Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies

crgreen

Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »
norvel just posted on twitter  " false info leads to false reports " 14 min ago.    hopefully he'll suit up for us this year

4:00 AM local time?

Didn't Pelle come to the the east coast for IS8?  Imagine he's still here - summer vacationa and all.   If so, why WOULD he come cross country to play ball with his future SJU teammates, if he was planning on going prep next year?   No offense to New York, but there IS pretty fair summer ball in the LA area he could have played without the expense of an east coast trip.

« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
CR, I don't believe he ended up making the trip to IS8.

Dan

« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
Why would Pelle go out of his way to deny this?  Nieves probably has a bad source here.

« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »
Why would Pelle go out of his way to deny this?  Nieves probably has a bad source here.

I'm leaning towards your analogy.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
It should be pointed out that according to Nieves (and I think I'd seen this independently), Polee and Pelle are good friends. For what it's worth.

Moose

« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2011, 04:32:39 PM »
It should be pointed out that according to Nieves (and I think I'd seen this independently), Polee and Pelle are good friends. For what it's worth.

Ok but where can Pelle go?  He signed an LOI. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »

True. But he COULD, theoretically, go prep or JUCO (or transfer after a year). Can't force a kid to make it to school. Not at all saying that could happen.

Moose

« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2011, 05:02:19 PM »

True. But he COULD, theoretically, go prep or JUCO (or transfer after a year). Can't force a kid to make it to school. Not at all saying that could happen.

Yeah but I just can't see him being upset over Polee leaving.  At least so much so that he doesn't qualify as a result.  I know you werent implying that.  But either he has the grades or he doesnt.  He claims he does.

MCNPA

« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »
IMO, Pelle is a mega-important recruit for us.  This kid screams potential, and we have the right staff to get this kid where he's draftable as a lottery pick in a few years.  There aren't a lot of centers out there with the size and athleticism Pelle has.  I really hope he makes it to campus this fall.  His shotblocking alone is worth it's weight.  He'll have the chance to come along slowly with GG here and develop better offensive footwork and a back-to-basket game.  THis kid at 6'10" moves like a guard on the fast break. If this staff can get him moving at full speed, he's going to be extremely dangerous.

« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
If he was upset then why would he come out and say that 'false info leads to false reports'...and why would he be in contact with so many of his fellow recruits on twitter if he was upset...wouldn't he just not say anything?

Pelle seems to really relish the opportunity to get away to NY on the big stage at MSG and play in this system in the Big East...All other speculation is pretty irresponsible and reckless IMO

Gumby

« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
Gee when was a "reporter" incorrect on a St. John's recruit?  Perhaps it was a week ago when it was reported that we had landed Momo.  With today's instant messaging often fact is sacrificed for speed.  Hopefully, this is the case with Norvel.  We need him.

While the involved "reporter" may have a good track record two things lead me to believe that Norvel will be with us for the 2011-2012 season.

The first is Norvel's own words.

The second is the timing.  It is at the end of the school year.  If some one was going to go the prep route the alarm signals would have gone off much earlier than this.

As an educator I have worked with both high school and college athletes looking to achieve certain grades to either graduate or stay on a team.  It generally never comes down to the last second of a school year. 

Norvel is a high profile athlete, so I am sure he, his school, and Coach Lavin have been keeping close tabs on Norvel's academic progress.  In Coach Lavin's case, if he thought his prime big man would have troubles making the "grade", he would have gone to Plan B much earlier.

Right now all we have is conjecture and a few words from Norvel.

I believe the worst case scenario, from my experience, would be Norvel taking a Summer course or two either in CA or at St. John's. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:49:15 PM by Gumby »

Marillac

« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »
Can't afford to lose this kid.  He is by far the one kid we can't do without....God it would be ugly next year (pun intended) up front.

« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »

Yeah but I just can't see him being upset over Polee leaving.  At least so much so that he doesn't qualify as a result.  I know you werent implying that.  But either he has the grades or he doesnt.  He claims he does.

I'm in the camp that believes Norvel's tweet but nowhere did Nieves say the prepping was due to grades.  That was an assumption made on this board only.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »

I'm in the camp that believes Norvel's tweet but nowhere did Nieves say the prepping was due to grades.  That was an assumption made on this board only.
It's about academics. (as much as it's about anything)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:58:35 PM by peter »

Moose

« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »

Usually kids only prep to gain strength, experience, increase their rankings or grades.  A kid as highly ranked as him would only prep for grades I think.  I think it was mentioned earlier this year he missed some games because of grades.

« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »
i think if he was prepping next year it wouldve came out by now

« Reply #216 on: May 31, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
Anxiously waiting for Dave to give the "this is a non-issue" post like he did with Harkless!

« Reply #217 on: May 31, 2011, 11:00:01 AM »
Anxiously waiting for Dave to give the "this is a non-issue" post like he did with Harkless!

Non issue

http://johnnyjungle.com/news/latest-on-rumors-of-st-johns-norvel-pelle-being-ineligible/
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »

Non issue

http://johnnyjungle.com/news/latest-on-rumors-of-st-johns-norvel-pelle-being-ineligible/

In addition, Pelle tweeted that he's in class today, so certainly nothing in the way of bad news.  I believe Pelle will likely be eligible. 

MCNPA

« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
Just to add about Pelle.   I was watching a lot of his video clips.  It is mentioned that his defense is ahead of his offense, but one thing that stands our to me is his ability to finish on offense with both hands.  He's got a great ability to both finish on offense with the proper hand as well as when on defense.  Pelle's limitations are primarily with regards to footwork, coaching and effort.  Most "raw" players and especially centers, only go one direction with one hand.  If Dunlap works with this kid and gets him to focus, I think he can become an offensive killer in the post as well.  He has great hands as well.  He has the tools to dominate there if he learns the game better and takes it seriously.