Who are top 5 backcourts in SJU history?

• 41 replies

Re: Who are top 5 backcourts in SJU history?
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »
elite eight it was!!!! I stand corrected......so long ago......

desco80

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »
Barkley and Bootsy  are the best I've seen, but I agree that Rysheed and D'Angelo could give them a run for their money if things break right this season.
I'm excited to see what the two of them can do with a full year of experience playing together behind them.   

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 04:19:17 AM »
elite eight it was!!!! I stand corrected......so long ago......
Attended the wedding of my friend and fellow season ticket holder that night avoided the score and watched it at 3 am on my VCR which shows you how long ago it was.

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 12:30:52 PM »
Dlo and Rysheed

I take Hardy and Horne over them. As of now, still time

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »
Dlo and Rysheed

Thought about it. Hardy was that good his senior year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
Two season man, the great Billy Lawrence and whoever ran with him, probably Kenny McKintyre.  Too bad he flunked out.  Didn't like class, did like beer.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:17:02 PM by cjfish »

jsk

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 12:24:46 PM »
Amen to the comment on Billy Lawrence. What could have been will never be known, a sad story of choices made and a  future lost. He was a Great one that took the wrong turn!

TONYD3

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 01:27:13 PM »
Best back court since I have been watching. Barkley, bootsey, chudney, and postel. Not close!

cjfish

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »
Amen to the comment on Billy Lawrence. What could have been will never be known, a sad story of choices made and a  future lost. He was a Great one that took the wrong turn!

Paraphrasing Jack Curran , Lawrence's HS coach at Molloy:  The most skilled and quickest player I ever had.

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 05:41:02 PM »

Paraphrasing Jack Curran , Lawrence's HS coach at Molloy:  The most skilled and quickest player I ever had.
Never saw him play came back to N Y in  January 1964. He played in 17 games in the 1963-64 season. Was he ineligible for the second semester?

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »
Dlo and Rysheed

No way.  I loved Hardy and authored the thread "Hardy v. Hatten," claiming we would remember Hardy in the same breath after his senior season. 

Hardy and Harrison are both very similar.  They have good, underrated handles, they can shoot the lights outs, they both are crafty and rather unathletic, and both have good midrange games.  Harrison has better vision and passing ability--I think the collective low bball IQ of the guys around him as not allowed us fans to really appreciate that aspect.  Harrison is also a much better rebounder and defender. 

Horne was a truly great defender and relished that aspect of the game. When he was on the court their was noticeable increase in deflections, steals, fast breaks, and a better rebound margin.  Things just happened when he was in the game.  He also had a dependable corner three-point shot.  He had nothing between his dunks and threes offensively. 

Jordan seems to bring the same kind of impact in terms of things happening when he's out there.  His hands are incredible.  He also might be the best rebounding PG in the country not named Delon Wright.  His ticket to the NBA will come from the defensive end IMO and his potential there is just scary if he has the shutdown mindset.  He also gives us more in terms of offense than Horne.  He is the perfect complement to Harrison.

As for the Bench, it's really tough to beat being able pull two seniors with that much experience in Greene and Branch.  Boothe, while clearly not a starting caliber player, was very underrated off the bench IMO.  He couldn't hit a shot to save his life, but the kid was as physical as they come and helped cover up Hardy's lack of defense.

But Bootsy and Barkley were a Final Four caliber back court.  They came one shot away. The 2011 squad was scraping their head on their ceiling.  This current squad has a higher ceiling if for no other reason than any two of Obekpa, Pointer, Jordan, and Branch blowing up could catapult them to a new level.  Still, the Final Four doesn't seem possible and I'm a homer.

cjfish

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »

Never saw him play came back to N Y in  January 1964. He played in 17 games in the 1963-64 season. Was he ineligible for the second semester?

Saw him play once, I was young.  Followed SJU in the papers.  Game I saw he was fantastic, dominated at 5'11'.  Thought he played two years, could not find stats.  He did flunk out.  He got a job and played in the Press league (Long Island Press) for years.  Kenny Mac was the off guard.  If you have a site with his stats I would be curious.  Relying primarily on my memory and Curran's comments.  Today he would be a top 10 recruit.  Then, as the oldtimers remember, SJU got many of the top NY prospects.   

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 10:34:59 AM »
http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-basketball/story/_/id/3919668/x-o-jack-curran/ 

Probably the most skilled was Billy Lawrence. He played in 1961. He's retired and lives in Florida now.

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/lZARNg0_EeCi4gAcxJSkrA/archbishop-molloys-jack-curran-still-coaching-2-sports-at-80.htm

Surprisingly, Curran says that 5-11 guard Billy Lawrence, a 1961 graduate, "Probably had more skill than anybody. He could do everything. He was the quickest thing in sneakers and the first player Dean Smith recruited (at North Carolina). He went (transferred) to St. John's for two years, but he refused to go to class. He could have played in the NBA."

Lawrence, who is a retired New York City transit policeman now living in Spring Hill, Fla., says, "It's hard to describe (Curran). I don't think he's changed over the years. He's a very decent human being who never degraded anybody."

Lawrence averaged 26 points as a senior and was named a high school All-American. However, when he reached college he injured his knee and admits, "I was a bad boy. All I wanted to do was party and play ball. It probably cost me a lot of money (by not reaching the NBA)."

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »

Saw him play once, I was young.  Followed SJU in the papers.  Game I saw he was fantastic, dominated at 5'11'.  Thought he played two years, could not find stats.  He did flunk out.  He got a job and played in the Press league (Long Island Press) for years.  Kenny Mac was the off guard.  If you have a site with his stats I would be curious.  Relying primarily on my memory and Curran's comments.  Today he would be a top 10 recruit.  Then, as the oldtimers remember, SJU got many of the top NY prospects.   
     Source SJU Media Guide Section by year list won/lost opponents as well as stats by player

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »
Here's a glimpse of what our two best players are capable of.

#BIGEASTbests No. 5: D'Angelo Harrison & Rysheed Jordan Combine For 48 Points
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
I forgot how much sheeds jump shot came along as the season went on.  Improvement in his jumper, ability to go left and decision making will decide how ready he is for the next level.

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »

Thanks Mase.

That video got me so jacked on the season. Pumped!

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 01:44:55 AM »

I posted more in detail on Redmen, but Dom was on the court for four of these highlights and he didn' attempt to follow a single shot.  Gtown looked AWFUL and their effort was crap.  Everyone was flying by them for would-be misses thorughout this video--everyone, but Pointer.
We simply can't play with that kid standing on the perimeter all game like last year.  He's not even a shooter! He was 15% from three.  If there is one player in the country that should never be standing still on the perimeter, it is Dom Pointer.  Does the staff even watch film?   With his athletic gifts, he should be a menace on the boards and he should be attacking the glass with reckless abandon like Lavor Postell used to do.  Lavor would come flying in from out of the camera view before the shot was released.  Nobody even covers Pointer!  He's never seen a box out that far out.  He is leaving 2-3 SC Top Ten plays on the floor with that lack of hustle, and he's allowing other teams to get away with zoning us.  Weakside rebounding it the best way to neutralize a zone. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:47:44 AM by Marillac »