Mustapha Heron - Auburn Transfer - ST. JOHN’S

• 289 replies
Re: Mustapha Heron - 6'4'' SG, Waterbury CT - AUBURN
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »
Auburn hired Bruce Pearl precisely because he wins.  Your logic is twisted.   There is a reason Miss St and Auburn hired two proven coaches because Mike Slive and the SEC made it clear they are not simply content at being a great football conference they want to be a great basketball conference as well.  Your denigrating of everything outside of the tri-state area not only pathetic but ignorant.   The fact is Pearl already won at UT a SEC football school in Knoxville but yet he shouldn't be able to get players to Auburn....

If that is the case why did Auburn fire Barbee and hire Pearl?  Because Pearl brings baggage yes but he is a great coach who wins.

SJU will be fine.   Get the 3 kids they are lined up for and then make a play in the spring for Alkins.

Even without Rawle that would be a good class but getting the others will allow them to play with house money.

Pete88

« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: And for the #sjubb bridge-jumpers, they remain in great shape with Kassoum Yakwe, Shamorie Ponds and Bashir Ahmed. Relax.

We don't have to get them all. We never had that expectation anyway. A kid wants to go to Auburn for basketball, good luck to him. To go from Connecticut to Alabama is alarming. And to do it for a garbage school in the Deep South for a coach with a history of cheating is alarming.

Still, he's not a kid from NY who jumped town to a dump like Lance did. As far as I know, Heron wasn't our local to lose. The local star came home to save his program, and I think that means he's here to keep local stars home. Ponds is the key to this class. He's the beginning. F this stupid shit. We don't need a player this stupid.
Honestly, if you weren't so ignorant and senile I might be insulted by you calling a kid stupid, but alas there is a reason so all is forgiven.

paultzman

« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2015, 04:03:29 PM »
Auburn hired Bruce Pearl precisely because he wins.  Your logic is twisted.   There is a reason Miss St and Auburn hired two proven coaches because Mike Slive and the SEC made it clear they are not simply content at being a great football conference they want to be a great basketball conference as well.  Your denigrating of everything outside of the tri-state area not only pathetic but ignorant.   The fact is Pearl already won at UT a SEC football school in Knoxville but yet he shouldn't be able to get players to Auburn....

If that is the case why did Auburn fire Barbee and hire Pearl?  Because Pearl brings baggage yes but he is a great coach who wins.

SJU will be fine.   Get the 3 kids they are lined up for and then make a play in the spring for Alkins.

Even without Rawle that would be a good class but getting the others will allow them to play with house money.
"
"SJU will be fine. Get the 3 kids they are lined up for and then make a play in the spring for  Alkins"

Precisely

« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »
We were "lined up" for Heron at one point too.  Though its a bit early to be overly concerned about 16 after a solid 15 class.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2015, 04:43:04 PM »
We were confident about rowan, and heron was for sure coming.  Go back as far as Sampson who we were lined up for when the staff was flying out to visit him at his home. Everybody went crazy when we put out all these offers and nobody is questioning the work ethic and all of that is terrific........ But sooner or later you're gonna have to land some of the big fish that we are favorites for.  Guess I'm just not as optimistic as you guys but with visits left on tap for yakwe and ponds, and our recent trend of being frontrunners turned bridesmaids, I'm not putting any horse before the cart.  Let's get firm commitments out of these kids and make sure lovett, sima and incoming guys are qualified. Getting the rest of the staff announced soon wouldn't hurt either. Until then consider me cautiously optimistic.

Moose

« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2015, 04:51:30 PM »
Just wondering. This kid has a tendency of flipping.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Re: Mustapha Heron - 6'4'' SG, Waterbury CT
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
Auburn tho?? Guess we can't compete with these boosters
I did say we were toast when the SEC got involved, or any southern school.  And no we can't compete with southern boosters.   I knew it as soon as i saw it.  Sampson and Jarelle Martin and everyone else that we lost out on.  These places have been known to hire strippers (and even worse) to pose as undergrads to get the kids infatuated with the school.  But Pearl has this all figured out.  I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.  They come in suddenly sweep people right off their feet.  These places cheat like crazy.  Even more so in football.

Poison

« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: And for the #sjubb bridge-jumpers, they remain in great shape with Kassoum Yakwe, Shamorie Ponds and Bashir Ahmed. Relax.

We don't have to get them all. We never had that expectation anyway. A kid wants to go to Auburn for basketball, good luck to him. To go from Connecticut to Alabama is alarming. And to do it for a garbage school in the Deep South for a coach with a history of cheating is alarming.

Still, he's not a kid from NY who jumped town to a dump like Lance did. As far as I know, Heron wasn't our local to lose. The local star came home to save his program, and I think that means he's here to keep local stars home. Ponds is the key to this class. He's the beginning. F this stupid shit. We don't need a player this stupid.
Honestly, if you weren't so ignorant and senile I might be insulted by you calling a kid stupid, but alas there is a reason so all is forgiven.

He went to Auburn for basketball. If you don't think that's stupid, then you obviously are pretty stupid yourself. Nothing new here. Carry on, local nice person.

Poison

« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2015, 06:41:48 PM »
Just wondering. This kid has a tendency of flipping.

He picked Auburn for basketball. He's being paid.

goredmen

« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »

He went to Auburn for basketball. If you don't think that's stupid, then you obviously are pretty stupid yourself. Nothing new here. Carry on, local nice person.

You do realize that St. John's and Auburn have the same exact number of NCAA Tournament wins in the last decade right? Auburn also has a head coach that has proved he can win anywhere, our head coach is a question mark. If we beat out Kentucky or Kansas or Duke their fans would call the kid stupid for picking St. John's over their school, and they'd be just as right as you are here

isham

« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
Last week I was out with two former D1 head coaches and we were talking hoops. They said Slice is the best D 1 recruiter with a brief case full of cash.  They doubted he would be successful at SJU referencing his failure at Mann College.

« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Auburn tho?? Guess we can't compete with these boosters
I did say we were toast when the SEC got involved, or any southern school.  And no we can't compete with southern boosters.   I knew it as soon as i saw it.  Sampson and Jarelle Martin and everyone else that we lost out on.  These places have been known to hire strippers (and even worse) to pose as undergrads to get the kids infatuated with the school.  But Pearl has this all figured out.  I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.  They come in suddenly sweep people right off their feet.  These places cheat like crazy.  Even more so in football.

Pearl and Auburn just started recruiting Heron (a top 20 kid) around June or July, and swooped in and got him within a month or month and a half.  That is something Calipari, Coach K, or anyone who recruits at UNC or Kansas are capable of doing.

As, I stated before....  I'm extremely aware of the SEC boosters shenanigans when it comes to football recruiting, so I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if those same SEC schools are up to those same unethical practices when it comes to hoops. 

I also stated earlier there was a some quotes from Dave that seemed to be indirectly mentioning a muddled recruitment.   

« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2015, 10:05:38 PM »
Wasn't worth the hassle guys. He's a great player but this is a new era at St. John's. There is a strong chance there will be two commits within two weeks. One for sure.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2015, 10:08:49 PM »
Guess we can forget Heron playing with Rawle in college as I doubt he will follow him to Auburn.

Poison

« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2015, 10:13:05 PM »

You do realize that St. John's and Auburn have the same exact number of NCAA Tournament wins in the last decade right? Auburn also has a head coach that has proved he can win anywhere, our head coach is a question mark. If we beat out Kentucky or Kansas or Duke their fans would call the kid stupid for picking St. John's over their school, and they'd be just as right as you are here

He went to Auburn. No one questions the kid's judgement or honesty when they pick UNC, Duke, GTown, Cal, Stanford, UF etc, but Auburn. Come on! Here, you're in NY. You have MSG.

Mullin may be a new coach, but Pearl is proven to be dirty.

goredmen

« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »

He went to Auburn. No one questions the kid's judgement or honesty when they pick UNC, Duke, GTown, Cal, Stanford, UF etc, but Auburn. Come on! Here, you're in NY. You have MSG.

Mullin may be a new coach, but Pearl is proven to be dirty.

Auburn also has A++++ facilities. Looking at that and then Taffner it doesn't matter what sport you're playing.  That's why fans of big conference programs would think a top recruit is stupid for choosing SJU the way you are calling this kid stupid for picking Auburn

QuanMan

« Reply #216 on: August 17, 2015, 03:56:57 AM »
Fellas, just be honest w yourselves and put things in true perspective for crying out loud. Think about the succession of events over the course of the past four months. We have Chris Mullin and his team of elite national recruiters that all have proven, tangible NYC roots on our side. I'm going to ride w these guys from year one to year four, and this is month four. I have enough faith in this proven staff to the point where a Heron commit to a shady SEC school w a proven crooked coach can't sway my confidence in what's truly going on on and off campus. #SJUBB
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2015, 09:55:59 AM »
The bottom line...and we all know it...is if we don't sign blue chippers we'll be our usual irrelevant selves.  I love the crew we have right now.  They better get back to the drawing board.  And how about some assistants to put them over the top?

« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »
A day later:

@jeffborzello
Five-star guard Terrance Ferguson has committed to Alabama.

« Reply #219 on: August 17, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »
Wasn't worth the hassle guys. He's a great player but this is a new era at St. John's. There is a strong chance there will be two commits within two weeks. One for sure.
Is there one for sure? Great.  Who would that be.  Sorry for that, but you sort of begged the question.