Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

desco80

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #340 on: April 14, 2014, 10:17:56 PM »
It's my experience that there's usually a grain of truth behind what Baldi says.  But you need to ignore his final conclusion. 
Ex: Baldi says Harrison is leaving last summer, more respected posters admit several months later that he flirted with OK State.
Ex: he says Lavin is gone, and it's a done deal.   Other sources then point out that Lav put out feelers for the Cal job and no extension has been discussed in a long time.   

He might say its a done deal or it's going to happen on x date ...and that is almost always wrong.    But a vast majority of the time, I look at the substance behind his claim, because it's usually true - he (or his source) just jumps to conclusions.     If he says a player is transferring tomorrow, I take that to mean that that player is unhappy or is in coach's doghouse.   
If you look at it that way, he's almost always right. 

LoganK

« Reply #341 on: April 14, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »
It's my experience that there's usually a grain of truth behind what Baldi says.  But you need to ignore his final conclusion. 
Ex: Baldi says Harrison is leaving last summer, more respected posters admit several months later that he flirted with OK State.
Ex: he says Lavin is gone, and it's a done deal.   Other sources then point out that Lav put out feelers for the Cal job and no extension has been discussed in a long time.   

He might say its a done deal or it's going to happen on x date ...and that is almost always wrong.    But a vast majority of the time, I look at the substance behind his claim, because it's usually true - he (or his source) just jumps to conclusions.     If he says a player is transferring tomorrow, I take that to mean that that player is unhappy or is in coach's doghouse.   

That does seem like a good way to deal with it.  I'll give it a shot, maybe looking at it that way will make him appear like less of an ass.

*still wish the initial rumor would be posted as such, rather than with such certainty.

« Reply #342 on: April 14, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »

I feel the same way in regard to his posts. I'm a bit surprised that thick skinned New Yorkers get so worked up over his posts.

ras

« Reply #343 on: April 14, 2014, 10:50:44 PM »
Baldi  was the first poster to give it straight about Sheed. I believe he did have 1 foot out the door.

Poison

« Reply #344 on: April 14, 2014, 11:02:18 PM »
Baldi said Lavin would be out the entire season during his second year. No one wanted to hear it, and everyone gave him shit for it. We know how that turned out.

After watching Lavin ruin the last two seasons, I don't think it's unreasonable to come down on him w the mess he's made. I've been told similar things regarding Lavin's interest in leaving. Does it mean they are guaranteed to be 100% accurate? No one gets guaranteed info. I'm not hanging around Tafner Fieldhouse waiting for info.

I don't need it. It's St.John's, and I know how this movie ends. All of you should, too.

SJUFAN

« Reply #345 on: April 14, 2014, 11:02:41 PM »
Baldi  was the first poster to give it straight about Sheed. I believe he did have 1 foot out the door.

But why wasn't he the first poster to say his foot is back in the door? If his source is as close to the program as he states, why does he never mention when the situation changes when its for the better? Its always quite on that front.

« Reply #346 on: April 14, 2014, 11:02:52 PM »

But does it really matter if his info may have been right about one rumor (which he still ultimately got wrong) when he's spewing crap in all directions hoping it sticks?

« Reply #347 on: April 14, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »
Baldi said Lavin would be out the entire season during his second year. No one wanted to hear it, and everyone gave him shit for it. We know how that turned out.

After watching Lavin ruin the last two seasons, I don't think it's unreasonable to come down on him w the mess he's made. I've been told similar things regarding Lavin's interest in leaving. Does it mean they are guaranteed to be 100% accurate?

The scary thing is a friend of mine from work gets st johns info from a friend of his. Turns out his friend gets it from these boards. lol

So I guarantee when some of us hear info it's from people who get the info from friends of theirs who get their info from these boards. Not saying that's the case for you but it definitely happens for some of us sometimes. :)

SJUFAN

« Reply #348 on: April 14, 2014, 11:09:03 PM »

He said he was leaving the program. How did that turn out? Where is the post that stated he wasn't going to leave? Where was the post that stated Jordan wasn't going to leave anymore? Have to question his motive.

Marillac

« Reply #349 on: April 14, 2014, 11:15:08 PM »

After watching Lavin ruin the last two seasons, I don't think it's unreasonable to come down on him w the mess he's made. I've been told similar things regarding Lavin's interest in leaving. Does it mean they are guaranteed to be 100% accurate?

The scary thing is a friend of mine from work gets st johns info from a friend of his. Turns out his friend gets it from these boards. lol

This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards!!!!! LOL
I bet this happens all the time.  Some guys are so authoritative with news it's hard to not believe them.  I bet there have been dozens of hunches that were "confirmed" by people sharing the news back to the original poster they learned by reading the post without anyone ever knowing.   

Baldi, if you are wrong this much and you swear you get it from someone else every time, at what point  are you going to stop believing it?  Hahahaha  This guy you talk to probably gets his info from Realfan!!!  "Fred, we need to have a talk about this inside info you keep giving me...it's always friggin wrong."

Poison

« Reply #350 on: April 14, 2014, 11:23:33 PM »

So I guarantee when some of us hear info it's from people who get the info from friends of theirs who get their info from these boards. Not saying that's the case for you but it definitely happens for some of us sometimes. :)

I can't speak to where other people get their info from, but the info I've posted, albeit rarely, doesn't come from a message board or a Twitter account. But truth be told, those are the places that usually encourage me to ask in the first place, because I don't do it often.

« Reply #351 on: April 14, 2014, 11:36:57 PM »

I bet this happens all the time.  Some guys are so authoritative with news it's hard to not believe them.  I bet there have been dozens of hunches that were "confirmed" by people sharing the news back to the original poster they learned by reading the post without anyone ever knowing.   

Baldi, if you are wrong this much and you swear you get it from someone else every time, at what point  are you going to stop believing it?  Hahahaha  This guy you talk to probably gets his info from Realfan!!!  "Fred, we need to have a talk about this inside info you keep giving me...it's always friggin wrong."

You're going to really laugh at this one because when I got back from vacation last week I was speaking to another friend and was asking him if he heard any st johns news about recruiting ( and this is a friend who isn't a member here and is much older than me but he used to be good friends with a former staff member from many years ago ) and he said he heard we were recruiting Anthony Mason's son.  Unfreaking real. Wonder where the person that told him that got that info. lol

Marillac

« Reply #352 on: April 14, 2014, 11:55:04 PM »

You're going to really laugh at this one because when I got back from vacation last week I was speaking to another friend and was asking him if he heard any st johns news about recruiting ( and this is a friend who isn't a member here and is much older than me but he used to be good friends with a former staff member from many years ago ) and he said he heard we were recruiting Anthony Mason's son.  Unfreaking real. Wonder where the person that told him that got that info. lol

My plan is working! 

« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »
Curious Baldi as to what you heard about halftime of the Prov game/Obekpa and his views on Lavin in general.  I think you are dead on that Obekpa refused to enter the game -- I was sitting behind the St. John's bench and, based on what I saw, believe that is exactly the case.  Been corroborated by a bunch of other folks too.

« Reply #354 on: April 15, 2014, 05:50:12 AM »
Curious Baldi as to what you heard about halftime of the Prov game/Obekpa and his views on Lavin in general.  I think you are dead on that Obekpa refused to enter the game -- I was sitting behind the St. John's bench and, based on what I saw, believe that is exactly the case.  Been corroborated by a bunch of other folks too.

Long story short. Lavin was a no show in the lockerroom for the Providence and NIT games. Players complained to staff that they had no directions. Staff responded with "do what you do". And they did

Foad

« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:21 AM »
And for the record, I never made any of this up. It was told to me. Wrong or not, I posted it. I'm not here looking for anyone's approval

Weird that you never share any positive news.

Weird that you're such a pollyanna.

« Reply #356 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:08 AM »
Team has made the tourney once in like 20 years, hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since Jimmy Carter was President, our 3 rd best player has declared for the NBDL draft and Bluto is what you guys are complaining about  ???
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:45:44 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #357 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:50 AM »

Long story short. Lavin was a no show in the lockerroom for the Providence and NIT games. Players complained to staff that they had no directions. Staff responded with "do what you do". And they did

in all seriousness, if he wasnt there , where the hell was he ? Doing his hair for FS1 ?

« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2014, 07:55:51 AM »
Team has made the tourney once in like 20 years, hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since Jimmy Carter was President, our 3 rd best player has declared for the NBDL draft and Bluto is what you guys are complaining about  ???

And now Lavin is out on the recruiting trail picking up scraps and some fans are getting excited over this. Falling right back into that PR abyss

« Reply #359 on: April 15, 2014, 08:10:39 AM »
I actually want Baldi to predict more guys leaving.  He is a mush and always wrong!  Winning the lottery sealed his fate.  Hearing anything about Harrison, Baldi?  Maybe Jordan is reconsidering?

Does anyone know where tony Chiles was on Saturday?  Serious question

40/40

Ok thanks. During the day?

Idk, tell us

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure he was sitting next to me with 2 other guys at a pub in Mineola. This guy had had St Johns gear from head to toe and was speaking an awful lot on the Obekpa situation. From the refusal to re-enter the game, to what Lavin did at halftime, and to what Obekpa thought about Lavin in general. 1 of the guys was calling him Tony.  Looked a lot like Chiles. Could be wrong, but he looked a lot like the asst coach. LI Lightning play right down the road

Which Pub that's my hood, I've frequented a few?