JaKarr chatter on Twitter

• 308 replies

MCNPA

Re: JaKarr chatter on Twitter
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »
CO is far more important than Sampson.  Keep him and things will be fine if Lavin can pickup some transfers.

We have zero frontcourt scoring nor rebounding next year.  We don't have any legit division 1 frontcourt starters on the team.  How are we going to be competitive?  Who's gonna score?  Who's gonna rebound? Teams will zone us to death, and we didn't score nor rebound well in the frontcourt even with Sampson and Sanchez.

Now we have the worst of all worlds.  We are a poor shooting team that lost/is losing our entire frontcourt.   Teams will zone us to death.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:11:24 PM by MCNPA »

ras

« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2014, 07:17:29 PM »
CO is far more important tn Sampson.  Keep him and things will be fine if Lavin can pickup some transfers.
Most transfers have to sit out a year. Maybe w all the coaching changes we can pick up a decommit.    With 4 scholis open and the probability of CO leaving I love the quote by Lavin saying he is going to concentrate on 15 and 16.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:21:44 PM by ras »

« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2014, 07:18:13 PM »
I'm hearing Dom gonna declare. And maybe another but that's just rumors right now. But with the year they had I wouldn't put it pass anyone. I like Lav but they had a bad year. He needs to refocus and go full steam on the class of 2015. Alot of studs in that class
New Apparel line needed - RecruitSoHardU  '15 is the whole enchilada.  Staff better have the full court press on because we're as The Roots sang, Rising Down...

desco80

« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »
Wait, did Kob really say Dom is thinking of leaving?
I don't remember seeing that post, but wow.  Hopefully he said that sarcastically. 

paultzman

« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »
Wait, did Kob really say Dom is thinking of leaving?
I don't remember seeing that post, but wow.  Hopefully he said that sarcastically. 

In error. He later said he meant Karr.

Marillac

« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »
CO is far more important than Sampson.  Keep him and things will be fine if Lavin can pickup some transfers.

We have zero frontcourt scoring nor rebounding next year.  We don't have any legit division 1 frontcourt starters on the team.  How are we going to be competitive?  Who's gonna score?  Who's gonna rebound? Teams will zone us to death, and we didn't score nor rebound well in the frontcourt even with Sampson and Sanchez.

Now we have the worst of all worlds.  We are a poor shooting team that lost/is losing our entire frontcourt.   Teams will zone us to death.

Settle down MCN...settle down!
Who is going to rebound?  Who rebounded for us this year?  Nobody. Sampson was great on the offensive glass when he wanted it, but he and Sanchez never boxed anyone out...ever.  In terms of just rebounding and post defense, the DelaRosa brothers are like a + impact over Sampson and Sanchez.  Jones, at worst, is a complete replacement of GG. 

Also, who ever scored for us down low?  Sampson got everything from his 15 footer or in transition.  I think there were 10-12 made baskets all year from Sanchez/Sampson down low in the half court.

The zone would have hurt us with Sampson or without.  The kid cost us at least 5 possessions a game, so whoever takes his place will start out +8-10 right from the get go.  Box a few guys out set some screens and that could swell.  The best thing that can happen for next year is Jordan to come back with a better jumper...he's not bad and most freshman make a big jump from the outside year one to year two.  Hooper will be exponentially better next season after his year of experience at the Big East level.  I think he will be able to give us a much better 15 mpg against zones.

« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »

Christian Jones is gonna make so many people eat crow next year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2014, 09:32:16 PM »

I got my hot sauce ready...I would love that and I wouldn't put it past him.

« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

Does hot sauce go well with crow?  I was thinking something a little milder

« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2014, 12:21:45 AM »

I'm with you man. He could be the first real offensive post presence we've had in a while (don't really count Evan/Burrell). And I'm really hoping Obekpa stays and we see improvement in his post game too. I think we will be ok.

Marillac

« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2014, 12:51:19 AM »

Does hot sauce go well with crow?  I was thinking something a little milder

Hot sauce goes good with everything.

bk8664

« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2014, 08:00:51 AM »

I'm with you man. He could be the first real offensive post presence we've had in a while (don't really count Evan/Burrell). And I'm really hoping Obekpa stays and we see improvement in his post game too. I think we will be ok.

Not to be a naysayer - and I know he's got big shoulders - but isn't Jones a touch short to be counted on the post guy?    I'm not a hater at all and I know we don't have hardly any options... but I just figured this would be yet another year without post play.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:01:09 AM by bk8664 »

« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »

+1 we need another big but Jones is going to surprise a lot of people.

« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2014, 09:44:02 AM »

Not to be a naysayer - and I know he's got big shoulders - but isn't Jones a touch short to be counted on the post guy?    I'm not a hater at all and I know we don't have hardly any options... but I just figured this would be yet another year without post play.
It's not that he's too short.  It's that he's a yet another combo forward who likes the perimeter.  Someone with his size can be an effective 4 man for sure, but Jones has not yet demonstrated a back to the basket game or a propensity to rebound at a high level.

All that said, I like his upside and think he has a good chance to carve out a substantial role.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:44:26 AM by Gray Chudney »

derk

« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »
Let's cut back on the CO leaving talk before it becomes a self fulfilling prochecy. Where is it coming from anyway. He 'll have a guaranteed 30 minutes every game and he'll be a force if he can work on his offensive game over the summer. Who was that Louisville center who helped them win the title last year ? He could develope similarly.

« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »

It's not that he's too short.  It's that he's a yet another combo forward who likes the perimeter.  Someone with his size can be an effective 4 man for sure, but Jones has not yet demonstrated a back to the basket game or a propensity to rebound at a high level.

All that said, I like his upside and think he has a good chance to carve out a substantial role.

This combo forward talk came from his high school days. He showed nothing of that his freshmen year. He played inside, he set screens, he looked to post, he hit mid range jump shots off of pick and rolls.

« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »

There have been college fours who were shorter than him and have been successful. Look at Pinkston in our own league. The biggest thing he needs is a realization that he is most often then not the strongest kid out there and that he can get to where he wants to get on the court. If he gets that mean streak that Pinkston has then look at. Maybe im asking for too much but I saw the potential in the kid from day one. Hes also a pretty good passer.

« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2014, 12:15:37 PM »

This combo forward talk came from his high school days. He showed nothing of that his freshmen year. He played inside, he set screens, he looked to post, he hit mid range jump shots off of pick and rolls.
So you think he's a natural 4?  To me, he seemed like a 3 with the body of a 4.

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »

So you think he's a natural 4?  To me, he seemed like a 3 with the body of a 4.

Yea I think natural 4, body of a 4. What did you see that made you think he was a 3?

dR3w

« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »
[Yea I think natural 4, body of a 4. What did you see that made you think he was a 3?

FWIW I agree with Chudney.  He seemed to me to want to play the same way Jakarr does.  He didn't go down low unless he had to.  He preferred the jump shot.  He had great hops, but very little post up skills.  He really seemed to be more 3 than 4 to me.   He always seemed like he was too far from the basket for a guy his size.  I think Anthony Glover, but he is nothing like that.

Also, and this is a bit harsh, but his defense was bad his first year.  Often on screens or rubs, he would switch to the wrong man or not close out, and guys got a lot of open looks.  I hope that has changed with another year of practice under his belt.