Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies
Not to defend Leonard (his real friends call him Leonard, not Lenny  ;D ), but he has broken a couple of committments since Lavin took over (Jevon Thomas for one).

I prefer Lenny but I know he likes Leonard which makes this all the more funny!!!  LOL!

And you're right on Thomas and also I believe he tweeted first that GG was headed to SJU the night before.  So I know he did not make it up.

However I can tell you that Zags is correct, SJU has not contacted him and it is not a definite they will offer.  No doubt if they do he will jump at it but SJU is evaluating a number of things.

Moose

Anyone have any idea how long it will take for MoMo to get an answer on his waiver request?

When I looked at the Elliot Williams transfer from Duke to Memphis he got that waiver approved 2 months after he transfered.  He transferred end of June and got the approval end of August.

Moose, do you remember what his reason was for the waiver?

His was a sick parent.  I wasn't trying to compare his reason to MoMo's.  But for timing purposes thats the most recent high profile transfer I recall.  I would love to know of a waiver was made for a grandparent.
Remember who broke the Slice news

DFF6

Anyone have any idea how long it will take for MoMo to get an answer on his waiver request?

When I looked at the Elliot Williams transfer from Duke to Memphis he got that waiver approved 2 months after he transfered.  He transferred end of June and got the approval end of August.

His was a sick parent.  I wasn't trying to compare his reason to MoMo's.  But for timing purposes thats the most recent high profile transfer I recall.  I would love to know of a waiver was made for a grandparent.

J'Mison Morgan

Moose

J'Mison Morgan

The difference is she was legal guardian and I think some have said that was not the case with MoMo.  I happen to think there shouldnt be a difference so if I was an esteemed lawyer like Mkras :) I would argue that.  A grandparent is a grandparent.  Not a 2nd cousin once removed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:43:52 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
I smell a jumping of the gun as well, and I personally hope Momo doesn't come. I don't really think he'll get the waiver.  NCAA's gotten a little more leery of these "I wanna go home" transfers - Murphy Holloway transferred back to South Carolina and wasn't eligible, right? And he transferred to join his freaking son.

Yes, Holloway did transfer to the Gamecocks to be near his son.  The difference is his son wasn't ill.  I'm not saying, MoMo is gonna be receive a waiver, but there is a difference in their situations.
You know, I I never got the rationale there for why an illness means a player should be able to transfer and play immediately. I mean, the player is on scholarship and only has to pay the expenses outside of what the schollie covers, and playing doesn't make any money - it takes time away from that players' time with a sick relative.

dR3w

I smell a jumping of the gun as well, and I personally hope Momo doesn't come. I don't really think he'll get the waiver.  NCAA's gotten a little more leery of these "I wanna go home" transfers - Murphy Holloway transferred back to South Carolina and wasn't eligible, right? And he transferred to join his freaking son.

Yes, Holloway did transfer to the Gamecocks to be near his son.  The difference is his son wasn't ill.  I'm not saying, MoMo is gonna be receive a waiver, but there is a difference in their situations.
You know, I I never got the rationale there for why an illness means a player should be able to transfer and play immediately. I mean, the player is on scholarship and only has to pay the expenses outside of what the schollie covers, and playing doesn't make any money - it takes time away from that players' time with a sick relative.

The 1 year sit penalty keeps kids from just transferring to play at a different/better school.  Theoretically that isn't the reason for his transfer when a sick relative is involved. ...  My 2 cents.

MoMo is recruiting St. John's more so than St. John's is recruiting MoMo. Lenn may turn out to be correct however its not done yet.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

I'd love to know if the NCAA has approved a waiver for an ill grandmother.  Then precendence would be set.

Precedence with the NCAA doesn't matter.  They hold double-standards on seemingly every issue.  This one is a toss-up as is most of these things, IMO.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

I support bringing Momo on board, but I do think peter has made some great (and truthful) points.

Momo is a headache.  Has been a headache since his HS days and I hear he's still a bit of a handful.  IF we decide to bring Jones on board, Lav will really need to work to make sure this A) doesnt alienate Nurideen Lindsey (who could be pissed off because of this) and B) doesnt affect the chemistry with the rest of the group.  However, the reason I support bringing Momo on board is that, after watching a number of our recruits play, I really feel a number of these guys will be deficient offensively coming into the Big East next year, and we could REALLY use some scoring and this would be a huge boost. 

This move is all about weighing the pros and cons.  I can certainly see and understand either side of this argument.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

I support bringing Momo on board, but I do think peter has made some great (and truthful) points.

Momo is a headache.  Has been a headache since his HS days and I hear he's still a bit of a handful.  IF we decide to bring Jones on board, Lav will really need to work to make sure this A) doesnt alienate Nurideen Lindsey (who could be pissed off because of this) and B) doesnt affect the chemistry with the rest of the group.  However, the reason I support bringing Momo on board is that, after watching a number of our recruits play, I really feel a number of these guys will be deficient offensively coming into the Big East next year, and we could REALLY use some scoring and this would be a huge boost. 

This move is all about weighing the pros and cons.  I can certainly see and understand either side of this argument.
dont worry about nurideen if hes good enough he'll earn the minutes same with everyone

crgreen

I'd love to know if the NCAA has approved a waiver for an ill grandmother.  Then precendence would be set.

Precedence with the NCAA doesn't matter.  They hold double-standards on seemingly every issue.  This one is a toss-up as is most of these things, IMO.

Amen to that.  Back in 1998 Virginia Tech had a terrific frosh guard (10.6 pts, 3.6 assists) named Jenis Grindstaff.  He transferred to Tennessee, because BOTH his parents were being treated for Cancer at the UT Medical Center.  The NCAA made the kid sit out the transfer year.  Both of his parents passed away during that year he sat out.  And in the category of "can things get worse?" - in the Vols season opener, after sitting out that season, and just 3 weeks after his mom had died, the kid tore his ACL, and had to sit a 2nd year. Eventually played 2 full seasons at Tennessee, but was never close to the same player again (he was a 7pt 3assit reserve as a senior).

It is TOTALLY aribitrary when it comes to the NCAA....

Marillac

I completely agree with you about our class a whole not having a lot of scorers, that is, guys that can create opportunities in the half court (at least first year), but our back court can.  Nuri can get to the rim at will and Harrison can get to the rim, pull up for a midrange, or launch three's.    I think those two will work really well, because defenses will have to cave to slow Nuri down and that will leave Harrison space to shoot or head to the basket.  They will be tough to defend. 
I actually think the two biggest factors that Momo could add would be winning and tough defense.  I think Nuri and Harrison will be a rather soft defensie back court year one.  I'll be honest, Nuri's defense from the broadcasted games was as bad as I've ever seen in terms of effort, but I also thought Hardy would be a liability on defense and he turned out to be pretty good this year.

ras

If he gets a waiver he will be a senior when Jevon is a frosh. Should not upset Jevon,Harrow is another story. An experienced upperclassman is a plus.

Marillac

Momo to St. John's and Harrow to Kentucky per UK twitter.  DAMN I wanted that kid!!!!!

NYCoffey

Either you believe Robbins that its done, or Zagoria that we haven't even contacted him yet. I am leaning towards Zagoria. Neither has went back on their reports so who knows.

Marillac

Either you believe Robbins that its done, or Zagoria that we haven't even contacted him yet. I am leaning towards Zagoria. Neither has went back on their reports so who knows.

It's ALL OVER twitter now.  Momo to STJ and Harrow to UK.

i think its good we get a kid from an elite eight team he'll be able to play right away..supposedly.. and he'll be a junior so whether they start him or not i dont think he takes away from the team i think he'll be a good edition and it will create more competition whoever plays deserves it

It's not really a shocker that Harrow goes that way, if it happens.  Cal sits across from a PG and says look what I've done.  Look at my PG's.  Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, Brandon Knight.  Teague will probably be gone to the show after 1 year and you'll be next.  Also Kentucky's not listed with any of the top five PG's in the class of 2012.  Pretty appealing really if you can get over the smell of snake oil and grease.

PS - that doesn't even include Bledsoe and now Liggins who was recruited as a PG (not by Cal if I'm not mistaken) but has become a draftable commodity under Cal's tutelage.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:40:14 PM by yankcranker »

It's ALL OVER twitter now.  Momo to STJ and Harrow to UK.

Link?

Well, if its true he's headed here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=45853

His game log is really telling, IMO. His best games seemed to come in close games (Wins and Losses) and on the road/neutral court.

7-11 (4-5 3pt) 20 pts @ BYU (Loss)
9-12  20 pts @ Ore St. (Loss)
9-18 27 pts @ Cal  (2 pt win)
5-10 (7-8 FT) 18 pts vs Memphis in the NCAA Tourney (2 pt win)
6-10 16 pts vs Duke in the tourney

He also had his fair share of duds (Texas game), and was virtually non-existent in some of their blowout losses which really hurt his averages. But when I read the Arizona message boards and they rave about his on-court toughness, I can see where they're coming from. And he was only a sophomore, and I for one, would be ecstatic if he could play next year. The College game is so far different from the NBA, and I think the concept of pass-first point guards are overrated anyway. Give me a leader at point guard who knows how to take over games,  bunch of athletic scorers/guys who can run the floor on both ends and plug them into Lavin's/Dunlap's system.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:41:42 PM by 0404 »