Antoine Mason

• 41 replies

Marillac

Antoine Mason
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:47:41 PM »
I posted this on the other board, but wanted to see the thoughts.  He is #2 in the country in scoring at 25.2 ppg.  He draws the second most fouls, 8.8 fouls per game, and attempts 10.5 FTs per game. 

Antoine graduates in the spring and will have a year of eligibility remaining. He'd could play for us immediately. His SJU connections are everywhere:  his brother pllayed here, his coach is Chris Casey, and the president of his school is Father Maher--who sat on the bench at SJU for a decade.  It wouldn't be far-fetched for him to want to come 5 hours closer to home and play at the same arena his dad and brother played at. 

He dropped 34 on Seton Hall in his only Big East matchup this year.  He'll never see 25 ppg here, but he'd be a marked improvement over Dom at the three.  I've been watching the kid since he was like 12...he would be able to get in the lane here on a regular basis and he's a strong, strong kid. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:48:46 PM by Marillac »

Re: Antoine Mason
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »
Yes yes yes

hnk

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
Outside range?

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »
Outside range?

It's not his forte.  He shoots about 30% from three as a volume shooter the last two years.  I'm sure the #s would creep up if he just took open shots and didn't have to shoot five a game and carry his team.  Still, he's better than Sanchez, Branch, and Jordan and much better than Pointer. 

A starting five of Jordan-Harrison-Mason-Sampson-Obekpa would be sick. 

hnk

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
Thanks....would be fun

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 08:26:21 PM »
Is there any chance of this happening? I don't keep up much on Draft talk, but you would think the NCAA's leading scorer would definitely go first round.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
After watching Nova throw the ball across the court for open three pointers, I have to agree.

Would he be eligible to play immediately? I doubt he'd come here over playing in Europe. Kid put up crazy scoring numbers in D1, and that's worth a nice contract somewhere. He plays, and he risks being exposed as a guy that can only do it in a low level conference, and he risks injury.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
After watching Nova throw the ball across the court for open three pointers, I have to agree.

Would he be eligible to play immediately? I doubt he'd come here over playing in Europe. Kid put up crazy scoring numbers in D1, and that's worth a nice contract somewhere. He plays, and he risks being exposed as a guy that can only do it in a low level conference, and he risks injury.

But another way to look at it is if he plays well in a good conference, it could turn some NBA scouts heads.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
Would take him for sure. Reminds me of Dez wells on Maryland.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »

Look at it this way...Niagara is awful and his stats are probably looked at by many as the product of a

chucker on a bad team.  Most D-1 scoring champs don't play  in the NBA

He'd be eligible immediately.  He's a smart kid too...kind of reminds me of a more grounded Baron Davis.

I am not sure he's NBA or even first level Europe material at this point.  Most NCAA scoring champs from lower level schools aren't, and he's a classic tweener.  His father has money so it's not like he has to sacrifice his last year of eligibility for a pay check. 

Whatever he decides to do, he has to leave Niagara.  They will be awful again next season and how do you top this season?  He has a chance at a clean break and a second career almost.  It'd be nice to have a three that other teams actually have to defend.  It would also be cool to have a Mason legacy at St. John's.  No-brainer for the kid if the staff has interest.  Home town, big conference, same school as his older brother, same arena as his old man....

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »
From recent NY Times article:

"Antoine redshirted his freshman season because of a foot injury. He is on course to graduate in May with a degree in finance, leaving him with one year of eligibility. Although Casey said he expected him to stay, he might enhance his N.B.A. prospects by transferring to a program with greater exposure and proving he can flourish against better competition."

St. John's is that place, Antoine. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/sports/ncaabasketball/driven-to-succeed-just-like-his-father.html?hpw&rref=sports&_r=0

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 10:31:04 PM »
interesting idea

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 11:51:45 PM »
Since he is a big time scorer he may want to go somewhere he can get more shots and be a bigger part of the offense. Hopefully we have Sheed, Dlo and Karr back so would be difficult with us however he may want to prove he can blend in and do what a team needs.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 02:27:59 AM »
Since he is a big time scorer he may want to go somewhere he can get more shots and be a bigger part of the offense. Hopefully we have Sheed, Dlo and Karr back so would be difficult with us however he may want to prove he can blend in and do what a team needs.

I think he's had his share of being the only guy.  Jordan is not a volume scorer and will be looking to distribute more as a soph to prove he can play PG in the NBA.   Harrison is mostly a jump-shooter.  Mason is a driver and would be able to get plenty of touches.  I think all three would complement each other very  nicely.  SJU needs another scoring threat. 

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 02:31:35 AM »
Is there any chance of this happening? I don't keep up much on Draft talk, but you would think the NCAA's leading scorer would definitely go first round.

This I don't know.  He is going to sit down at the end of the season with his dad to discuss his future at Niagara.  It's a no-brainer to leave Niagara, the only question is where.  We are a high-major that will be a tournament team regardless and we are in need of offense.  Lavin let's his guys be basketball players instead of forcing them into positions.  He could prove a lot here, and what kid wouldn't want to play in their hometown at the same arena his brother and father played at?  The kid has probably been to dozens of St. John's games. 

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 06:48:50 AM »
Sounds like a great option for us to replace Sanchez.  Now, only need to see if he's interested.  We need help for next year.  I get the feeling we'll land Delarosa.  Need a real wing though.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 07:16:19 AM »
He is going to sit down at the end of the season with his dad to discuss his future at Niagara.  It's a no-brainer to leave Niagara, the only question is where. 

Kansas.

hnk

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 07:19:44 AM »
Norm Roberts

Tha Kid

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 09:05:30 AM »
Gotta wonder if father Mase would advise against coming here since we got rid of norm...sounds like its worth exploring at least...
"I drink and I know things"