Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #880 on: March 10, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
Is Lavin in danger of taking another job?

« Reply #881 on: March 10, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »

No!  He will reject all offers because he love it at St. John's.

boo3

« Reply #882 on: March 10, 2015, 01:38:11 PM »
Desco - just in case Lavin leaves, can the board have an Orlando Antigua update? How did S Florida do this year?     ;)

« Reply #883 on: March 10, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »

No!  He will reject all offers because he love it at St. John's.

Are other schools looking to hire him?

desco80

« Reply #884 on: March 10, 2015, 01:39:29 PM »
Desco - just in case Lavin leaves, can the board have an Orlando Antigua update? How did S Florida do this year?     ;)

Fair point lol.

My main man did not exactly tear it up at USF.   But that doesn't mean he won't turn that ship around. 

desco80

« Reply #885 on: March 10, 2015, 01:39:46 PM »

That will be the next leak/rumor.   

hnk

« Reply #886 on: March 10, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »
Coach Lavin?  He quit last year.  My friend  told me so.  He's not here anymore.

goredmen

« Reply #887 on: March 10, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »
I'm  just suggesting  you get off your high horses, I'll give you a ladder if you need one, and wake up and smell the coffee.  Coach and his staff have performed and they will be getting extensions.

You don't root for Kentucky or Duke and don't have the right to expect what you could expect if you did.  This isn't a rich institution with unlimited resources.....

Neither is Villanova. Neither is VCU. Neither is Dayton. Neither is Wichita State. Neither is Northern Iowa. Neither is Butler. I could keep going

QuanMan

« Reply #888 on: March 10, 2015, 01:55:05 PM »
Also, slowly but surely Lav's reputation from UCLA of producing NBA players is continuing in Queens.

I think there's a strong chance that Dom and/or Sheed are being drafted this year.

There's also an outside shot of Sanchez being called up on the Knicks via 10 day contract over the next couple of months.

That'll mark 3 consecutive SF's and 6 players total that have had NBA experience inside of his 5 years.

I'm pretty sure that we had a stretch during the 00's where Artest was our only pro. Now that's a change in culture.
Section 3
Section 116

boo3

« Reply #889 on: March 10, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »
Sheed and or CO going pro this year isn't good for program in any way.  That's some serious spin.  Come on. 

boo3

« Reply #890 on: March 10, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »
Dom yes.   Sorry .

« Reply #891 on: March 10, 2015, 02:02:40 PM »

Fair point lol.

My main man did not exactly tear it up at USF.   But that doesn't mean he won't turn that ship around. 

In all fairness to Antigua, he walked into a difficult coaching situation.  He wasn't gonna win in year one.   I would give him some time before criticizing.

The only real criticism is that i saw him wear an open collar and no tie.   ;)

boo3

« Reply #892 on: March 10, 2015, 02:07:52 PM »
Lavin has this unorthodox system of coaching differently throughout the season.

He focuses everything on peaking in February.  We've seen it last 2 seasons .  Prior to that he goes all mad scientist which drives many nuts.   Would love to see some March wins now.

« Reply #893 on: March 10, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »

Fair point lol.

That doesn't mean he will turn it around, either.  Let's see how it plays out.

boo3

« Reply #894 on: March 10, 2015, 02:10:39 PM »
I know SR, I was half- joking.

However, if Lavin left, and recruits also, the situation here wouldn't exactly be rosy either. 

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #895 on: March 10, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »
The good news is that this program should be fun for the next month or so. Hopefully mostly for a great BET run and then Lavin's extension. There are pro and cons to letting him go and extending him. Lavin has helped create this by having a team that will need to be completely rebuilt next year.

He has a three recruits which one of them us a four star. He has more NBA players jump to the NBA since Louie(?), and an Asst Coach as well. He also had a lot of players being ruled ineligible as well...Better the. Before they play, then afterward. Harrison is a good news story, and Jordan maybe as well as it looks like he is reaching his potential. How many games have these stories cost the program and why wasn't a better support system in place to help them. Would Jordan still be on the team if this year's team wasn't so thin?

Lavin tenure is full of contradictions and there isn't a very clear picture of succes yet, except that we can consistantly make the NIT, which is sadly a great improvement. Until some official source says something one way or the other about his future, both rumors of him staying and going is completely plausible.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #896 on: March 10, 2015, 03:15:38 PM »

And I disagree that the coach and his staff have performed.  They had the #3 recruiting class 4 years ago, and those seniors are just now getting to their first and only NCAA appearance.
An appearance which in all likelihood will be one and done because we have no PF or backup center.
And then, following this season, we will be starting either all freshmen again, or a combination of freshmen and mediocre upperclassmen like felix and jones.

To be fair, the #3 recruiting class isn't the same today as it was 4 years ago.

I believe that rating included Harkless, Sampson, Pelle and Garrett all 4-star recruits.

hnk

« Reply #897 on: March 10, 2015, 03:19:18 PM »
They don't want to be fair and have no intention of doing so.

boo3

« Reply #898 on: March 10, 2015, 03:21:35 PM »
Desco-   you just assume we lose in round 1 and that both Co and Jordan don't come back and spout it as defense of your argument.     So if we win a game and then 1 or both come back, then the story changes to what? 

« Reply #899 on: March 10, 2015, 03:24:19 PM »
Desco-   you just assume we lose in round 1 and that both Co and Jordan don't come back and spout it as defense of your argument.     So if we win a game and then 1 or both come back, then the story changes to what?

That Lavs got lucky and Dunlap would have had this same team in the Elite 8.