NCAA Tournament thread

• 731 replies
Re: NCAA Tournament thread
« Reply #540 on: March 20, 2015, 11:56:10 PM »
Kids played hard. Tough to win when your center is 6'6. It's  on the coach. Have to have more than one big that can actually play.

« Reply #541 on: March 20, 2015, 11:56:47 PM »
Played their hearts out from beginning to end. Hands were tied with no bigs and no bench
Yep. Intensity level was there the whole game. SDS put together a nice overall game. Hard to match - we needed to bring the A game 3 pt shooting, but they brought it. Pollee had a beautiful offensive game tonight

« Reply #542 on: March 20, 2015, 11:57:38 PM »
Fire Lavin

You are a disgrace of a fan. 

You like lavin? Enabler

I do like Lavin. I also don't say fire the coach while we're giving 100% in the middle of a tournament game.

If you like lavin you're just dead wrong...and you accept being barely mediocre
zip it - you're out of line bringing it up now. If we were in a bar together, you'd be on your ass right now

What a meathead...oooh tough guy online

All of your posts are negative. Look in the mirror buddy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:57:59 PM by redstorm212 »

Dan

« Reply #543 on: March 20, 2015, 11:57:56 PM »
They definitely played hard but its nice personic to pick times when it's okay to say what. Lavin is inept. But the players went hard

Pete88

« Reply #544 on: March 20, 2015, 11:59:39 PM »
Played their hearts out from beginning to end. Hands were tied with no bigs and no bench
Yep. Intensity level was there the whole game. SDS put together a nice overall game. Hard to match - we needed to bring the A game 3 pt shooting, but they brought it. Pollee had a beautiful offensive game tonight

Those early 3's killed us.  Game takes on a different feel if we take lead.  2 bank 3's wtf... and then the sub comes in and drills another 3 three's.  Last thing we needed was to be chasing

Dan

« Reply #545 on: March 20, 2015, 11:59:58 PM »
Fire Lavin

You are a disgrace of a fan. 

You like lavin? Enabler

I do like Lavin. I also don't say fire the coach while we're giving 100% in the middle of a tournament game.

If you like lavin you're just dead wrong...and you accept being barely mediocre
zip it - you're out of line bringing it up now. If we were in a bar together, you'd be on your ass right now

What a meathead...oooh tough guy online

All of your posts are negative. Look in the mirror buddy.

...are we in another dimension? Outside of the players giving it a good effort what is there to be positive about? With his own players one NCAA tournament appearance with a loss with a team of seniors

Chilleb

« Reply #546 on: March 21, 2015, 12:06:43 AM »
Love these kids, was a pleasure to cheer for these guys for 4 years, thanks for the memories

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #547 on: March 21, 2015, 12:13:01 AM »
Love these kids, was a pleasure to cheer for these guys for 4 years, thanks for the memories

Frustrating loss, but they gave it there all and SDSU would have been tough to beat with CO...Lavin maybe have been right about them, they have were really good offensively.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #548 on: March 21, 2015, 12:14:03 AM »
Been following for 63 years since freshmen year of high school. There will be a new bunch that you'll  become fond of them

« Reply #549 on: March 21, 2015, 12:15:49 AM »
First off, thank you Seniors.  Been a pleasure to watch you grow and play the last 4 years.  Some of my favorite all time Johnnies.

Now to our fearless leader.  I get that Jordan's two early fouls changes how the first half gets played.  They were shooting lots of 3's and making some (a few flukey) - we wanted them to chuck up 3's so fine.  7 point deficit at halftime, without Jordan and without us hitting 3's.  Not insurmountable by any stretch. 

But the second half.  If you are going to play extra small, why a 2-3 zone?  Why aren't we pressing and trying to speed up tempo and cause turnovers?  And when it becomes apparent that Jamal needs a blow/isn't making an impact and  Phil is having an off-game, why not throw a big body in there to prevent all of the easy paint shots, putbacks and offensive boards?  No adjustments whatsoever.  Compare that with Fisher - who the second we cut the lead to six or eight with a steal and the press started giving them trouble, he calls a timeout and gets some other ball handlers in the game.  Just like in the first half he puts the white guy in to make a few treys.  I thought Lavin got severely outcoached.

« Reply #550 on: March 21, 2015, 12:27:34 AM »
Been following for 63 years since freshmen year of high school. There will be a new bunch that you'll  become fond of them
You are the man.

Did you like the North Florida coach's quotable? => "Ballers Make Plays...Dudes are Dudes"

« Reply #551 on: March 21, 2015, 10:59:29 AM »
- We desperately needed our first round opponent to be Texas A & M as Duane "Polee vault" Polee hits 3 threes in the 1st 4 minutes including two "the bank is open" if it wasn't for bad luck we'ld have no luck at all jobs.  Was averaging 25% from three on the season.  While we're on the subject of threes, a reserve that was averaging 5 pts a game went 4 of 5 from three.

- Savior had two fouls in the first minute and a half than sat the rest of the stanza.  But as I've learned from this board,  fouling frequently is a sure indicator of playing good defense.  So Rysheed was really ballin.

- Sir with Love had a sensational first half with several incredible full court end to end rushes for scores.  Weaving in and out of traffic jams like a veteran Nyc cabbie miraculously without losing the handle and finishing adeptly at the end.  Like a Sean Evans wet dream.  Fell and hurt his hip at some point and was never the same.

- St. John reserves totaled 0 pts, 1 rbd, 0 assts., 0 steals and 0 blocks.
  SDS reserves tallied 24 pts, 17rbds, 4 assists, and 1 block.

I'm no expert, but this might have been a factor.

- Obluntpa and a society that penalizes individuals for an offense that in many circles ( no pun intended ) is no more egregious than drinking a beer screwed us.

- Did they have length and athletes or what?  Looked like we were giving 6 inches at every position. Could easily have predicted this one from watching the layup line.

- That "Thank you seniors" thread is classy.  Way to go fellas!

- Safe travels home to all the proud and loyal that went!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:11:13 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #552 on: March 21, 2015, 11:39:18 AM »
Congratulations to Phil Greene IV!  He finishes his career tied with Mel Utley at 29th on the St. John's University all-time scoring list.  Mr. Utley hailed from Far Rockaway and averaged 17.6 pts. per game in the 74/74 season.

« Reply #553 on: March 21, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
I was very proud of the fans that traveled to the game.

But let me tell you, sleeping on it did not help. Still devastated.

redslope

« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »
I was very proud of the fans that traveled to the game.

But let me tell you, sleeping on it did not help. Still devastated.
While I watched from home I needed a few drinks to calm down when it ended--did you have an "Irish" wake after the game down there???

« Reply #555 on: March 21, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »
Anyone watching Cincy-UK? Cincy playing them real tough. And this guy DeBerry for Cincy who averaged 4 points and 2 boards this season is giving them fits.

« Reply #556 on: March 21, 2015, 03:42:27 PM »
Cincy is lucky half is coming.

My brother played with Dakari Johnsons father at St Francis Brooklyn. His dad was a monster too

« Reply #557 on: March 21, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
I haven't watched a ton of Kentucky games this year. And I know Cincy isn't great. But seems like UK might not have faced as tough a team like them this year. Clearly getting frustrated.

« Reply #558 on: March 21, 2015, 04:24:09 PM »
Octavius Ellis is in their heads.

« Reply #559 on: March 21, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
Villanova is in big trouble.