Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

lihoop

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #360 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:02 PM »
Heard it's looking like Pecora/Grasso/Matt A/ Mitch Richmond. Lip not letting Slice go without a fight.

that's a very respectable staff - 2 HOFers

« Reply #361 on: April 07, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »
Heard it's looking like Pecora/Grasso/Matt A/ Mitch Richmond. Lip not letting Slice go without a fight.

Yikes!! I know this isn't the popular opinion around here but I haven't taken the leap of mullin faith yet.  Being that he has never coached a game in his life I, like a lot of national college basketball pundits, told myself that his staff hires would be the ultimate deciding factor in grading this hire.  Mullin needs to surround himself with proven recruiters and guys with good head coaching experience.  Mitch Richmond is a hall of famer, great, but still never coached and is a question mark.  Pecora is an under 500 career guy and I'm sure I need not explain why this isn't the "good head coaching experience" I feel we need.  Grasso and matt a are good hires. A lot of potential but let's not kid ourselves they aren't proven at the level slice is.  Slice is good friends with mullin, people have said he wants to come home, with the stars aligned like this if we would strike out I'd be very disappointed and in my mind it would set up the new regime with a lot more questions than answers.  Slice is a top recruiter in the country! He's the guy that changes this staff from "well, there's potential, they could be good" to excellent right out of the gate.  With this recruiting class being of the utmost importance for the future of this program, and the new hc, his absence would be troubling to me.

« Reply #362 on: April 07, 2015, 09:53:02 PM »
Shaun I hear you but Slice is getting paid handsomely at probably the best hoops school in the country right now. Totally understandable as to why he might not want to make the jump. If he was anywhere else except maybe Duke I think he'd be ours. But KY has that pull that it is hard to beat sometimes.

Pecora is intersting because that big SJU fan on Twitter who loves the school and Mullin absolutely hates Pecora. His Twitter actions are going to be an intersting follow if this plays out as some suggest.

desco80

« Reply #363 on: April 07, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »
The problem is not getting Pecora or grasso instead of slice.  Our problem is that we're trying to piece together a recruiting class at the 11th hour.
We shouldn't expect miracles.   

« Reply #364 on: April 07, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
would pecora bring paschall ?

« Reply #365 on: April 07, 2015, 10:03:19 PM »
You guys are always good for a laugh each night.

« Reply #366 on: April 07, 2015, 10:45:57 PM »
Re: Pecora, Fordham?

« Reply #367 on: April 07, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
Pecora and Grasso on same staff?

« Reply #368 on: April 07, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »
They didn't end well at Fordham I take it?

Wods317

« Reply #369 on: April 07, 2015, 11:25:50 PM »
Pecora and Grasso on same staff?
Don't see this happening. Would be fine with taking one of these guys but both of them? Doesn't make a ton of sense. I think people are jumping the gun on some of these names. Let's let us play out a bit.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:26:31 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #370 on: April 08, 2015, 12:03:07 AM »

Yikes!! I know this isn't the popular opinion around here but I haven't taken the leap of mullin faith yet.  Being that he has never coached a game in his life I, like a lot of national college basketball pundits, told myself that his staff hires would be the ultimate deciding factor in grading this hire.  Mullin needs to surround himself with proven recruiters and guys with good head coaching experience.  Mitch Richmond is a hall of famer, great, but still never coached and is a question mark.  Pecora is an under 500 career guy and I'm sure I need not explain why this isn't the "good head coaching experience" I feel we need.  Grasso and matt a are good hires. A lot of potential but let's not kid ourselves they aren't proven at the level slice is.  Slice is good friends with mullin, people have said he wants to come home, with the stars aligned like this if we would strike out I'd be very disappointed and in my mind it would set up the new regime with a lot more questions than answers.  Slice is a top recruiter in the country! He's the guy that changes this staff from "well, there's potential, they could be good" to excellent right out of the gate.  With this recruiting class being of the utmost importance for the future of this program, and the new hc, his absence would be troubling to me.

Yeah, you make some interesting points, and some that are maybe a bit misplaced.  Sure, Slice is the man, we want Slice, et c.  Mullin not having HC experience & waiting to see the staff before assessing with some sort of finality the Mullin hire before any games are played?  That's unwise.

Lavin was a long time veteran coach.  Mullin has already gone out & offered tons of local kids, & he'll get some of them.  He just started recruiting, inexperienced, all that.  He has done more recruiting than Lavin in the last 2-3 years.  I mean, how many offers did Lavin even extend to kids outside of the 2015 class?  This is an example of Mullin knowing a lot more about basketball than Lavin, and applying it, w/o head coaching exp.

Questioning Mitch Rich, absolute basketball god, is also kinda shaky.  Every coach got his start somewhere.  When you are Chris Mullin or Larry Bird or Wayne Gretzky the rules are different for you.  Jason Kidd.  Steve Kerr.  Kerr was not even in the same sentence as MUllin as a pro and he had pro teams lining up to offer him jobs.  If Mitch Rich wants his start here, & Mullin likes it, then that's that.  We're lucky to get him.  What kid or dad would not be absolutely floored that Mitch Rich of Run TMC is coming to watch their kid, mentor their kid, and such?

Mitch Rich is a great get if we get him.  Pecora is garbage & that's that.  Worrying about him being here is very premature.  Suggesting that Mullin needs a Tom Pecora to manage a game?  Come on, man.  FN Lavin would be a better bench coach than Pecora.  I am sure that if we don't get Slice, we will get the very best people available.  The staff is huge, huge hires, but to sit here a week after the Mullin hire and be like, 'Mullin's staff won't be good enough....

Probably Matt & Mullin have a very good idea of what to do if no Slice, & probably we are counting Slice out prematurely too.  Let's see how it plays out.  But yo, if Matt rolls up on a HS gym to see a kid, or to his home, with Mullin & Mitch Rich, you think ppl are gonna say 'wait! No Rohrrsen?  WTF?'

paultzman

« Reply #371 on: April 08, 2015, 07:30:58 AM »

Yeah, you make some interesting points, and some that are maybe a bit misplaced.  Sure, Slice is the man, we want Slice, et c.  Mullin not having HC experience & waiting to see the staff before assessing with some sort of finality the Mullin hire before any games are played?  That's unwise.

Lavin was a long time veteran coach.  Mullin has already gone out & offered tons of local kids, & he'll get some of them.  He just started recruiting, inexperienced, all that.  He has done more recruiting than Lavin in the last 2-3 years.  I mean, how many offers did Lavin even extend to kids outside of the 2015 class?  This is an example of Mullin knowing a lot more about basketball than Lavin, and applying it, w/o head coaching exp.

Questioning Mitch Rich, absolute basketball god, is also kinda shaky.  Every coach got his start somewhere.  When you are Chris Mullin or Larry Bird or Wayne Gretzky the rules are different for you.  Jason Kidd.  Steve Kerr.  Kerr was not even in the same sentence as MUllin as a pro and he had pro teams lining up to offer him jobs.  If Mitch Rich wants his start here, & Mullin likes it, then that's that.  We're lucky to get him.  What kid or dad would not be absolutely floored that Mitch Rich of Run TMC is coming to watch their kid, mentor their kid, and such?

Mitch Rich is a great get if we get him.  Pecora is garbage & that's that.  Worrying about him being here is very premature.  Suggesting that Mullin needs a Tom Pecora to manage a game?  Come on, man.  FN Lavin would be a better bench coach than Pecora.  I am sure that if we don't get Slice, we will get the very best people available.  The staff is huge, huge hires, but to sit here a week after the Mullin hire and be like, 'Mullin's staff won't be good enough....

Probably Matt & Mullin have a very good idea of what to do if no Slice, & probably we are counting Slice out prematurely too.  Let's see how it plays out.  But yo, if Matt rolls up on a HS gym to see a kid, or to his home, with Mullin & Mitch Rich, you think ppl are gonna say 'wait! No Rohrrsen?  WTF?'

Agree completely on Pecora, not someone we need on several levels.

mkras99

« Reply #372 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »
What's so bad about Pecora as an assistant or DOBO? 

hnk

« Reply #373 on: April 08, 2015, 09:16:13 AM »
rumor on redmen.com...that slice will be on campus today for meeting....anyone know?

paultzman

« Reply #374 on: April 08, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
Ky radio guy;

@KySportsRadio: Hearing UK Asst Slice Rohrssen is considering joining his friend Chris Mullin at St John's. No decision made yet. Hope he stays...great dude

« Reply #375 on: April 08, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »
Today or Tomorrow

hnk

« Reply #376 on: April 08, 2015, 09:55:29 AM »
For a decision or for a positive decision?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #377 on: April 08, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »
Re: Slice and Pecora - I'd think there is some value to having a coach who has gone through numerous cycles as a head coach and has had to adjust to different "surprise" situations as a HC would help shape Mullin's priority list from day-to-day and month to month. I think those nuances - especially to college - will be an adjustment.

That speaks more towards Pecora. But I think Pecora is a very unremarkable coach. His best skill was getting three really good players at Hofstra and riding them for 2-3 seasons. If someone can tell me what he's particularly good at, I'm all ears.

Slice would be interesting. But isn't that doubling down on the recruiting acumen? Not that it's a bad thing, but just pointing that out.

« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »
@PittPantherBlog: Rumors fly that former Pitt asst. Barry Rohrssen could leave Kentucky, writes @AnsonWhaley http://t.co/KI3jbK45U1 http://t.co/qK13TDGCPd

:D

This article is a few days old. Nothing really new.

« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2015, 11:46:20 AM »
What's so bad about Pecora as an assistant or DOBO? 

BC Pecora is delusional.  He had the gall to be insulted that he did not get the HC gig when Lavin got it.  He made that FN stupid speech to his players in 2012, remember that?  "They didn't want you & they didn't want me...LOL.  Of course we didn't want him/them.  We are St. John's.  And we are still St. John's, and not in need of some whack coach who prefers grandstanding to rolling his sleeves up.  Let Pecora be Lavin's next DOBO or whatever in 2 years when he resurfaces at some Cali school.