I could care less about. He can have all the potential in the world, but if you lack certain traits like leadership and unselfishness, then it won't translate. He has to be about winning, not his stats or his highlights.

Basically, I love Harrow's potential, but am worried that he's not on the right track to fulfill it. I am confident in our staff and the year off to help him get better and mature.

To me, Momo has a bit more of a NY type attitude and mentality, that could pay dividends right away for a young team trying to learn how to win next year.

If Momo though can't get the waiver, then I'd say Harrow has more upside.

LOLOLOL 

My friend who is  DIEHARD NC State fan and alum was killing him last night (after twice posting stuff on my wall last year about how good he was).  He said he sounded like Urquel!!!! LOL now I see.  Jesus...this kid is like 14 physically...which could mean that he is ready to explode once he physically matures.

Momo and Harrow...I'd take over Nuri and my boy Stith.  Proven guys...especially Momo who started the whole season for a team that came a shot away from the Final Four.  Stith would be the easiest to cut b/c of all the backcourt talent...the writing is on the wall.  Just call him into the office and be like "look fella, Nuri, Phil Greene, Harrow, Momo, HARRISON, Pointer, Garret...I like your game, but you're not going to see the floor.  You need to go to school that can give you 30 mpg."

Moose, this kid has no shot at a waiver because of his grandmother.  The NCAA only grants those VERY VERY rarely and I know Momo lived with his mother growing up.  It's a really slippery slope, because everyone has a sick grandparent or cousin.

You may be right.. and it probably does happen.. but your comments about Stith are pretty unethical.

Poison

LOLOLOL 

From what I'm told, Lindsey is leagues better than Harrow and Jones. Leagues better.

Marillac

I'm not questioning his desire to get better, but I am questioning how Harrow fits into a team. The videos and stuff I have seen from an NC State fan's perspective has been that he's got a lot of maturing to do. And lets be honest, 99% of the videos and stuff out there on him is showing off his dunking ability, which as a PG, I could care less about. He can have all the potential in the world, but if you lack certain traits like leadership and unselfishness, then it won't translate. He has to be about winning, not his stats or his highlights.

Basically, I love Harrow's potential, but am worried that he's not on the right track to fulfill it. I am confident in our staff and the year off to help him get better and mature.

To me, Momo has a bit more of a NY type attitude and mentality, that could pay dividends right away for a young team trying to learn how to win next year.

If Momo though can't get the waiver, then I'd say Harrow has more upside.

Harrow has much higher upside that Momo IMO....it's not even close.  I completely agree with you that Harrow needs to mature based on everything I've seen/heard/read.  The videos do show a lot of him dunking, but he also has a FILTHY handle and creative passing ability.  He also shot 87% from the line at 3 attempts per as a freshman and that is invaluable at the end of games out of your PG.  He has the athletic ability to match what we have 2-4. 

Moose

LOLOLOL 

Its about time the sun shined on us for a waiver like this.  Some of the waivers they have granted have been head scratching.

I don't think the NCAA wants negative press.  If they said no and he kicked and screamed and put up a fight the egg would be on their face in the ultra sensitive world we live in.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

LOLOLOL 

From what I'm told, Lindsey is leagues better than Harrow and Jones. Leagues better.

I find that hard to believe.  Lindsey is older than Harrow for one, but I think Harrow is a true point guard and as far as the NBA is concerned has all the physical tools to be a first rounder.  Is he mature?  Will he D up?  Will he put in the work?  Will he be a cancer?  Don't know the answers.  Only Lav can evaluate that when they meet. 

In terms of athletic ability, Lindsey is about a 6 or 7 while Harrow is a 9 at worst.  Lindsey looks infinitely stronger, however, and will def be a better scorer.  Different players...Harrow's handle is filthy and Lindsey's is adequate for the point position. 

MCNPA

LOLOLOL 

I find that hard to believe.  Lindsey is older than Harrow for one, but I think Harrow is a true point guard and as far as the NBA is concerned has all the physical tools to be a first rounder.  Is he mature?  Will he D up?  Will he put in the work?  Will he be a cancer?  Don't know the answers.  Only Lav can evaluate that when they meet. 

In terms of athletic ability, Lindsey is about a 6 or 7 while Harrow is a 9 at worst.  Lindsey looks infinitely stronger, however, and will def be a better scorer.  Different players...Harrow's handle is filthy and Lindsey's is adequate for the point position.

Regardless, we're not talking Lindsey vs Harrow.  We very likely will end up witty both, which is a great thing.  Don't know why people are questioning Harrows athleticicm.  No, it's it always important for a PG to dunk, but it says something very important about his level of speed, explosiveness and  athleticism.  So what the kid is skinny?  Doesn't mean much at all.  He's got a phenomenal handle, speed, passing ability and just needs some strength on his frame.  That will be easy sitting out a year and practicing with the team.  Harrow is a no-brainer if we can land him IMO. 

LOLOLOL 

I wish I could tell all this info like you from watching a 2 min highlight tape on youtube. Personally I can't gauge all of this by watching a guy's best plays. I can see some of the guy's capabilities and potential but if I put all my stock into highlights then Dele Coker was the next Dikembe Mutumbo.

I think it's safe to say these are all guys who were out of reach for St. John's potentially 2 years ago. Deciding on who not to take its a fantastic problem to have.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle