Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

TONYD3

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #380 on: April 08, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »
Don't think that speech was stupid. That's what I would have said. If I remember correctly it worked. He did well at Hofstra, I don't understand how that can be a negative.

hnk

« Reply #381 on: April 08, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »
i hope we have a lot of diversity on the staff

pmg911

« Reply #382 on: April 08, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »
i hope we have a lot of diversity on the staff

In what sense..?

I want the guys on the bench that are going to give SJU the best chance to win and continually give SJU the best chance to get great players.

hnk

« Reply #383 on: April 08, 2015, 12:15:08 PM »
i agree...I think balance and different perspectives are important.....so to answer in what sense? in all senses or as many as possible.....I think Coach Mullin referred to this at his opening press conference.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:16:34 PM by hnk »

« Reply #384 on: April 08, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »
Don't think that speech was stupid. That's what I would have said. If I remember correctly it worked. He did well at Hofstra, I don't understand how that can be a negative.

Perhaps the game passed him by since then?  He's been terrible of late & was never really that good.  IDK, maybe the problem I had with the speech was the way it was covered.  It struck me as douche heavy.  Us not wanting them is the way of the world.  So obvious, et c.

« Reply #385 on: April 08, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »

Perhaps the game passed him by since then?  He's been terrible of late & was never really that good.  IDK, maybe the problem I had with the speech was the way it was covered.  It struck me as douche heavy.  Us not wanting them is the way of the world.  So obvious, et c.

What coach has done well at Fordham?

Poison

« Reply #386 on: April 08, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
What's so bad about Pecora as an assistant or DOBO? 

BC Pecora is delusional.  He had the gall to be insulted that he did not get the HC gig when Lavin got it.  He made that FN stupid speech to his players in 2012, remember that?  "They didn't want you & they didn't want me...LOL.  Of course we didn't want him/them.  We are St. John's.  And we are still St. John's, and not in need of some whack coach who prefers grandstanding to rolling his sleeves up.  Let Pecora be Lavin's next DOBO or whatever in 2 years when he resurfaces at some Cali school.

Every local coach tells his players that St.John's didn't want them. I don't think Pecora would have been a good hire here, but he wouldn't have been the worst hire either. A genius he isn't, but I think he has shown the ability to evaluate talent at Hofstra, but not so much at Fordham. His stock has fallen dramatically. Fordham is a major reason why. That program skipped several levels to play in the A10, when they had no business being anywhere higher than the MAAC.

« Reply #387 on: April 08, 2015, 12:41:25 PM »
What's so bad about Pecora as an assistant or DOBO? 

BC Pecora is delusional.  He had the gall to be insulted that he did not get the HC gig when Lavin got it.  He made that FN stupid speech to his players in 2012, remember that?  "They didn't want you & they didn't want me...LOL.  Of course we didn't want him/them.  We are St. John's.  And we are still St. John's, and not in need of some whack coach who prefers grandstanding to rolling his sleeves up.  Let Pecora be Lavin's next DOBO or whatever in 2 years when he resurfaces at some Cali school.

Every local coach tells his players that St.John's didn't want them. I don't think Pecora would have been a good hire here, but he wouldn't have been the worst hire either. A genius he isn't, but I think he has shown the ability to evaluate talent at Hofstra, but not so much at Fordham. His stock has fallen dramatically. Fordham is a major reason why. That program skipped several levels to play in the A10, when they had no business being anywhere higher than the MAAC.

He did land Mr NY Jon Severe and Eric Paschal, who is now looking to transfer to some top 10 schools. Athletic dept, facilities and administration is the problem at Fordham

« Reply #388 on: April 08, 2015, 12:42:06 PM »

Don't care.  Don't want him.  Don't like him. 

Poison

« Reply #389 on: April 08, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »

Don't care.  Don't want him.  Don't like him. 

What really matters is how the city's basketball community feels about him.

Poison

« Reply #390 on: April 08, 2015, 01:10:20 PM »

When we coached at the CAA level, he did a good job. Credit where it's due. Many coaches, like Tom, move up a level or two, and they are in over their heads. I don't think it means he's a complete nice person. It just means that he's probably not a future star.

I thought he did a great job at Hofstra, and he actually coached them during their best season (in 04-05 they won 28 games, and really got hosed by the committee that year), despite Jay Wright taking them to the tournament in 2000.

« Reply #391 on: April 08, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »
Poison, do you want Pecora?  Thanks.

TONYD3

« Reply #392 on: April 08, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
Maybe I don't know as much about pecora as some of you guys. Those Hofstra teams killed us. At the time they seemed well coached. He has head coaching experience. Mullin has none. It seems like a good choice to me.

Poison

« Reply #393 on: April 08, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »

Not particularly no, but I'm not as tuned into the NYC hoops scene as other people. Hopefully, those other people work at St.John's. My point was only that Pecora is looked at on this board as a total failure. He's not. Even Norm found a new home.

SJUFAN

« Reply #394 on: April 08, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »

Not particularly no, but I'm not as tuned into the NYC hoops scene as other people. Hopefully, those other people work at St.John's. My point was only that Pecora is looked at on this board as a total failure. He's not. Even Norm found a new home.

There is a lot more to the success or failure of a coach than his "coaching ability". They all know their X's and O's, (yes even Lavin) but just like anything else, some are better teachers than others. Some are better talent evaluators and are better adapted at putting players in position where they can succeed. Some coach to a system and will struggle if they don't have the players to fit their system. The better coaches can coach to their personal. At the end of the day though you need talent. Has Coach K ever won with a less talented team? I don't think so. He is a great coach, but even he needs talent to win.   

« Reply #395 on: April 08, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »

He's neither total failure or wild success.  He's probably an upgrade, honestly, over previous staff.  That said, we don't want him. 

« Reply #396 on: April 08, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »

He's neither total failure or wild success.  He's probably an upgrade, honestly, over previous staff.  That said, we don't want him.

It's not what "we want", it's what Chris wants is you allow him the opportunity.

Poison

« Reply #397 on: April 08, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »

In terms of the previous staff, we don't know who was responsible for recruiting, guards, sets, conditioning etc. It seems like they were all pretty lazy, but for all we know, one guy worked hard, and the rest were lazy. What we do know is that by and large, recruiting was executed carelessly, and that the staff didn't focus much on NYC talent.

Pecora, in the past, has recruited players that would have been All BE players. Not a lot of them, but he has. It's a combination of where he was, and who he and his staff discovered. I'm not for or against him at the moment, but you seem to have a serious problem with him. Why?

« Reply #398 on: April 08, 2015, 06:07:02 PM »

Voltaire what possessed you to choose this screen name ?

Poison

« Reply #399 on: April 08, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »

I don't think he's an upgrade over Lavin. I think a lot of people saw Norm, and then saw Tom Pecora, and were envious of his success. From 03-04 to 06-07, Hofstra owned our asses, and he was the reason why. Being better than a complete nice person isn't a reason to hire someone.

Then again, it was for Fordham.