Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #520 on: April 29, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »
So is the majority of the fan base ok if they don't hire an X and O guy for the bench?

I mean, Lavin spent 20 years as a coach and he was a terrible game coach.  Not to mention he had old man Keady next him, yet we still lacked.

Mullin has never coached a day in his life. While I'm sure his hoops acumen is off the charts, that doesn't mean he'll be Brad Stevens.   

I would feel much better if they hired someone.  Maybe I'm alone.   

I want this to succeed as much as anyone,  I think it can only help to have a right  hand man. 

If you believe it's Slice, so be it.  My impression he's here to bring in players , not draw up plays. 

Agreed that Slice is here to bring players and give Mullin a perspective of a former head coach, but not to necessarily call plays.  I am comfortable with us starting out as Mullin calling plays.  Mullin seems to know his strengths and weaknesses - he has to with his one day at a time approach - so if he believes he is a strong X and O guy, I'll take him at it.  If 1-2 years in the Xs and Os are horrible, I'd also expect we hire someone to assist in that respect.

As you mentioned, we had Lavin and Keady who have tons of experience and STILL sucked at drawing up plays.  Which says to me, just having a former successful head coach doesnt say anything about Xs and Os.  Mullin had a great bball IQ.  I expect it to translate, and at least is reasonable to see how it translates before hiring a dedicated X and O guy.
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #521 on: April 29, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »
So is the majority of the fan base ok if they don't hire an X and O guy for the bench?

I mean, Lavin spent 20 years as a coach and he was a terrible game coach.  Not to mention he had old man Keady next him, yet we still lacked.

Mullin has never coached a day in his life. While I'm sure his hoops acumen is off the charts, that doesn't mean he'll be Brad Stevens.   

I want this to succeed as much as anyone,  I think it can only help to have a rift hand man. 

If you believe it's Slice, so be it.  My impression he's here to bring in players , not draw up plays. 

Part of me wants a guy like Pinkney because I think he would be tremendous teacher to the bigs and can probably be a great recruiter too.

The realist part of me wants an X and O guy like Dunlap to help the new coach.

I would think the staff told Diallo about Pinkney and that didn't help.
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #522 on: April 29, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »

I want this to succeed as much as anyone,  I think it can only help to have a rift hand man. 

Part of me wants a guy like Pinkney because I think he would be tremendous teacher to the bigs and can probably be a great recruiter too.

The realist part of me wants an X and O guy like Dunlap to help the new coach.

I would think the staff told Diallo about Pinkney and that didn't help.

If Slice and Matt didn't help then Ed wouldn't help either. Kid had his heart on Kansas I assume and that is absolutely understandable. At this point we aren't even close to Nova let alone on par with those programs.   

« Reply #523 on: April 29, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »

I want this to succeed as much as anyone,  I think it can only help to have a right  hand man. 

Agreed that Slice is here to bring players and give Mullin a perspective of a former head coach, but not to necessarily call plays.  I am comfortable with us starting out as Mullin calling plays.  Mullin seems to know his strengths and weaknesses - he has to with his one day at a time approach - so if he believes he is a strong X and O guy, I'll take him at it.  If 1-2 years in the Xs and Os are horrible, I'd also expect we hire someone to assist in that respect.

As you mentioned, we had Lavin and Keady who have tons of experience and STILL sucked at drawing up plays.  Which says to me, just having a former successful head coach doesnt say anything about Xs and Os.  Mullin had a great bball IQ.  I expect it to translate, and at least is reasonable to see how it translates before hiring a dedicated X and O guy.
I think this might be a "teach a man to fish, he feeds himself for life" structure.  If Chris runs a motion offense predicated upon player reads, the players will wind up mini-coaches out there.   While Chris will of course have sets for out of bounds plays, breaking the press, etc., the regular offense is going to mostly run itself via the players.  I prefer it that way.  The key - getting the right players to fit that style.  They really need to be team first guys.  Very talented won't hurt either  ;D

MCNPA

« Reply #524 on: April 29, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »

I think this might be a "teach a man to fish, he feeds himself for life" structure.  If Chris runs a motion offense predicated upon player reads, the players will wind up mini-coaches out there.   While Chris will of course have sets for out of bounds plays, breaking the press, etc., the regular offense is going to mostly run itself via the players.  I prefer it that way.  The key - getting the right players to fit that style.  They really need to be team first guys.  Very talented won't hurt either  ;D

I hope people aren't upset that Mullin isn't gonna be a guy writing up plays all game long.  His offense will be much more free form.   He said he doesn't want a team of kids that are always looking to the sidelines for the coach to write something up.  Will be much more pro-style offense.

« Reply #525 on: April 29, 2015, 04:03:12 PM »

I hope people aren't upset that Mullin isn't gonna be a guy writing up plays all game long.  His offense will be much more free form.   He said he doesn't want a team of kids that are always looking to the sidelines for the coach to write something up.  Will be much more pro-style offense.
Yes - Let the talent win games

« Reply #526 on: April 29, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »
Matt Abdelmassih ‏@mabde33  · 2 minutes ago 
Day by day, brick by brick....everyday has been a step forward. Future incredibly bright #sjubb #BigEast

bk8664

« Reply #527 on: April 29, 2015, 09:30:13 PM »
Day by day, brick by brick....everyday has been a step forward. Future incredibly bright #sjubb #BigEast

GOOD

« Reply #528 on: April 29, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »

he talks about bricks so much we gotta call him the mason :)

boo3

« Reply #529 on: April 29, 2015, 09:33:43 PM »

Lavin-esque

Marillac

« Reply #530 on: April 29, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »

Lavin-esque

At least Matt is building something with his bricks.  Lavin was just smashing rocks with a hammer :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:59:58 PM by Marillac »

boo3

« Reply #531 on: April 29, 2015, 09:55:32 PM »
That stupid Hammer to Rock thing is what got me blocked on twitter by Lavin and Fratto.

All I said was " in the battle between hammer and Rock, it seems the rock has won".   Didn'tike my sense of humor.

« Reply #532 on: April 29, 2015, 09:57:28 PM »
That stupid Hammer to Rock thing is what got me blocked on twitter by Lavin and Fratto.

All I said was " in the battle between hammer and Rock, it seems the rock has won".   Didn'tike my sense of humor.

People can be blocked on Twitter?

« Reply #533 on: April 29, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »

they blocked you ? how do you block someone on twitter ? is it like unfriending on Facebook or something or can you still see what they write ?

boo3

« Reply #534 on: April 29, 2015, 10:06:33 PM »
If people keep tweeting annoying stuff at you just click their profile.  Then there is a tab somewhere where you can block. Then thru can't tweet at you or follow you.  You can also mute someone.   

« Reply #535 on: April 29, 2015, 10:10:23 PM »
If people keep tweeting annoying stuff at you just click their profile.  Then there is a tab somewhere where you can block. Then thru can't tweet at you or follow you.  You can also mute someone.   
sounds like a good option for wives. lol

desco80

« Reply #536 on: April 29, 2015, 10:16:11 PM »

Didn't they take it a step further and say something to your employer boo?
Complete overreaction

« Reply #537 on: April 29, 2015, 10:18:56 PM »

Didn't they take it a step further and say something to your employer boo?
Complete overreaction

Really? That's ridiculous

boo3

« Reply #538 on: April 29, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »
Fratto did call someone I work with , who he knew , and asked about me.  This is true. 

Not a superior, but still, way over the top.  We laughed it off.  That day I removed my employer from my twitter profile.   Douches

« Reply #539 on: April 29, 2015, 10:28:13 PM »
Fratto did call someone I work with , who he knew , and asked about me.  This is true. 

Not a superior, but still, way over the top.  We laughed it off.  That day I removed my employer from my twitter profile.   Douches

Unreal. Pretty sure that's the same guy who leaked all that false info on Lavin contract extensions. Burned a lot of bridges