Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #860 on: March 08, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »
I am hoping he coached yesterday's game without a game plan. Meaning their is a real plan and he wasn't showing it. He can't switch on every ball screen. Unlike other teams they are just as athletic just bigger then us. Big week coming . I am going Friday night. Expecting to see St. johns. Also not looking to get Embrassed. Earn you money coach. The only movie you should be watching this Sunday is providence and Villanova .
Guys beat X-men, G.Town, and Marq. in hand to wrap up a tourny bid. What did you think was gonna happen playing those guys down there and giving up 50 lb. match ups? Our guys fell apart. You wanna blame them or coach? I hope you remember they went 7-1.  I do believe outside of Nova that was as good a run by any in league play. Coach musta had  some kind of plan.
I'm sure he had a plan too and it worked, we only lost by 37 points.

Can't get on Lavin for resting hurting players. People will remember SJU making a run in the BET then beating NOVA and then losing in the first round.
Wasn't referring to his decision to rest players was referring to whatever his plan was assuming he bothered to try to formulate a plan to win the game under the given circumstances. Should have used a smiley face because whatever his plan was it resulted in a 37 point loss. Next i'll get responses on what did i want him to do. Lighten up peeps. I'll give you my plan when SJU pays me 2 million per.  :) :) :)
Wasn't directed at you Celtics just more of a general statement, but I should of made it clearer.
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #861 on: March 09, 2015, 08:09:28 AM »
I am fine with sticking up for Lavin. We lost by almost 40. Reasonable to give some criticism .

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #862 on: March 09, 2015, 09:28:14 PM »
I am fine with sticking up for Lavin. We lost by almost 40. Reasonable to give some criticism .

Lost by 40 with CO and Branch out, not going to kill him for that. The short bench thing has already been beat to death.
Cougar O' Malley

dR3w

« Reply #863 on: March 10, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »
Rumor in the Twitter world is that the staff is telling recruits the coach and staff will see them graduate ... 5 year extension ... if I understand shorthand :)

hnk

« Reply #864 on: March 10, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »
Only issue is whether some of the posters here will as well.

Wods317

« Reply #865 on: March 10, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
Rumor in the Twitter world is that the staff is telling recruits the coach and staff will see them graduate ... 5 year extension ... if I understand shorthand :)

Where did you see this?

paultzman

« Reply #866 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »

Where did you see this?
Sam Albano tweet

« Reply #867 on: March 10, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
GREETINGS.. To all friends, johhnyfans, true redmen.. ESPECIALLY Tha Kid, Maven, HTGS, WASJ,Baldi and all those who I have met and not met..

It's BE week and I regret no longer living in NY TO BE THERE to see the REDMEN compete in this tourney and on to the NCAA'S..

I haven't been posting or following this site for a while. My bad..

The other one is too mean spirited.. May have gotten worse but, hey...Some good guys there, some not so good..

Let's go Redmen...

boo3

« Reply #868 on: March 10, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »
I've gone back and forth with this for a while.   

I'm happy if he gets an extension.  It's in the best interest of the program.  The kids love him, the ones that make it to campus, graduate for the most part. 

1st class has shown vast improvement on and off the court.

Starting over after a successful season ( yes, by STJ standards, this is a success)  seems illogical ( rip Spock) at this point.   

I don't care about his salary because I don't pay it. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #869 on: March 10, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »
GREETINGS.. To all friends, johhnyfans, true redmen.. ESPECIALLY Tha Kid, Maven, HTGS, WASJ,Baldi and all those who I have met and not met..

It's BE week and I regret no longer living in NY TO BE THERE to see the REDMEN compete in this tourney and on to the NCAA'S..

The other one is too mean spirited.. May have gotten worse but, hey...Some good guys there, some not so good..

Let's go Redmen...

Good to hear from you slyfoxx...hope all is well!

Looking forward to seeing your posts as we make a run (hopefully) this year!
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #870 on: March 10, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »

Let's go Redmen...

Great to hear from you sly, it's been too long. Hope all is well! Hope to see more from ya in coming weeks

« Reply #871 on: March 10, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »
I've gone back and forth with this for a while.   

I'm happy if he gets an extension.  It's in the best interest of the program.  The kids love him, the ones that make it to campus, graduate for the most part. 

1st class has shown vast improvement on and off the court.

Starting over after a successful season ( yes, by STJ standards, this is a success)  seems illogical ( rip Spock) at this point.   

I don't care about his salary because I don't pay it.
It is the sober play.  Love the Spock pull.  Let's enjoy these tourneys to the max - all of us. 

hnk

« Reply #872 on: March 10, 2015, 12:16:56 PM »
Thanks Coach lavin, Good Luck in the Big East Tourney and March Madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuanMan

« Reply #873 on: March 10, 2015, 12:41:43 PM »
The topic of this thread should be revised! It's not even an argument anymore.

Lavin has brought success to this program that we haven't experienced since the late 90's.

He's consistently bringing in top level recruits from around the country and internationally, with a fair share of premier local talent.

He's an ambassador for the program who is constantly pitching to boosters, alumni, the press and media. When he isn't pitching he's on the road recruiting.

To think that there is even the thought of not retaining him is ludicrous. We should be pitching to him to stay, not leave him in the balance depending on this year's performance.

We're in great hands. Incrementally, this program has flourished under his leadership. The future is very bright.

Section 3
Section 116

desco80

« Reply #874 on: March 10, 2015, 01:00:04 PM »

Telling people does not make it so.
Lavin told reporters at this time last year that they were in contract negotiations on an extension, and that was not true.

« Reply #875 on: March 10, 2015, 01:05:05 PM »

Telling people does not make it so.
Lavin told reporters at this time last year that they were in contract negotiations on an extension, and that was not true.

Exactly. The extension talk is all coming from Lavins camp

hnk

« Reply #876 on: March 10, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »
Seriously, boys.  Give up.

desco80

« Reply #877 on: March 10, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
Seriously, boys.  Give up.

So let me get this straight... when there are rumors about players being discontent, alumni who want the coach out, or the administration being luke warm on the current coach .... we're supposed to ignore that.  Because, after all, it's just a rumor.

But when there are rumors coming from the coaching staff that they're getting an extension soon, well then we're supposed to "give up", because that's as good as gold.   Umm.. no.

hnk

« Reply #878 on: March 10, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »
I'm  just suggesting  you get off your high horses, I'll give you a ladder if you need one, and wake up and smell the coffee.  Coach and his staff have performed and they will be getting extensions.

You don't root for Kentucky or Duke and don't have the right to expect what you could expect if you did.  This isn't a rich institution with unlimited resources.....

desco80

« Reply #879 on: March 10, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »
I'm  just suggesting  you get off your high horses, I'll give you a ladder if you need one, and wake up and smell the coffee.  Coach and his staff have performed and they will be getting extensions.

You don't root for Kentucky or Duke and don't have the right to expect what you could expect if you did.  This isn't a rich institution with unlimited resources.....

What makes you think I expect St Johns to perform like Kentucky?     Have I ever said we should make the tournament every year?
No, I mainly complain about the volatile up and downs, and the lack of long-term growth.   There's no continuity. 

And I disagree that the coach and his staff have performed.  They had the #3 recruiting class 4 years ago, and those seniors are just now getting to their first and only NCAA appearance.
An appearance which in all likelihood will be one and done because we have no PF or backup center.
And then, following this season, we will be starting either all freshmen again, or a combination of freshmen and mediocre upperclassmen like felix and jones.