Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

Poison

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #400 on: May 15, 2014, 11:22:14 PM »
Lavin he wants to shore up the frontcourt. Thinks we still need another big man. Maybe a wing as well. Lawrence is visiting this weekend, and so is another kid from Texas. IDK the kid's name. Maybe someone else does?

Other recruits are coming. Class isn't finished yet. Kid from Georgia Tech is visiting soon. That's all I got.

Lavin said all this?

Yes he did

Come on Poison are you joking?  If you are joking I don't get the joke.

If you are not joking then I assume Coach alluded to the names since he would not be able to talk directly about a recruit or transfer who is not yet signed with SJU.

Also where is the podcast?

When I tell a joke, it's a good joke.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #401 on: May 16, 2014, 12:55:27 AM »
Lavin he wants to shore up the frontcourt. Thinks we still need another big man. Maybe a wing as well. Lawrence is visiting this weekend, and so is another kid from Texas. IDK the kid's name. Maybe someone else does?

Other recruits are coming. Class isn't finished yet. Kid from Georgia Tech is visiting soon. That's all I got.

Lavin said all this?

Yes he did

Come on Poison are you joking?  If you are joking I don't get the joke.

If you are not joking then I assume Coach alluded to the names since he would not be able to talk directly about a recruit or transfer who is not yet signed with SJU.

Also where is the podcast?

When I tell a joke, it's a good joke.

Did you hear about the latest Pirate movie?
It was rated RRRRRRRRRR!!!! Hey O!
Cougar O' Malley

desco80

« Reply #402 on: May 16, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »
I'm confused, how are we involved with all these recruits if Lavin took the recruiting year off?

1) they are leftovers
2) we're getting played.  Lavin is trying to make himself look good by being "involved" with numerous recruits.  In reality, our program is toxic at the moment.

« Reply #403 on: May 16, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »
I'm confused, how are we involved with all these recruits if Lavin took the recruiting year off?

1) they are leftovers
2) we're getting played.  Lavin is trying to make himself look good by being "involved" with numerous recruits.  In reality, our program is toxic at the moment.

According to you.

« Reply #404 on: May 16, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

No. According to the product on the court

desco80

« Reply #405 on: May 16, 2014, 02:54:48 PM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

According to the rankings, they are not top players.   According to other division one basketball coaches, they are leftovers, otherwise they would have been signed by now.
And look a few posts up to paultz's comment.  I might fly off the handle on occasion, he's a lot more rationale and he's saying we're being played too. 

I might be exaggerating by saying the program is toxic.   But things aren't going well when your team under-performs and then your coach has his worst recruiting season in his coaching history.   

paultzman

« Reply #406 on: May 16, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

According to the rankings, they are not top players.   According to other division one basketball coaches, they are leftovers, otherwise they would have been signed by now.
And look a few posts up to paultz's comment.  I might fly off the handle on occasion, he's a lot more rationale and he's saying we're being played too. 

I might be exaggerating by saying the program is toxic.   But things aren't going well when your team under-performs and then your coach has his worst recruiting season in his coaching history.   

Just to be clear, I meant "being played" in context of Poison's tweet about Lav sharing info about additional recruits. I hope there is truth to it, but I didn't believe Lav would say such things. Sorry if I should have been clearer.

desco80

« Reply #407 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

Just to be clear, I meant "being played" in context of Poison's tweet about Lav sharing info about additional recruits. I hope there is truth to it, but I didn't believe Lav would say such things. Sorry if I should have been clearer.

fair enough then.  Sorry to drag you into it Paultz.
I'm a little frustrated, and I don't understand why more fans aren't.   How long is Lavin's rope supposed to be?   Do we give him 6 years? 8?

paultzman

« Reply #408 on: May 16, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

I'm a little frustrated, and I don't understand why more fans aren't.   How long is Lavin's rope supposed to be?   Do we give him 6 years? 8?

Let's see if he can get this squad to NCAA Tourney, balance roster & land a great 15 class. Those goals seem fair. I'll leave contract extension terms to administration. Hopefully someone there will have clear expectations in mind.

SJUFAN

« Reply #409 on: May 16, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

How short is it supposed to be? This is the only year you can say was a dissapointmenet base on expectations and recruiting.

« Reply #410 on: May 16, 2014, 03:40:39 PM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

Why are we even talking about a rope? You seem to be under the misapprehension that we won 10 games last season. You don't talk about a coaches rope after a 20 win season in which he improved the team from the previous season. Only the Kentuckys of the world can do that. You also seem to be under the misapprehension that because of one mediocre recruiting season which doesn't even appear to be over yet, that obviously means he will never get highly rated recruits ever again. Lavin has overall been a moderate disappointment thus far in his tenure at St. John's. Not close to being fired, not close to be getting a long extension. I expected a tourney bid last season, we just missed. That does not mean the program is "toxic." That means we had a moderately disappointing season. If we won 10 games I'd agree with you. But we didn't.

goredmen

« Reply #411 on: May 16, 2014, 04:01:43 PM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

Why are we even talking about a rope? You seem to be under the misapprehension that we won 10 games last season. You don't talk about a coaches rope after a 20 win season in which he improved the team from the previous season. Only the Kentuckys of the world can do that. You also seem to be under the misapprehension that because of one mediocre recruiting season which doesn't even appear to be over yet, that obviously means he will never get highly rated recruits ever again. Lavin has overall been a moderate disappointment thus far in his tenure at St. John's. Not close to being fired, not close to be getting a long extension. I expected a tourney bid last season, we just missed. That does not mean the program is "toxic." That means we had a moderately disappointing season. If we won 10 games I'd agree with you. But we didn't.

20 wins is not an accomplishment anymore especially when only 2 of those 20 wins were against decent teams. For a team that had the talent to make the big boy tournament to only make the NIT makes the season a failure no matter how many crappy teams they beat up on. If 20 wins makes a season successful despite not making the tourney why don't we just leave the Big East, go independent and just schedule any MAAC/NEC/Big South/SWAC/SOCON teams that will play us so we can have a 30 win season?

boo3

« Reply #412 on: May 16, 2014, 04:05:57 PM »
He has a contract.  Let him finish it.  Next year is make or break. 

Norm got 6 years that were dreadful.  SL deserves at least same. 

« Reply #413 on: May 16, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

20 wins is not an accomplishment anymore especially when only 2 of those 20 wins were against decent teams. For a team that had the talent to make the big boy tournament to only make the NIT makes the season a failure no matter how many crappy teams they beat up on. If 20 wins makes a season successful despite not making the tourney why don't we just leave the Big East, go independent and just schedule any MAAC/NEC/Big South/SWAC/SOCON teams that will play us so we can have a 30 win season?

Please highlight in my post where I said 20 wins was an accomplishment or successful. I believe the phrase I used was "moderate disappointment."

paultzman

« Reply #414 on: May 16, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »

Lavin said all this?

Yes he did

thanks, I didnt think he could say such specific things.

Just to be clear, Lavin, Masur, Tilton, etc were at WFAN to drop off gear, not to do interviews. Photos, captions below indicate that;

@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB PHOTO GALLERY: @SJUCoachLavin and @DaveMasur visit @WFAN660 on Thursday: http://t.co/Xu4oVZ0otx #SJUMSOC
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:58:33 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #415 on: May 16, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »

Lavin said all this?

Yes he did

thanks, I didnt think he could say such specific things.

Just to be clear, Lavin, Masur, Tilton, etc were at WFAN to drop off gear, not to do interviews. Photos, captions below indicate that;

@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB PHOTO GALLERY: @SJUCoachLavin and @DaveMasur visit @WFAN660 on Thursday: http://t.co/Xu4oVZ0otx #SJUMSOC
Dropping off gear to a guy notorious for having alligator arms towards his school?  smh

Tiznow

« Reply #416 on: May 17, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

Desco,  Your posts indicate that you are bit more than frustrated.  I think all fans were frustrated with the way the season ended.  Do you still admit to hating this coach?

Tiznow

« Reply #417 on: May 17, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »
Hearing this is done deal. Time for both parties to move on. Get Massiello on the phone ASAP

Dave, it is very clear that this was a BS attempt to bust the balls of St John's fans. Is it time to change the BS title of this thread?  It damages the program to let this tool get away with his BS.   

« Reply #418 on: May 17, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »

1) they are leftovers

According to you.

I think most fans are disappointed with the '14 recruiting class.  From afar, it seems Lavin clearly dropped the ball.  But as of right now, St. John's has a pretty solid team headed into next season.  They have a very nice starting backcourt (Harrison, Jordan) with depth players as well (PG IV, Branch, Balamou).  Despite the drama, Obekpa is a very good defensive player who contributed on the offensive end for a stretch last season.  If players like Pointer, Thomas, Jones, and/or ADR step up, the team will probably be pretty good.  Am I happy with pretty good at the five year mark?  Not really, but it's better than past years.

I'm hoping the upcoming season is a good one and Lavin strikes it rich with the '15 recruiting class.  Getting a transfer like Robert Carter from G'Tech would be a nice start to that.  Hopefully we get a few commits over the next few months and bring some positive news to the program.

dR3w

« Reply #419 on: May 19, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »
How short is it supposed to be? This is the only year you can say was a dissapointmenet base on expectations and recruiting.

I can't speak for everyone else, but his second year, when 3 guys couldn't make it to campus, and his starting PG transferred early in the season ... whether he was the active HC or not ... I was disappointed.