Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies

gman

Saga mentioned Momo might look at marquette, south Florida and others. Didn't realize Wisconsin was close to home.

gman

I guess I'm slow and he already chose ions. Nothing new for me!

I would guess him staying so close to home makes the NCAA's decision a bit easier?

Now say Momo does get the waiver, Iona would have to have one of the best backcourts in the nation along with a top big man. Scott Machado,Momo Jones and Mike Glover. Am I biased with this?

Oh I agree.  I would put it right behind the UK backcourt of Marquis Teague and Doron Lamb, UNC's backcourt of Kendall Marshall and Dexter Strickland and just ahead of Duke's backcourt of Austin Rivers and Tyler Thornton/Andre Dawkins/Seth Curry and Arizona's backcourt of Josiah Turner/Nick Johnson/Jordin Mayes.

First stop New Rochelle, next stop New Orleans and the Final Four!!!!  LOL!!!

Like I said,ONE OF THE BEST. Alot of the guys youve mentioned havent played a college game yet. Machado was top 3 in assists

Moose

I would guess him staying so close to home makes the NCAA's decision a bit easier?

Now say Momo does get the waiver, Iona would have to have one of the best backcourts in the nation along with a top big man. Scott Machado,Momo Jones and Mike Glover. Am I biased with this?

Oh I agree.  I would put it right behind the UK backcourt of Marquis Teague and Doron Lamb, UNC's backcourt of Kendall Marshall and Dexter Strickland and just ahead of Duke's backcourt of Austin Rivers and Tyler Thornton/Andre Dawkins/Seth Curry and Arizona's backcourt of Josiah Turner/Nick Johnson/Jordin Mayes.

Like I said,ONE OF THE BEST. Alot of the guys youve mentioned havent played a college game yet. Machado was top 3 in assists

Would he be top 3 in assists playing BCS conference schedule?  Tough to say a MAAC team has one of the best backcourts in the country when they are playing Manhattan and Canisius twice a yr.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Congrats Baldi!!!!

Again I think his chance at a waiver is thin but at least he stays in the area whcih gives him a shot.

First Sterling Gibbs doesn't bite at SHU and now Momo.  Wow!!!
SHU = Dead Coach Walking

Would he be top 3 in assists playing BCS conference schedule?  Tough to say a MAAC team has one of the best backcourts in the country when they are playing Manhattan and Canisius twice a yr.

Machado vs Syracuse had 11 points and 13 assists, against Richmond he had 28 pts and 6 assists and matched up with  Charles Jenkins{future pro) and Hofstra he had 17 and 11

"Macho Man" Machado ...  ;D

Machado vs Syracuse had 11 points and 13 assists, against Richmond he had 28 pts and 6 assists and matched up with  Charles Jenkins{future pro) and Hofstra he had 17 and 11

Please no one would take Machado over Austin Rivers or Teague I don't care how many games they have played or not played and you know it.  Both of those guys, infact ALL of those guys, would start day one at Iona period.  End of story.  Those guys are future pros in many instances.

And please with this cherry picking games.  Have him play a six or seven game stretch against Pitt, Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, then step out of conference for a game against Austin Rivers and Duke down in Cameron and then back to Cincy.

Against Siena he had 5 points 5 assists and 3 turnovers I guess that means he sucks again. 

Re: Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA
« Reply #508 on: June 08, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Guys give me a break with this experience stuff.  I know it helps but no one on this planet would take Scott Machado over Austin Rivers, Quinn Cook, Josiah Turner etc. I don't care if they just changed their own diapers.  Those guys would start for Iona or Manhattan or (insert every God for saken MAAC school) from day one and you know it.  So by definition they are better then anyone in the MAAC.

I agree Iona will be one of the favorites in the MAAC and if Jones is eligible this coming season then they will probably be THE favorite.  But Jones is a great example.  The guy avg. 9 points.  Not terribly impressive on the surface.  But he did it at a big time program called Arizona and does anyone doubt he steps in at Iona and starts day one?  Because the gulf between the MAAC and Arizona is as wide as the Atlantic Ocean.

And people talk about big time freshmen like Felipe Lopez and Zendon Hamilton being disappointments early on.  Perhaps.  But a disappointment in the Big East is one thing.  A disappointment in the MAAC is something else.  In other words in their freshmen seasons they went 7-11 in the BE and went to the NIT.  Disappointment.  But translate that to the MAAC.  Are you telling me they would have gone 7-11 in the MAAC?  My guess is they would have probably won the MAAC and if you asked Brian Mahoney if he could trade that season with his players for a season in the MAAC instead of the BE and have it count the same in terms of perception I think he would have taken his chances in the MAAC, no?

Yes guys disappoint.  But that does not mean they would have had the same results against CLEARLY INFERIOR competition if given the same team and same players etc but instead played in the MAAC.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:38:57 PM by fordham96 »

Poison

« Reply #509 on: June 08, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »
If he's going to get to play next year, Iona makes more sense than Seton Hall. With Hazell, Seton Hall is a bad team. Without him, they're terrible. We saw that last year. Jones would take Iona to the dance, and they might even make some noise. 

« Reply #510 on: June 08, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »
Guys give me a break with this experience stuff.  I know it helps but no one on this planet would take Scott Machado over Austin Rivers, Quinn Cook, Josiah Turner etc. I don't care if they just changed their own diapers.  Those guys would start for Iona or Manhattan or (insert every God for saken MAAC school) from day one and you know it.  So by definition they are better then anyone in the MAAC.

I agree Iona will be one of the favorites in the MAAC and if Jones is eligible this coming season then they will probably be THE favorite.  But Jones is a great example.  The guy avg. 9 points.  Not terribly impressive on the surface.  But he did it at a big time program called Arizona and does anyone doubt he steps in at Iona and starts day one?  Because the gulf between the MAAC and Arizona is as wide as the Atlantic Ocean.

And people talk about big time freshmen like Felipe Lopez and Zendon Hamilton being disappointments early on.  Perhaps.  But a disappointment in the Big East is one thing.  A disappointment in the MAAC is something else.  In other words in their freshmen seasons they went 7-11 in the BE and went to the NIT.  Disappointment.  But translate that to the MAAC.  Are you telling me they would have gone 7-11 in the MAAC?  My guess is they would have probably won the MAAC and if you asked Brian Mahoney if he could trade that season with his players for a season in the MAAC instead of the BE and have it count the same in terms of perception I think he would have taken his chances in the MAAC, no?

Yes guys disappoint.  But that does not mean they would have had the same results against CLEARLY INFERIOR competition if given the same team and same players etc but instead played in the MAAC.

Sounds like fordham has had enough of Baldi pissing in his Cheerios. Next years Iona backcourt will be better than probably half the Big East teams'

« Reply #511 on: June 08, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »
I think I made made my point.  I don't see anyone disputing my point that all of those players including the SJU freshmen would start for any MAAC team and everyone knows that. 

Iona MAY have the best team in the metro area next year (assuming Momo gets a waiver) RELATIVE to their level of play and their conference.  I will not concede they are better then SJU (assuming SJU does not go 1-17!!!!) because even a mediocre SJU team can compete and win a MAAC title.  It is apples and oranges.

Sounds like fordham has had enough of Baldi pissing in his Cheerios. Next years Iona backcourt will be better than probably half the Big East teams'

LJSA

« Reply #512 on: June 08, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
I think I made made my point.  I don't see anyone disputing my point that all of those players including the SJU freshmen would start for any MAAC team and everyone knows that.

Put our sixth through 10th players in 2012-13 as starters on any team in the MAAC and they would win that conference.

« Reply #513 on: June 08, 2011, 10:16:30 PM »

Iona MAY have the best team in the metro area next year (assuming Momo gets a waiver) RELATIVE to their level of play and their conference.  I will not concede they are better then SJU (assuming SJU does not go 1-17!!!!) because even a mediocre SJU team can compete and win a MAAC title.  It is apples and oranges.

Dont take it so seriously! So for just next season, do you think Iona has a shot at being a better than St JOhns?

« Reply #514 on: June 08, 2011, 10:18:25 PM »

Put our sixth through 10th players in 2012-13 as starters on any team in the MAAC and they would win that conference.

The eligible or uneligible 6-10 players?

Poison

« Reply #515 on: June 08, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
Is it really so crazy to think that mid major talent could succeed in the Big East?

When was the last time that mid major talent finished in the top half of the BE? Oh yea, LAST YEAR, when WE did it.

« Reply #516 on: June 09, 2011, 03:30:11 AM »
here's the article from the associated press...

NEW YORK (AP) -- Former Arizona point guard Momo Jones has decided to transfer to Iona, according to several reports.
   Jones, a New York City native who led the Wildcats to a berth in the regional finals last season, had announced he wanted to return to the East Coast to be closer to his family.
   He averaged 9.7 points and 2.4 assists last season as a sophomore, starting every game as the Wildcats went 30-8, losing to eventual champion Connecticut one game shy of the Final Four.
   "I look forward to going to the Gaels and pursuing my dreams of getting my degree and basketball career. My decision was basically solely on being close to my family and still having an opportunity to showcase my skills," Jones told SNY-TV through his adviser, Dermon Player, a former assistant coach at St. John's and Seton Hall.
   Iona went 25-12 last season, losing to Saint Peter's in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference championship game.
   (

Gumby

« Reply #517 on: June 09, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »
Now we are back to the question of the waiver.  And do we care?

Based on Momo's vast history of transferring, the fact that he was probably going to be replaced in the starting PG spot, and his family care situation is a bit vague, I do not see the NCAA ruling in his favor.  But hey, who can predict how the NCAA will decide in any situation?

Moose

« Reply #518 on: June 09, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »

Based on Momo's vast history of transferring, the fact that he was probably going to be replaced in the starting PG spot, and his family care situation is a bit vague, I do not see the NCAA ruling in his favor.  But hey, who can predict how the NCAA will decide in any situation?

Since Baldi loves pushing our buttons I hope he doesn't get the waiver :)

But also Iona is close to me and I try to make it to some games each year.  Would be fun to watch.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #519 on: June 09, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »

Since Baldi loves pushing our buttons I hope he doesn't get the waiver :)

But also Iona is close to me and I try to make it to some games each year.  Would be fun to watch.

LOL. Machado,Momo,Glover and Smyth will be fun to watch. Gaels are stacked at the guard position-it looks like Trinity Fields would be the 3rd guard off the bench behind Jermel Jenkins and Sean Armand. I wouldnt be surprised to see 4 guards and Glover out there at times