Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

hnk

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #900 on: March 10, 2015, 03:25:56 PM »
The argument  at one point was we weren't making the tournament.

« Reply #901 on: March 10, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »
Also, slowly but surely Lav's reputation from UCLA of producing NBA players is continuing in Queens.

I think there's a strong chance that Dom and/or Sheed are being drafted this year.

There's also an outside shot of Sanchez being called up on the Knicks via 10 day contract over the next couple of months.

That'll mark 3 consecutive SF's and 6 players total that have had NBA experience inside of his 5 years.

I'm pretty sure that we had a stretch during the 00's where Artest was our only pro. Now that's a change in culture.
Recently read the Knicks have no intention of offering Sanchez a 10 day contract this season so OS left the Knicks D league team to play in Puerto Rico for financial reasons. Doesn't preclude kicks being interested next season. As for staff telling kids they will be here to see them graduate what else can they tell a recruit in order to have any chance of signing them. Recruiting is a dirty business on both sides so wouldn't blame any staff for fudging the truth if they indeed did.

« Reply #902 on: March 10, 2015, 11:53:27 PM »
Also, slowly but surely Lav's reputation from UCLA of producing NBA players is continuing in Queens.

I think there's a strong chance that Dom and/or Sheed are being drafted this year.

There's also an outside shot of Sanchez being called up on the Knicks via 10 day contract over the next couple of months.

That'll mark 3 consecutive SF's and 6 players total that have had NBA experience inside of his 5 years.

I'm pretty sure that we had a stretch during the 00's where Artest was our only pro. Now that's a change in culture.
Recently read the Knicks have no intention of offering Sanchez a 10 day contract this season so OS left the Knicks D league team to play in Puerto Rico for financial reasons. Doesn't preclude kicks being interested next season. As for staff telling kids they will be here to see them graduate what else can they tell a recruit in order to have any chance of signing them. Recruiting is a dirty business on both sides so wouldn't blame any staff for fudging the truth if they indeed did.

The Orlando stuff was basically financial on both sides. If he played in the league this year his salary for next year would be higher and they wouldn't sign him. Now that he hasn't played in the league this year he can have a rookie minimum salary next season.

Marillac

« Reply #903 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
Does anyone know who will be coaching the team in the Big East and NCAA tournament?

Also, who will be filling in for Rysheed Jordan? 

desco80

« Reply #904 on: March 11, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »
Does anyone know who will be coaching the team in the Big East and NCAA tournament?

For our sake, I hope Whitesell. 

pmg911

« Reply #905 on: March 11, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »

Also, who will be filling in for Rysheed Jordan? 

???

desco80

« Reply #906 on: March 11, 2015, 09:25:05 PM »
I disagree with this article, obviously, but it's worth sharing ..

USA Today - St Johns Fans Should Live in Present, Appreciate Lavin

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2015/03/11/st-johns-steve-lavin-fans/70167416/

Howard megdal was useful at one time, he should have stuck to reporting on the Mets finances.

TONYD3

« Reply #907 on: March 11, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »
Nothing to disagree with. He kind of stated facts. He didn't say Lavin was a great coach. Just said Lavin was doing well in a tough environment .

desco80

« Reply #908 on: March 11, 2015, 09:38:15 PM »
Nothing to disagree with. He kind of stated facts. He didn't say Lavin was a great coach. Just said Lavin was doing well in a tough environment .

But it's not a tough environment.  Norm sucked.
mahoney, Fran, and Jarvis all made the tournament and recruited an elite player or two.   Felipe, Artest, Barkley are better than any recruit Lavin has signed.
Did they have their flaws? Sure.  But 3 of the 4 post Lou coaches showed you could win and recruit here.   

The fact that Lavin hasn't capped his pants, isn't cause for celebration.  Look beyond the norm years and you'll see that winning here isn't imposSible.

This was a pure fluff piece by a guy without any sources, who wrote it from his couch by reading these message boards.

boo3

« Reply #909 on: March 11, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »

mahoney, Fran, and Jarvis all made the tournament and recruited an elite player or two.   Felipe, Artest, Barkley are better than any recruit Lavin has signed.
Did they have their flaws? Sure.  But 3 of the 4 post Lou coaches showed you could win and recruit here.   

The fact that Lavin hasn't capped his pants, isn't cause for celebration.  Look beyond the norm years and you'll see that winning here isn't imposSible.

This was a pure fluff piece by a guy without any sources, who wrote it from his couch by reading these message boards.

Doesn't it get tiring fighting this fight?    Sit back and enjoy it for what it is.   A great group of seniors finally getting their shot and act together and closing out their careers on a high note.    The quest to get Lavin fired should kind of die about now, actually about a month ago..  Pick it up again after the season..    I'm exhausted reading you in regards to Operation New Coach.

« Reply #910 on: March 11, 2015, 09:58:15 PM »
Seriously...this is our best team in 15 years.  Enjoy it while we can.   Just put it on hold for a couple of weeks...hopefully a few weeks more if the ball bounces our way.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

desco80

« Reply #911 on: March 11, 2015, 10:00:27 PM »

Doesn't it get tiring fighting this fight?    Sit back and enjoy it for what it is.   A great group of seniors finally getting their shot and act together and closing out their careers on a high note.    The quest to get Lavin fired should kind of die about now, actually about a month ago..  Pick it up again after the season..    I'm exhausted reading you in regards to Operation New Coach.

It does get tiring boo.  And you are right in at least one regard, this is a  great group of seniors, and we are in the fun position as fans to sit back now and watch what they can do in the post season.  Big East tourny and then the NCAAs.
I'm really looking forward to it.

But when hnk or clueless bloggers defend the coach in a biased manner, I'm going to refute their arguments.  I sincerely apologize if that aggravates you.  And I will try to restrain myself so the conversations aren't exhaustingly repetitive. 

« Reply #912 on: March 11, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2015/03/11/st-johns-steve-lavin-fans/70167416/

Howard megdal was useful at one time, he should have stuck to reporting on the Mets finances.

What, exactly, do you diagree with?  Anything factual, or just the optimistic tone of the article?

« Reply #913 on: March 11, 2015, 10:08:23 PM »

It does get tiring boo.  And you are right in at least one regard, this is a  great group of seniors, and we are in the fun position as fans to sit back now and watch what they can do in the post season.  Big East tourny and then the NCAAs.

But when hnk or clueless bloggers defend the coach in a biased manner, I'm going to refute their arguments.  I sincerely apologize if that aggravates you.  And I will try to restrain myself so the conversations aren't exhaustingly repetitive. 

You posted the article and attacked it in the same post.  You weren't refuting any biased defense of Lavin in this thread.  You just find the need to attack him at every opportunity.  At this point, it comes across as totally irrational.

boo3

« Reply #914 on: March 11, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »
Aggravating is too strong.. Not aggravated.    Those dudes are just trolling you.  I bet if you ignored it they would have moved on...  maybe? ;)   

listen, I was on board ( with moving on) after the way the season was looking...   Coaching CBB is a very fluid thing as we have seen the last couple of Lavin led seasons...   Doomsday to a great run and back again. 

Now I'm in favor of extending him... Hoping maybe he's learned some lessons re: recruiting etc...  Based on some of the lower ranked commitments, I think he has.  The All or None philosophy with the 4/5 star kids hurt us depth wise this season and likely will cost us from going farther than we should.

I don't have anything against you or your opinion.. Totally respect it.  You don't have to defend it at all costs though.     We should be figuring out where everyone is sitting for the game tomorrow instead of coaching dilemnas and why Iona is going to the NIT.

PS-  Pissed I'm not going tomorrow as my wife is in Chicago for business and I can't get someone to watch my kids. 

desco80

« Reply #915 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:44 PM »

What, exactly, do you diagree with?  Anything factual, or just the optimistic tone of the article?

I disagree with his expressed theory that SJU fans are living in 1985, and I also disagree with his implication that fans have unrealistic expectations.

I also don't think his line that many others have failed since lou is accurate.

And his complaint that Lavin has tougher circumstances because sju doesn't spend as much on athletics relative to other schools is misleading.
sure, Florida spends 10x more now than it did in the 80s. 
But most sju fans don't compare our program to those types of programs.
we think of villanova, georgetown, gonzga, Xavier as our closer contemporaries. 
And so, no, relative to Nova and Georgetown, we're spending fairly equitably on athletics.

But this is my last comment on the matter, or the coach for that matter.
I'll just say this, as surprising as this may be, humans are a complex species.  We are capable of multiple emotions at the same instance, and certainly even more over the course of a week or month.
I love these seniors and am quite excited about our chances these next few weekS.  I also think in the long run we would be better with a different coach.   
I'm capable of multiple emotions, so stop telling me how to feel about this or that.
(Not directed at you SR)

hnk

« Reply #916 on: March 11, 2015, 10:13:20 PM »
Thanks for trying to bait me.  I appreciate the attention, but I am not going to rise to it or engage with you.......

hnk

« Reply #917 on: March 11, 2015, 10:16:52 PM »
Did anyone notice we blew out Georgetown the last time we played them (after they beat us handily) and beat Xavier twice this season.
Or am i just biased.

« Reply #918 on: March 11, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »

I think hnk now does it because he knows it'll grate your nerves and will get you to respond.  I guess you can say he's trolling you.

By the way, how many Lopez's, Artest's, and Barkley's have come through NYC since Lavin has been the coach?  He has been able to get the best out of NYC since he's been the coach (ie, Harkless and Obekpa). 

NYC isn't producing nearly the same type of player's they did during that time.  Heck!  In a two-year period, you had Brand, Artest, Odom, Barkley, Jessie, and Glover.  That's 4 top 10 recruit's alone in Brand, Artest, Odom, and Barkley, while Jessie was top 50, and Glover was top 25-30 by most publications.  I have a hunch Lavin would get his share, if the pickings were in abundance.  Then again, that was a different time, and college hoops have changed since those players were in college.

St. John's usually made their living off of NYC players, and Fraschilla came along during the time when the city was still a hotbed for talent and the landscape of college hoops wasn't like it is now.  So, Lavin is relegated to getting those kinda recruits in other parts of the country. 

Just sit back and enjoy, and you'll possibly have next season to do your rippin'.

TONYD3

« Reply #919 on: March 11, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
The next couple games are huge for Lavin. Tough to judge a coach on a few games . But that's where we are at.  In year 5 we should be better then providence.