Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #400 on: April 08, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »
Hofstra had hard working assistants first under Wright, then under Pec, who landed difference makers like Agudio.  Remember that they had commitments for Halil K and Chazz Williams prior to leaving for Fordham. 

TP used to be hungry but has alienated supporters in recent years.  All things considered, I'd be disappointed if he is hired.

« Reply #401 on: April 08, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »
Poison, do you want Pecora?  Thanks.

Not particularly no, but I'm not as tuned into the NYC hoops scene as other people. Hopefully, those other people work at St.John's. My point was only that Pecora is looked at on this board as a total failure. He's not. Even Norm found a new home.

He's neither total failure or wild success.  He's probably an upgrade, honestly, over previous staff.  That said, we don't want him. 

In terms of the previous staff, we don't know who was responsible for recruiting, guards, sets, conditioning etc. It seems like they were all pretty lazy, but for all we know, one guy worked hard, and the rest were lazy. What we do know is that by and large, recruiting was executed carelessly, and that the staff didn't focus much on NYC talent.

Pecora, in the past, has recruited players that would have been All BE players. Not a lot of them, but he has. It's a combination of where he was, and who he and his staff discovered. I'm not for or against him at the moment, but you seem to have a serious problem with him. Why?

When I said upgrade, I was referring to not Lavin as HC but Pecora corresponding to Lavin's lead asst, as he would be for Mullin.

I feel like TP is a long time HC, not a Rohrrsen type.  Slice would presumably do the same job here as @ UK.  I view that as an advantage for Slice & disadvantage for TP.

I don't want a guy coming off a 5-6 win season either, or whatever it was.  I want the very best staff available.

------------

Normally I take 1 of 2 screen names: crackbillionair or francois arouet.

I identify with Voltaire.  Funny, smart, had balls & convictions.

Poison

« Reply #402 on: April 08, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
Poison, do you want Pecora?  Thanks.

Not particularly no, but I'm not as tuned into the NYC hoops scene as other people. Hopefully, those other people work at St.John's. My point was only that Pecora is looked at on this board as a total failure. He's not. Even Norm found a new home.

He's neither total failure or wild success.  He's probably an upgrade, honestly, over previous staff.  That said, we don't want him. 

In terms of the previous staff, we don't know who was responsible for recruiting, guards, sets, conditioning etc. It seems like they were all pretty lazy, but for all we know, one guy worked hard, and the rest were lazy. What we do know is that by and large, recruiting was executed carelessly, and that the staff didn't focus much on NYC talent.

Pecora, in the past, has recruited players that would have been All BE players. Not a lot of them, but he has. It's a combination of where he was, and who he and his staff discovered. I'm not for or against him at the moment, but you seem to have a serious problem with him. Why?

When I said upgrade, I was referring to not Lavin as HC but Pecora corresponding to Lavin's lead asst, as he would be for Mullin.

I feel like TP is a long time HC, not a Rohrrsen type.  Slice would presumably do the same job here as @ UK.  I view that as an advantage for Slice & disadvantage for TP.

I don't want a guy coming off a 5-6 win season either, or whatever it was.  I want the very best staff available.

------------

Normally I take 1 of 2 screen names: crackbillionair or francois arouet.

I identify with Voltaire.  Funny, smart, had balls & convictions.

I hear that. A former head coach of 10+ years isn't likely to be going out on the recruiting trail and hustling for someone else's program.

« Reply #403 on: April 08, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
Via Zags, guess which one is Monasch

TheVig

« Reply #404 on: April 08, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »
Turn on MSG. Mullin is with Jill Martin at the half. Good shots of Matt A. on the phone.

« Reply #405 on: April 08, 2015, 08:38:05 PM »
Turn on MSG. Mullin is with Jill Martin at the half. Good shots of Matt A. on the phone.
setting up the next commit announcement

ras

« Reply #406 on: April 08, 2015, 08:42:25 PM »
I'll tell you one thing. Mullin can't be pleased W ADRs weight loss, conditioning after a year w the team.

Poison

« Reply #407 on: April 08, 2015, 08:47:23 PM »
I'll tell you one thing. Mullin can't be pleased W ADRs weight loss, conditioning after a year w the team.

It's amazing that a basketball player could have no regard for his health. He looks like a member of the Fat Boys.

« Reply #408 on: April 08, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »

What did he say? I was at a bar with a few friends with no tv sound.

Gumby

« Reply #409 on: April 09, 2015, 10:31:59 AM »
The AZ Republic is reporting that Bobby Hurley is ASU's lead HC candidate, now that Jeff C. has decided he would rather remain at Duke. The announcement may be made early next week.  Maybe Jeff felt he would rather be an AHC for a winner than struggle with another team.

I am glad we went for Coach Mullin over either of the Hurley brothers just based on the excitement these past two weeks.  While we do not know yet how the games will be played out, the recruiting atmosphere has been great.

SJUFAN

« Reply #410 on: April 09, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »
The AZ Republic is reporting that Bobby Hurley is ASU's lead HC candidate, now that Jeff C. has decided he would rather remain at Duke. The announcement may be made early next week.  Maybe Jeff felt he would rather be an AHC for a winner than struggle with another team.

I am glad we went for Coach Mullin over either of the Hurley brothers just based on the excitement these past two weeks.  While we do not know yet how the games will be played out, the recruiting atmosphere has been great.

How many college coaches are in the NBA hall of fame and a former GM? I think that is a very powerful selling point to high level recruits who aspire to play on the next level. I think players and their handlers, coaches all realize this and we will land our fair share to high level recruits going forward.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #411 on: April 09, 2015, 07:50:56 PM »
Shaka Smart has his staff set at Texas already within days. It's been over a week and we still only have one assistant with the live period just around the corner...... Should we be anywhat concerned?

MCNPA

« Reply #412 on: April 09, 2015, 07:52:50 PM »
Shaka Smart has his staff set at Texas already within days. It's been over a week and we still only have one assistant with the live period just around the corner...... Should we be anywhat concerned?

No

hnk

« Reply #413 on: April 09, 2015, 07:54:31 PM »
Shaka was already in the game and just moved arenas....like Rick Barnes.....in a week we've made amazing progress....and Slice is imminent......annoucnement(s) coming soon....very soon. I think.

Moose

« Reply #414 on: April 09, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »

Texas has a lot more money and resources than SJU
Remember 5 years ago it was into June before Dunlap was hired.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #415 on: April 09, 2015, 09:39:21 PM »

Agreed but more importantly certain things happen that delay things.

Remember Dunlap was an assistant with Ernie Kent at Oregon in 2010 when Kent was fired.  Dunlap was asked to stay on before the next hire and help oversee things and he himself was a candidate having interviewed.  Plus he was under contract for another year that only could be enforced if he got the head job.

Oregon hired Dana Altman but then the Colorado job opened after Jeff Bzdelik left for Wake.  That job Dunlap coveted.  He ended up losing that job to Tad Boyle of N Colorado.

That took you into May.  I believe he was hired a few weeks before they formally announced it.

The only issue of course is that in 2010 these April Evaluation Periods were not on the calendar. 

So it would be nice to get Slice in by this weekend.

Moose

« Reply #416 on: April 09, 2015, 09:55:53 PM »

Agreed but more importantly certain things happen that delay things.

Remember Dunlap was an assistant with Ernie Kent at Oregon in 2010 when Kent was fired.  Dunlap was asked to stay on before the next hire and help oversee things and he himself was a candidate having interviewed.  Plus he was under contract for another year that only could be enforced if he got the head job.

Oregon hired Dana Altman but then the Colorado job opened after Jeff Bzdelik left for Wake.  That job Dunlap coveted.  He ended up losing that job to Tad Boyle of N Colorado.

That took you into May.  I believe he was hired a few weeks before they formally announced it.

The only issue of course is that in 2010 these April Evaluation Periods were not on the calendar. 

So it would be nice to get Slice in by this weekend.

All of what you mentioned was right but big issue last time was Dunlap and Hicks were brought on once the fiscal year changed for SJU
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #417 on: April 09, 2015, 10:50:54 PM »
Shaka was already in the game and just moved arenas....like Rick Barnes.....in a week we've made amazing progress....and Slice is imminent......annoucnement(s) coming soon....very soon. I think.
Again, how do we know this?  What is your source?  I wish I was so sure.  In fact, since I have heard nothing about Slice in the media, I have to think we are not getting him.

« Reply #418 on: April 09, 2015, 11:12:03 PM »
Again, how do we know this?  What is your source?  I wish I was so sure.  In fact, since I have heard nothing about Slice in the media, I have to think we are not getting him.

Patience! Marco said it's a done deal.

Wods317

« Reply #419 on: April 09, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »

The guys team was still playing less then a week ago. He just doesn't show up and start coaching. He has responsibilities with his current job and then has to negotiate with St. John's on a new contract which isn't always easy either. It's been like 5 days since Kentucky last played and you act like it's been months and we haven't heard anything. Relax and let it play out, you will have your answers soon enough