2008-09 St. John's Basketball Preview: #142

• 32 replies
2008-09 St. John's Basketball Preview: #142
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:10:46 PM »
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/200809-st-john039s-basketball-preview-142-42467

St. John's Basketball

St. John’s Red Storm

Overall Rank: #142
Conference Rank: #14 Big East

2007-08: 11-19, 5-13, 14th
2007-08 postseason: none

The youth and inexperience excuses are not going to fly this year at St. John’s. Well, at least not as much. This is still a team that only has three upperclassmen on the roster, but a large group of freshmen saw a lot of playing time last season. Anthony Mason Jr. is one of those senior leaders and the forward is a game changer when he is healthy. During Big East play in 2008, when he was almost at full strength, Mason Jr. performed very well and ended the year averaging 14.0 points and 4.4 rebounds.

Who’s Out:
Replacing Eugene Lawrence at the point guard spot is a concern. Lawrence’s turnovers might have been a little high and his scoring was inconsistent, but he was a good team leader. Backcourt mate Larry Wright was the most consistent outside shooter on the team, but will not be suiting up for the Red Storm in 2008. Little used wing Mike Cavataio has also left the program after his freshman campaign.

Who’s In:
With so few losses on the team, this year’s group of freshmen will not be asked to contribute nearly as much as 2007’s class of newcomers. But the backcourt certainly needs some more depth and Quincy Roberts and TyShawn Edmondson will provide just that. Roberts, a 6-5 shooting guard, is a decent shooter and could fill a role off the bench right away. Edmondson will fill a couple needs for the Johnnies. He is really a point guard, but he has enough scoring prowess to play off the ball as well and that is what this team really needs right now, but a back-up point guard is nice to have too. Phil Wait, a 7-1 center, will need some time to develop his game, but he could be an interesting prospect to keep an eye on in the upcoming years.

Who to Watch:
Malik Boothe, D.J. Kennedy and Paris Horne saw plenty of action as freshmen in the backcourt, but are they ready to take over a majority of the minutes? The biggest issue is Boothe replacing Lawrence at the point. He showed plenty of potential and poise as a freshman and even had a better assist-to-turnover ratio than Lawrence, but fitting in a new point guard is always a concern. Kennedy started nearly every game last season and proved to be a capable scorer getting to the basket. Finding somebody who could consistently hit the three-pointer besides Mason Jr. would be nice though.

Final Projection:
Just like in the backcourt, the frontcourt is full of talented youngsters who need to start turning potential into production if St. John’s wants to have a successful season. Sophomore Justin Burrell is the best of the bunch after averaging 10.8 points and a team high 5.9 rebounds as a freshman. Dele Coker started a handful of games and the 6-10 center was starting to look more comfortable around the basket by the end of his freshman capamign. Add fellow sophomores Sean Evans and Rob Thomas, who might finally be healthy, and experienced senior Tomas Jasiulionis to the mix and the Red Storm’s frontcourt is suddenly looking pretty good. However, the team looked pretty good last year too and still ended with a disappointing 5-13 conference record.

Projected Post-season Tournament: none

Projected Starting Five:
Malik Boothe, Sophomore, Guard, 3.0 points per game
D.J. Kennedy, Sophomore, Guard, 7.8 points per game
Anthony Mason, Jr., Senior, Forward, 14.0 points per game
Justin Burrell, Sophomore, Forward, 10.8 points per game
Tomas Jasiulionis, Senior, Center, 2.0 points per game

sjd8886

Re: 2008-09 St. John's Basketball Preview: #142
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »
besides tj being somewhat of a question mark at center, that's not that bad a starting 5...too bad we play in the big east huh :(

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:34:20 AM »
besides tj being somewhat of a question mark at center, that's not that bad a starting 5...too bad we play in the big east huh :(

Swap TJ for Wait/Coker & we got a pretty damn good starting 5 that will be VERY competitive in the Big East... Throw a healthy Thomas into the "mix" and we can make some "noise" this year imo..  :o ;) ;D 8) .. Should be an "interesting" year!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »
I really doubt TJ/Wait/Coker starts. I'd expect Sean Evans to start alongside Burrell and we run a small lineup
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »
That would be the best Idea yet JJ

I learn My lesson for Siding with Seniors last year

This Year I am Sorry Tomas has to ride the pine

And 13 or 14 is about right for this years team in the Big East

But I have to see our out of Conference schedule before I say 142
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:29:49 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »
I really doubt TJ/Wait/Coker starts. I'd expect Sean Evans to start alongside Burrell and we run a small lineup

If u remember i suggested that Evans would end up starting at center as well. But that was before we signed Wait. IMO, if all the "hype"(lol) about him is true he could end up starting before the year is out. Because we have not had a legit post player with back to the basket moves in a long, LONG time. Plus, he would free up Burrell & open up our three point shooters as well.... of course this is ALL speculation at this point. The bottom line is that we now have OPTIONS at that position. Which is a very good thing. How it all works out remains to be seen... Let the games begin!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:00:21 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »
at least we made the top 144!   :P :'(

Considering they are reviewing 144 teams this report is pretty decent/accurate.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »

If u remember i suggested that Evans would end up starting at center as well. But that was before we signed Wait. IMO, if all the "hype"(lol) about him is true he could end up starting before the year is out. Because we have not had a legit post player with back to the basket moves in a long, LONG time. Plus, he would free up Burrell & open up our three point shooters as well.... of course this is ALL speculation at this point. The bottom line is that we now have OPTIONS at that position. Which is a very good thing. How it all works out remains to be seen... Let the games begin!

I actually would like to see (a healthy) Thomas at the 4 and Burrell at the 5 for extended minutes during some games...depending on the matchup of course.  I don't see Thomas playing anywhere other than the 4 spot. 

Lets just hope someone is able to step up on a consistent basis to help JB out this year.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 06:27:46 PM »

I actually would like to see (a healthy) Thomas at the 4 and Burrell at the 5 for extended minutes during some games...depending on the matchup of course.  I don't see Thomas playing anywhere other than the 4 spot. 

Lets just hope someone is able to step up on a consistent basis to help JB out this year.

Rob Thomas is the "wildcard" in this whole deal. If he is 100% he could be the third scorer(Mase-JB-RT) we need to start winning games. PERIOD..  :o 8) ... Throw in contributions from Kennedy, Wait, Horne & Boothe... plus, get back to playing PHYSICAL, tough, in your face 'D'... and IMHO, we got a chance to "do some things" this year... can't wait for the start of the season.. ;D .. peace!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 06:31:12 PM by oldred10 »

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »
we got a chance to "do some things" this year... can't wait for the start of the season.. Grin .. peace!

You sound like a broken record----you have been saying this for the last 3 years.....so far we are predicted to finish somewhere near 14th....what is "do some things?"  Finish 12th??????? We are going to be horrible again this season...What can only save Slappie Roberts to a winning team is landing Lance for the following season.

And YES---you are a hype machine.......go on campus and tell me how strong and big this guys are and how awesome they play in pick up games. It has helped us out for the last 4 years..... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

And why don't you set up that party at Sly Foxx that you said you would when you lost the bet???

Oh wait---Slappie is calling you.....time to clean the showers.... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 09:32:26 PM »
I expect to read this same write up in every B-Ball magazine until the season starts. This is exactly what I expected. Overall we have an upgraded roster and a soph class who have played one BE season together and worked out during the off-season......the questions is can this group put it all together on the court. Can they win the games they should win (small school locals), can they beat most of the mid majors they face and finish at least four games below .500 in the BE (being realistic).

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 09:52:17 PM »
four games below .500 in the BE (being realistic).

Yes--this is what we signed up for 4 years ago.. Our home run coach at the end of year 5 is still 4 games below 500 in the BE..........FAILED........

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »
four games below .500 in the BE (being realistic).

Yes--this is what we signed up for 4 years ago.. Our home run coach at the end of year 5 is still 4 games below 500 in the BE..........FAILED........

speaking of broken records...

Randomhero423

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 11:28:55 PM »
truth hurts.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 11:40:37 PM »
the broken record is finishing somewhere between 130 and 150 in the country every year...then listening to guys hope for one or two three star players to come in and turn us around.

btw...from what i hear...i'd be totally shocked if lance ever steps foot on a college campus. 

and scotch...i forgot your excuse.  why did you welsh on your bet, again???

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »

My opinion was based on what I heard from the coaching staff after we signed Wait.

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 11:43:19 PM »
Realistically we can improve our OOC record and maybe slightly improve or stay the same in the Big East.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »
We all know the coach isn't a home run, and if we were the administration, someone else might be in charge of the team.  That's pretty much a given.  Is there hope that they will be better? With a lot of "ifs", yes, there is.  Do I expect them to actually improve?  Not holding my breath or mortgaging the apartment on it. 

There are some things that happened last year that were markedly worse than the year before: the offense was even more inept, the defense (especially 2 pt fg defense) was poor.  In past years the team has been good enough to pull one win over a ranked team out of their a**, between the double digit beatings.  Those improvements are worth a few wins, maybe even a .500 record.  Maybe even better if some guys markedly improve. 

But I'm not holding my breath.  This team is a long way from decent basketball.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 10:13:46 PM »
I have removed many posts from this thread as it went completely off topic. I strive to talk about basketball and other off topic posts not acting like little grammar school girls. Everything has been saved and logged and nothing was deleted. 

This was a great article and thread to discuss the upcoming season and lets keep it that way. Any concerns please PM or Email me.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 10:17:01 PM »
I think Choz's last post would translate as "right on."  It took me a while to figure out but I don't think it needed to be deleted.