Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies

Marillac

I really wanted harrow but its a great time to be a johnnys fan when freakin momo jones is the backup plan!

Great to have another local on board! Even if he has to sit out the year, he can take the point over when Nuri leaves early. What happens with Phil Greene?

$500 standing bet to any and all takers that think Nuri does NOT get drafted in the first round in the next two years.  Stop this talk about Nuri to the NBA...it is beyond ridiculous. 

If it wasn't 1st round I would probably take the bet.

I do not think the odds are good that Nuri gets drafted in the first round in the next two years.  But I hope he does.  Nonetheless, I'd put up $500 that he does not. 

Sorry, fixed my post.  I don't think there is any way in h'ell--with all due respect to Nuri--that he gets drafted in the first round (and I'd be willing to say the next 10 picks) over the next two years.  He'll be like 22 after the season (at least?) he is a tweener...he doesnt have the size/jumper to be a two and he doesn't have the athletic ability/handle to be a point.   It's just not happening.  That doesn't mean he can't be a great college player like Scotty Reynolds, though.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:47:51 PM by jumpinjohnny »

boo3

Marillac-  not necessarily disagreeing with you, but, what are you basing your opinion on? One game?  No one has really seen this kid play.   There is little, to no video of him.  I get it, you watched a game and were not impressed.  However, others have stated he is a legit scorer.  Monta Ellis is the same size as this kid. He's a tweener.   Not comparing the two, just saying that tweeners that are scorers make it.  I just don't get what you see, or don't see, because there is nothing out there. One game means absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:19:49 PM by boo3 »

A lot of chatter on twitter that this is not a done deal.

Marillac

Marillac-  not necessarily disagreeing with you, but, what are you basing your opinion on? One game?  No one has really seen this kid play.   There is little, to no video of him.  I get it, you watched a game and were not impressed.  However, others have stated he is a legit scorer.  Monta Ellis is the same size as this kid. He's a tweener.   Not comparing the two, just saying that tweeners that are scorers make it.  I just don't get what you see, or don't see, because there is nothing out there. One game means absolutely nothing.

People don't understand how unbelievably hard it is to make it to the NBA...how many AWESOME college players haven't been able to make that leap.  But without seeing this kid, people are saying he is a candidate to leave early and that talk is just absurd.  If he leaves early, he'll be doing it like Carleton Scott from Notre Dame...not expecting to be drafted.
Yes, he's the same size as Ellis, but Ellis is a freak of an athlete and Nuri isn't.  Nuri is a tweener, a combo...and there is no harder position to make the NBA than a 1/2...NONE.  Our legend, Marcus Hatten, didn't even get a sniff and he stayed four years.  Bootsy didn't get a sniff and he was a lights out shooter/scorer that stayed all four years.
I think Nuri will score and I'm hoping he can be a great Johnny and college player, but he is already like 21 or 22, without out-of-this-planet athleticism, a great jumper, or a real position.  Not happening.  If somebody disagrees, I'd be glad to take their money because it's obvious.

DFF6

People don't understand how unbelievably hard it is to make it to the NBA...how many AWESOME college players haven't been able to make that leap.  But without seeing this kid, people are saying he is a candidate to leave early and that talk is just absurd.  If he leaves early, he'll be doing it like Carleton Scott from Notre Dame...not expecting to be drafted.
Yes, he's the same size as Ellis, but Ellis is a freak of an athlete and Nuri isn't.  Nuri is a tweener, a combo...and there is no harder position to make the NBA than a 1/2...NONE.  Our legend, Marcus Hatten, didn't even get a sniff and he stayed four years.  Bootsy didn't get a sniff and he was a lights out shooter/scorer that stayed all four years.
I think Nuri will score and I'm hoping he can be a great Johnny and college player, but he is already like 21 or 22, without out-of-this-planet athleticism, a great jumper, or a real position.  Not happening.  If somebody disagrees, I'd be glad to take their money because it's obvious.

Hatten and Bootsy are great examples.  I think Hardy will unfortunately join that list.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:35:06 PM by DFF6 »

crgreen

I'll try to get this post to Baron Davis.  HE'S pretty convinced Nuri will be in the league.   :)

Marillac

I'll try to get this post to Baron Davis.  HE'S pretty convinced Nuri will be in the league.   :)

If Baron think so, then it must be true :)

crgreen

Kinda drifted off the "MOMO" track!

If he gets the waiver, we'll be running out SEVEN top 70 recruits, and 2 JC All Americans next season.  Made it to the dance with none last year...

You should check out the free scout board for Arizona hoops - I've never read so much "love" for a player who's walking away from a team.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=106&f=1668

Some of you guys are crazy, we've gotten a bit spoiled here in NYC I love it. Momo is a great player and someone we would have absolutely killed for in the past, and I am very pumped on this. #1 class vs. #2 class down in Kentucky... we are more then back when we have debates like this going in... I'm loving this.

IF this is all true welcome aboard Momo...

boo3

Anyone who would bet $500 that someone will be a 1st round draft pick that they have never seen play is an idiot.  Your not exactly going out a limb there Mr. Moneymaker.  ;)

To take the flipside, the NBA is littered with players no one thought would ever make it.  Heart and desire play a huge role as well as ability and physical tools.  You need them all the be a success at the next level. To judge someone's heart and determination that you've never seen isn't a smart move.  How about this little guy Barrea on the Mavs.  How many times was he told he didn't have a chance. Probably a lot.

Just saw this on Sporting News:

Former Arizona point guard Lamont “Momo” Jones wants to transfer and play closer to his Harlem home, but he reportedly has not heard from St. John's.

A person close to Jones told ZagsBlog.com on Thursday afternoon that St. John's coaches have not made contact with Jones since he announced Monday that he would leave Arizona. This report is in conflict with a New York Post report earlier in the day that said Jones had agreed to transfer to St. John's.

St. John's has nine incoming players for next season and also is involved in recruiting another transfer, N.C. State's Ryan Harrow, who won't be eligible until 2012-13.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-05-19/lamont-momo-jones-future-still-in-doubt#ixzz1MqF0aCB7
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 06:54:02 PM by NYMase »

MCNPA

The more I think about it, MoMo coming here over Harrow might be more of a blessing.  IF MoMo is able to play this season, he gives us a physically ready D1 guard and infusion of talent.  Even better than a JC AA would.  In addition, MOMo is less likely to upset the balance with Jevon because Jones would potentially be a senior when Jevon steps in here and Nuri would be a junior. It would balance out the PG's quite well.  I liked Harrow a lot, but once again, MoMo is less likely to interfere with Jevon's commitment to SJU.

MCNPA

Former Arizona point guard Lamont “Momo” Jones wants to transfer and play closer to his Harlem home, but he reportedly has not heard from St. John's.

A person close to Jones told ZagsBlog.com on Thursday afternoon that St. John's coaches have not made contact with Jones since he announced Monday that he would leave Arizona. This report is in conflict with a New York Post report earlier in the day that said Jones had agreed to transfer to St. John's.

St. John's has nine incoming players for next season and also is involved in recruiting another transfer, N.C. State's Ryan Harrow, who won't be eligible until 2012-13.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-05-19/lamont-momo-jones-future-still-in-doubt#ixzz1MqF0aCB7

I would put money on the fact that MoMo has more than certainly heard from at least one person on the SJU staff.  No chance nobody has spoken to him yet.  Maybe just not showing their hand, but with Hicks on staff, he has certainly heard from somebody.

Marillac

I would put money on the fact that MoMo has more than certainly heard from at least one person on the SJU staff.  No chance nobody has spoken to him yet.  Maybe just not showing their hand, but with Hicks on staff, he has certainly heard from somebody.

I agree.  NO EFFING CHANCE Hicks hasn't talked to this kid.  Please.  Momo would instantly become our third strongest player behind Pointer and GG....and sadly, his listed weight of 200 puts him in a tie for 4th heaviest player on the roster. LOL

I still want Harrow bad....the kid coudl be an animal in two years.

ras

Just read the Arizona forum. Some say he is not a true point guard but they all agree he has a lot of heart.
They also mention he   has intangibles,and is a leader

So Dave is reporting this.  He was the one who said that it was unlikely Momo to SJU would happen.

Now he is reporting it is done?

Yea I wasn't confirming at first because I was still checking sources. I confirmed with multiple sources today that MoMo is coming to St. John's.

Lav wants to load himself up with guards not to leave himself short. This might be an indication that JT's academic developments are in jeopardy for 2012.

I also found out that Harrow will be going to UK in the process as Lavin wasn't going on a goose chase to land him. He knows what he wants and gets it. MoMo was there as a sure thing and Harrow was not. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

I also found out that MoMo tried to transfer to St. John's before the start of last season too for whatever that is worth.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Welcome aboard MoMo!

I really hope he gets that waiver...it will certainly help to balance out the schollies a little.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

I am assuming that the rules changes with regard to staff members that kept Mo Hicks kids away from STJ has no ramifications on this transfer since Momo hasn't played for Hicks for four years.

So Dave is reporting this.  He was the one who said that it was unlikely Momo to SJU would happen.

Now he is reporting it is done?

Yea I wasn't confirming at first because I was still checking sources. I confirmed with multiple sources today that MoMo is coming to St. John's.

Lav wants to load himself up with guards not to leave himself short. This might be an indication that JT's academic developments are in jeopardy for 2012.

I also found out that Harrow will be going to UK in the process as Lavin wasn't going on a goose chase to land him. He knows what he wants and gets it. MoMo was there as a sure thing and Harrow was not. 

Zags has a story up now stating it's not done with quotes from his camp.  I hope you are right because it would be a huge matzoh ball :)