Who Transfers?

• 575 replies

TONYD3

Re: Who Transfers?
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2016, 05:04:31 PM »
Jones played a great game yesterday. One great half doesn't change my opinion of him.

70 points and 27 rebounds over his last four.
Four great games does not change my opinion of him.  :)
Besides last night, were any of those games close?

TONYD3

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 05:11:33 PM »
I want to win. I don't think any of these 4 next year are big east level players. Maybe Ellison can be a backup. I hope our new guys are much better. If these 4 were better we would have won more games.

Foad

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
I want to win. I don't think any of these 4 next year are big east level players. Maybe Ellison can be a backup. I hope our new guys are much better. If these 4 were better we would have won more games.

Lavin's #3 ranked class that included 2 NBA players and the third leading scorer in school history won 13 games as freshmen.

ras

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »
Jones played a great game yesterday. One great half doesn't change my opinion of him.

70 points and 27 rebounds over his last four.
I don't see the point of him leaving to replace w another grad transfer. Now if by some miracle we get Thon and Ferguson, that's a different story.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
Somebody has to get points and boards even on the worst of teams.  Jones was great last night but then blew it for us with back to back mistakes.  I wouldn't be pissed if he came back and that says a lot for how I felt about him when he started. I praise him for sticking with SJU all these years. The reality is that if we are depending on him for anything next year, we are in some trouble.

goredmen

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
Jones should transfer and the team would be best served by him transferring. Sure it would be nice to have him play 15 or so minutes a game but since we will be an NIT team at absolute best next year, would rather see those minutes go to one of the younger bigs. He would be eligible to be a play immediately 5th year transfer if he has the credits to graduate so going to a MAAC or NEC team would give him a solid chance to pick up serious minutes at a level that better suits him

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 06:45:50 PM »
Jones should transfer and the team would be best served by him transferring. Sure it would be nice to have him play 15 or so minutes a game but since we will be an NIT team at absolute best next year, would rather see those minutes go to one of the younger bigs. He would be eligible to be a play immediately 5th year transfer if he has the credits to graduate so going to a MAAC or NEC team would give him a solid chance to pick up serious minutes at a level that better suits him

I'm not so sure we are an NIT...could easily be dancing.  We had Jones bringing the ball up and guys like Balamou taking it once it was there.  You can't even compare Lovett-Ponds--Mussini-Ahmed to that.  This years tells us nothing about next year IMO. 

goredmen

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 06:50:20 PM »

I'm not so sure we are an NIT...could easily be dancing.  We had Jones bringing the ball up and guys like Balamou taking it once it was there.  You can't even compare Lovett-Ponds--Mussini-Ahmed to that.  This years tells us nothing about next year IMO. 

Agree that this year has no bearing on next year but boy if you are even somewhat realistically expecting to be dancing next year you are setting yourself up for big disappointment. Our only PG will have no college D1 game experience and neither will our best scorer. While the other players should be improved, they are still young and in Yakwe and Sima's cases, still raw. I'm hoping for an NIT next year but wouldn't be surprised with a 1 or 2 game under .500 season. Think two years from now is when the lofty expectations should start

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 06:56:06 PM »
Listen even if we make the NIT, we probably shouldn't show up. We are St. freaking John's m i rite?

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 06:57:03 PM »

Agree that this year has no bearing on next year but boy if you are even somewhat realistically expecting to be dancing next year you are setting yourself up for big disappointment. Our only PG will have no college D1 game experience and neither will our best scorer. While the other players should be improved, they are still young and in Yakwe and Sima's cases, still raw. I'm hoping for an NIT next year but wouldn't be surprised with a 1 or 2 game under .500 season. Think two years from now is when the lofty expectations should start

I am approaching the season with cautious optimism.  Expecting anything as a St. John's fan is not a wise approach.  I'm thankful the Mets are dominant now and the Giants still have 4 years or so of Eli.  I just don't think we  know a thing about next year's squad one way or another.  I think the roster still has some changing to do for the better. 

TONYD3

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »

Lavin's #3 ranked class that included 2 NBA players and the third leading scorer in school history won 13 games as freshmen.
I am aware of that .  I have no faith in these 4 to win any games. I am hoping the freshman keep these Guys on the bench .

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2016, 09:16:53 PM »

I am aware of that .  I have no faith in these 4 to win any games. I am hoping the freshman keep these Guys on the bench .

Jakarr never made it here with that class, came the next year. Moe was 1 and done. Class did not come intact and they cannot be judged that way. Even shorthanded they beat ND, Cinci, WV, and UCLA. 

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2016, 09:31:01 PM »

Our only PG will have no college D1 game experience and neither will our best scorer. While the other players should be improved, they are still young and in Yakwe and Sima's cases, still raw. I'm hoping for an NIT next year but wouldn't be surprised with a 1 or 2 game under .500 season. Think two years from now is when the lofty expectations should start

And you ... want Jones to transfer?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:32:04 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2016, 09:32:37 PM »

All senior years except Jones, who played ~300 minutes total of D1 basketball before this year and 125 over the past two. Sometimes the light bulb just goes on.

Lamont Hamilton 13.4 / 6.5
Brownlee 12.3 / 5.2
Cuffe 11.2 / 7.2
Glover 10.3 / 4.6
Jones 8.5 / 5.2
Orlando Sanchez 7.4 / 5.6
Justin Burrell 6.3 / 4.9 (BE 6th man of the year)

Eff Yea!!

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »
Somebody has to get points and boards even on the worst of teams.  Jones was great last night but then blew it for us with back to back mistakes.  I wouldn't be pissed if he came back and that says a lot for how I felt about him when he started. I praise him for sticking with SJU all these years. The reality is that if we are depending on him for anything next year, we are in some trouble.

Fast forward to first game next year.. rank our front court players. If Jones isn't worst, and if he isn't 2nd or 3rd worst, then why would we be in trouble if we are depending on him for anything?  We should be hoping he stays. Clearly put -- we are better with Jones than without.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:38:27 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

Moose

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2016, 10:28:03 PM »
Slice
Remember who broke the Slice news

ras

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2016, 10:38:27 PM »
I've never been a big fan of Jones . But his play of late has me intrigued. No sense having him leave to be replaced by another 5th year Sr., unless he is great. Still have a scholi left. Ferguson or Maker, unlikely. Also need his scholi for 17.  I'm not saying he will start. But bigs get in foul trouble and RF is thin, I see him contributing next year, especially if you need a wide body.

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2016, 10:47:58 PM »
The two NBA players he's referring to are Mo and Dom.  Plus D-lo, who he referenced.  It is a fair point.  This team had more bodies, but nowhere near the skill that we had in 2012-2013.  And that squad only won 13 games (granted in the old Big East).  It is a legitimate comparison for expectations next year.

Jakarr never made it here with that class, came the next year. Moe was 1 and done. Class did not come intact and they cannot be judged that way. Even shorthanded they beat ND, Cinci, WV, and UCLA. 

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2016, 11:04:17 PM »
I would have said Jones, but maybe not. He has improved. He still has a lot to work on. I think needs more game experience. He needs to get better at seeing the court and moving the ball. It's a glaring weakness. With Lovett getting some easy ones, he could be a lot closer to the Glover type of baller that we've seen glimpses of this year.

Maybe Amar? Maybe Ellison? Maybe Mussini? I don't think of Yakwe or Sima leaving, but you never know.

This may mean nothing, but  I cant remember a big man we've had -- unless were counting DJ -- in the last ten years who was a better passer than Jones. Not saying hes Pau Gasol but he has pretty good passing skills for a big man. Turns it over way to much but honestly I think hes the best play maker we have, or had.

Needs better court awareness. He gets stripped often.

Poison

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2016, 11:27:53 PM »
I would have said Jones, but maybe not. He has improved. He still has a lot to work on. I think needs more game experience. He needs to get better at seeing the court and moving the ball. It's a glaring weakness. With Lovett getting some easy ones, he could be a lot closer to the Glover type of baller that we've seen glimpses of this year.

Maybe Amar? Maybe Ellison? Maybe Mussini? I don't think of Yakwe or Sima leaving, but you never know.

This may mean nothing, but  I cant remember a big man we've had -- unless were counting DJ -- in the last ten years who was a better passer than Jones. Not saying hes Pau Gasol but he has pretty good passing skills for a big man. Turns it over way to much but honestly I think hes the best play maker we have, or had.

Needs better court awareness. He gets stripped often.

This is because he's basically just played his first season. He'll learn how to make better decisions with the ball, but he needs to get on the court and play as many organized as possible. There is something there, but he has a lot of work to do from now until November.