@ Mullun. The St. James

Nice place, good food and drink.

Yes sir. A lot of local coaches hang out there

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #363 on: April 15, 2014, 08:28:45 AM »
Yes they do.

« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »
That would seem nuts to me that the guy wasn't in the locker room providing instruction during halftime of our biggest game of the year.

Poison

« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2014, 10:24:47 AM »
That would seem nuts to me that the guy wasn't in the locker room providing instruction during halftime of our biggest game of the year.

It does, but didn't Baron Davis once say that he played on the only team to make the NCAA tournament's Sweet Sixteen w out a coach?
After grabbing a rebound, seeing guys like Sampson, Pointer and Sanchez routinely bring it up and try to make a play was maddening, and indicative of a system without structure. Lavin's system seemed like there wasn't a system. Quite frankly, we saw that with Sean Evans, who often thought that he was a point guard.

pmg911

« Reply #366 on: April 15, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »
Quite frankly, we saw that with Sean Evans, who often thought that he was a point guard.

You saw that with Evan when Norm Roberts was the coach....    didn't happen when Lavin took over because Dunlap put an end to it. It took 3/4 of the year for Evans to embrace his correct role and he played well down the stretch that season.

Poison

« Reply #367 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »
Quite frankly, we saw that with Sean Evans, who often thought that he was a point guard.

You saw that with Evan when Norm Roberts was the coach....    didn't happen when Lavin took over because Dunlap put an end to it. It took 3/4 of the year for Evans to embrace his correct role and he played well down the stretch that season.

Right, Lavin has no structure in place. Players choose what position they want to play, and what kind of defense they want to play. Lavin would rurally be at his best if he operated as a GM, and not as a coach.

ras

« Reply #368 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:01 AM »
Curious Baldi as to what you heard about halftime of the Prov game/Obekpa and his views on Lavin in general.  I think you are dead on that Obekpa refused to enter the game -- I was sitting behind the St. John's bench and, based on what I saw, believe that is exactly the case.  Been corroborated by a bunch of other folks too.

Long story short. Lavin was a no show in the lockerroom for the Providence and NIT games. Players complained to staff that they had no directions. Staff responded with "do what you do". And they did
I find that hard to believe. If true, show Lavin the door.

desco80

« Reply #369 on: April 15, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »
Baldi, do you mean literally didn't show up in the locker room?   Or he showed up as an empty suit with no meaningful advice?   
I tend to think it's the latter.   Physically he must've been there, but maybe he wasn't there the whole time.

« Reply #370 on: April 15, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »
Baldi, do younger mean literally didn't show up in the locker room?   Or he showed up as an empty suit with no meaningful advice?   
I tend to think it's the latter.   Physically he must've been there, but maybe he wasn't there the whole time.

The 3 guys were talking about Laving being a "no show" in the lockerrom at halftime. The team was looking for guidance etc.. The staff told them "to do what you do". That's exactly what I heard. I guess it can be interpreted either way.
Lavin asked Obekpa if he was ready to go in and then told him he doesn't look ready

SJUFAN

« Reply #371 on: April 15, 2014, 11:54:15 AM »
Baldi, do younger mean literally didn't show up in the locker room?   Or he showed up as an empty suit with no meaningful advice?   

The 3 guys were talking about Laving being a "no show" in the lockerrom at halftime. The team was looking for guidance etc.. The staff told them "to do what you do". That's exactly what I heard. I guess it can be interpreted either way.
Lavin asked Obekpa if he was ready to go in and then told him he doesn't look ready

This is such BS. Pay this crap no mind. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:55:20 AM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #372 on: April 15, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »
You can ignore my posts and go continue to talk about the backup center Lavin signed who averaged 12 points against 6'1 kids at St Francis Prep

SJUFAN

« Reply #373 on: April 15, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »
You can ignore my posts and go continue to talk about the backup center Lavin signed who averaged 12 points against 6'1 kids at St Francis Prep

Actually I think your posts are amusing, bias and full of conjecture, but amusing. Others need to understand that as well and take what you say with a grain of salt.

boo3

« Reply #374 on: April 15, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
 I have heard of coaches being so pissed at their teams that they didn't talk to them at halftime...We will never know what really went down...I don't even care anymore.. Last year is in the process of being erased from my memory.

Lavin is such a lousy in game coach, what's the difference? Right?

« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2014, 12:16:10 PM »
I agree boo. The players seem to run around and do what they do all season anyway

ras

« Reply #376 on: April 15, 2014, 12:28:43 PM »
Even If Baldis story was true, then Whitesell  sp? would tell the players what to do , unless the program was in such a state of disarray nobody cared.

SJUFAN

« Reply #377 on: April 15, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »
Even If Baldis story was true, then Whitesell  sp? would tell the players what to do , unless the program was in such a state of disarray nobody cared.

That is exact. If Lavin was not there, there are other competent coaches on the staff that would provide the team some direction. That's not even a question, that happens. There not just going to sit there twiddling their thumps.   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:46:14 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #378 on: April 15, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
"Do what you do"

Poison

« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »

Yea, but he's the best rebounder Lavin has ever recruited at this stage of his career. So, there's that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:27:37 PM by Poison »