Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #440 on: April 12, 2015, 10:47:11 PM »
One of the articles I read today - think from Zags - said that T Mullin was out recruiting for us with Chris and Matt A.  Means he has to be involved to some extent, right?  Unless article was incorrect (and we know that never happens lol).

Not necessarily.  He is "helping out."  He has no official position on the staff currently and he may never have one when it is finalized.  As long as you clear it with the NCAA Compliance non-recruiting coaches including administrative persons and even "temporary persons" can be "deputized" to recruit temporarily if the main positions still need to be filled.  Usually those people are already administrative (non recruiting members) members of the staff such as the DOBO.  However because Coach has not filled most positions including administrative there really isn't someone else so he asked his brother.  But again that does not mean Terence will have any position in the future.
Further thanks. You all aim to educate - thanks fordham. 

Also to be fair this does not just happen with openings, if a HC or a main assistant formerly takes himself out of commission for a period of time (perhaps vacation or injury) you can designate someone else.

For example Jim Boheim takes vacation during July recruiting.  He designates his DOBO to be the 4th coach.  He didn't resign he just will be with his family on vacation.

Fred Hoiberg will probably be sidelined for a few weeks after surgery, probably will designate his DOBO to go out on the road during his recovery.

« Reply #441 on: April 12, 2015, 10:49:23 PM »
One of the articles I read today - think from Zags - said that T Mullin was out recruiting for us with Chris and Matt A.  Means he has to be involved to some extent, right?  Unless article was incorrect (and we know that never happens lol).

Not necessarily.  He is "helping out."  He has no official position on the staff currently and he may never have one when it is finalized.  As long as you clear it with the NCAA Compliance non-recruiting coaches including administrative persons and even "temporary persons" can be "deputized" to recruit temporarily if the main positions still need to be filled.  Usually those people are already administrative (non recruiting members) members of the staff such as the DOBO.  However because Coach has not filled most positions including administrative there really isn't someone else so he asked his brother.  But again that does not mean Terence will have any position in the future.

Also to be fair this does not just happen with openings, if a HC or a main assistant formerly takes himself out of commission for a period of time (perhaps vacation or injury) you can designate someone else.

For example Jim Boheim takes vacation during July recruiting.  He designates his DOBO to be the 4th coach.  He didn't resign he just will be with his family on vacation.

Fred Hoiberg will probably be sidelined for a few weeks after surgery, probably will designate his DOBO to go out on the road during his recovery.

Great job Fordham. By the way, I saw on the other site earlier that they are wondering why you are here and not there

« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2015, 10:55:02 PM »
Maybe the last 2 staff members are currently employed in the NBA

Yeah that's what I am thinking. One if not both will be from the NBA.

desco80

« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2015, 10:58:37 PM »
So who is next?  Mitch richmond?  Any truth to the Pecora stuff?  Not Grasso, right?

« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »
So who is next?  Mitch richmond?  Any truth to the Pecora stuff?  Not Grasso, right?

I have to think that if Grasso was happening, he'd be out with MULLIN and MA

« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2015, 11:15:11 PM »
Win, Win for you Baldi.  St. John's gets Slice and thus doesn't make the move for Grasso.  And your boy keeps churning at Iona helping to win MAAC titles.

« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »
Win, Win for you Baldi.  St. John's gets Slice and thus doesn't make the move for Grasso.  And your boy keeps churning at Iona helping to win MAAC titles.

Yes sir. Although I think we are lucky to have Grasso this long. Only a matter of time

paultzman

« Reply #447 on: April 13, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »
@NJHoopsHaven: If you're going to hire a favorite son, St. John's shows how you do it: Give him every possible resource so he's in a position to succeed.

« Reply #448 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »

Great job Fordham. By the way, I saw on the other site earlier that they are wondering why you are here and not there

What other site???  LOL!

« Reply #449 on: April 13, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
@NJHoopsHaven: If you're going to hire a favorite son, St. John's shows how you do it: Give him every possible resource so he's in a position to succeed.
They went all-in compared to before when Coach Lavin was hired. Now Admin's taken off the Patek Philippe, the alligator cowboy boots, pinky ring, gold tooth, pace maker, and thrown it all in  ;D

« Reply #450 on: April 13, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »
They went all-in compared to before when Coach Lavin was hired. Now Admin's taken off the Patek Philippe, the alligator cowboy boots, pinky ring, gold tooth, pace maker, and thrown it all in  ;D

Yeah I was a bit worried that the admin wouldn't open the check book for Mullin and staff. Very glad to see I was wrong.

« Reply #451 on: April 13, 2015, 10:03:05 AM »

Yeah I was a bit worried that the admin wouldn't open the check book for Mullin and staff. Very glad to see I was wrong.
This is so important for the entire school, students, graduates, fans in general. We all want it so bad. Reminds me of growing up rooting for the late 60s, early 70s Yankees. The Mets fans were having all the fun, but the party finally switched locations before my teenage years. (I did root for both teams)

boo3

« Reply #452 on: April 13, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
Mullin on with Boomer and Carton Tom @ 9. 

Sure it will be informative and hard hitting.

TONYD3

« Reply #453 on: April 13, 2015, 05:36:31 PM »
Mullin on with Boomer and Carton Tom @ 9. 

Sure it will be informative and hard hitting.
It wont be. But it will be important. Getting Mullin out there is great for the program.

« Reply #454 on: April 13, 2015, 07:56:47 PM »
St. John's Media ‏@StJohnsUMedia  · 5m5 minutes ago 
@StJohnsU Pres. Gempesaw taking in Nets-Bulls game tonite @barclayscenter with @chrismullin17 & his new staff #sjubb

Check the pics nice:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/sjubb?f=realtime

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #455 on: April 13, 2015, 08:14:58 PM »
@StJohnsU Pres. Gempesaw taking in Nets-Bulls game tonite @barclayscenter with @chrismullin17 & his new staff #sjubb

Check the pics nice:

New President who wants to be at SJU, and understands that hoops is part of SJU soul, tradition, and is part of the fabric of NYC is a beautiful thing. Gempeshaw is complelyely changing SJU inside and out and past, present and future SJU students should be greatful for that...

The guy just gets it...Catching a game with your coach, shows that their in thing together...just freaken awesome!
Cougar O' Malley

redslope

« Reply #456 on: April 13, 2015, 08:21:10 PM »

Check the pics nice:

Interesting choice of games with Pinkney an AC for the Bulls

sju89tr

« Reply #457 on: April 13, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »

Check the pics nice:

Interesting choice of games with Pinkney an AC for the Bulls

and Wennington doing their play by play

« Reply #458 on: April 13, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
@franfraschilla: Known Chris Mullin and Barry "Slice" Rohrssen since they were 14. Add Matt Abdelmassih into the mix and you have great recruiting staff.

« Reply #459 on: April 13, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »

Check the pics nice:

New President who wants to be at SJU, and understands that hoops is part of SJU soul, tradition, and is part of the fabric of NYC is a beautiful thing. Gempeshaw is complelyely changing SJU inside and out and past, present and future SJU students should be greatful for that...

The guy just gets it...Catching a game with your coach, shows that their in thing together...just freaken awesome!
A former ref - it's in his soul already. Perfect hire for us.  I repeat UMD Prez Loh - "The athletic programs are the front porch of the university house."