Sir'Dom 22 points away from 1,000 points

• 61 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Sir'Dom 22 points away from 1,000 points
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »
Dom is the second best player on his own team.  Don't see how he can win BE player of the year.

Dom is the best player on his own team.  And it's not close.  It may be due to injury, but the way Dom is playing now, he is better than Harrison even when healthy.  But it'd be close if Dee was healthy - he's not completely healthy, and thus its not close.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:43:06 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »
Dom is the second best player on his own team.  Don't see how he can win BE player of the year.

Dom is the best player on his own team.  And it's not close.  It may be due to injury, but the way Dom is playing now, he is better than Harrison even when healthy.  But it'd be close if Dee was healthy - he's not completely healthy, and thus its not close.

I don't think it's fair to say it's not close. I agree he's the best, but Harrison is a first team All BE, too.

Tha Kid

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 11:51:56 AM »

I don't think it's fair to say it's not close. I agree he's the best, but Harrison is a first team All BE, too.

I'm not arguing that Harrison does not deserve first team all BE for the body of work.  But who has been the best player for St Johns during the BE season.  I again think it is not close due to Harrison's injury.   I feel we did our best work in the second half of this weekend's game with Harrison on the bench actually.  If he was healthy, totally different story.  Harrison is not currently playing like a 1st team all BE-er...but deserves it for the body of work.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
I think we will probably only get one guy, and it will be Dom.  Harrison will probably make 2nd team.

Likely team - Dunn and Hilliard (either one POY), Dunham, Pointer, Smith-Rivera and probably Henton (odd that Providence would have two over Nova and others, but Providence is very much a two-man team whereas Nova has so many really good players).

Will say this - if we someone can win the next 3 and both Harrison and Pointer go nuts, I could see that changing.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 01:45:23 PM »
One more thing about how great Dom is playing

He's averaging 2.9 assists per game and only 1.9 turnovers per.

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
If we can steal Gtown or Nova game and beat Marquette, I think Dom wins BE POY

jr49

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
Why must we steal the G.Town game. It's at home. Our shots go in and there's do not. Seems right to me.

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 03:45:10 PM »
Why must we steal the G.Town game. It's at home. Our shots go in and there's do not. Seems right to me.

They are better than us would be the first reason.

jr49

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
Maybe he was that good. It was a long time ago. Don't remember Artest being this as dominant as Dom was today.
Tony, Ron was a lock first rounder after 2 seasons. He was a good teammate and knew how to play the right way from the time he too the court. The afternoon they played Duke at the garden he had to guard the big guy from Peekskill. He kept the guy in check giving away a ton. They were friends and I remember Ron jazzing him plenty. That kid also went to the league after 2 years and averaged 15&12 for a number of years. Not remembering his name my bad.

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 03:48:16 PM »
Elton Brand

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 03:59:10 PM »
Ty Grant missed that game. He was playing great before he broke his hand and was never really the same. We win Ohio State game in Elite 8 with totally healthy Grant. I think he was playing with a cast or a ridiculously big wrap on it for rest of that year after he came back. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
Maybe he was that good. It was a long time ago. Don't remember Artest being this as dominant as Dom was today.
Tony, Ron was a lock first rounder after 2 seasons. He was a good teammate and knew how to play the right way from the time he too the court. The afternoon they played Duke at the garden he had to guard the big guy from Peekskill. He kept the guy in check giving away a ton. They were friends and I remember Ron jazzing him plenty. That kid also went to the league after 2 years and averaged 15&12 for a number of years. Not remembering his name my bad.

If by 15/12 you mean he had 8 seasons plus of 20/10, you'd be right.  He was also national player of the year in college...

Poison

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 05:25:53 PM »
I think we will probably only get one guy, and it will be Dom.  Harrison will probably make 2nd team.

Likely team - Dunn and Hilliard (either one POY), Dunham, Pointer, Smith-Rivera and probably Henton (odd that Providence would have two over Nova and others, but Providence is very much a two-man team whereas Nova has so many really good players).

Will say this - if we someone can win the next 3 and both Harrison and Pointer go nuts, I could see that changing.

Harrison is a 1st team all BE player.

LoganK

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »
Dom has been our best player in BE play, and I don't know that it's that close.  Now if D'lo had stayed healthy, obviously things would be different.  But he didn't, and they're not.  He even said he's basically playing on one leg (according to the announcers last night).  That leaves Dom as the best player we have.

Yes, Dom has been great in BE play.  Specially lately.  But 3'lo was pre-season first team, the ever rare 2000 point scorer, 3rd scorer all-time and if you compare their numbers on the season, Harrison still looks good. The coaches will see Mullin...Sealy...Harrison and act accordingly.  I would be surprised if Dom's leap frogged him to take his spot on the 1st team and/or to be P of the Y.
So, because he was expected have the better season before the season started, he is more deserving now?  That's why they play the games.  Again, if D'lo doesn't get hurt, we're probably not having this conversation.  But he did, so we are.  Dom has been better than Harrison in BE play this year.  I hope that D'lo goes off over the next three games.  No offense to Dom (probably my favorite player on the team), but I'd rather Harrison make 1st team over him just for all that he's done for us since he got here.  If it wasn't for Harrison, we're barely competitive the last three years.  But this year, Dom has been better.

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »

Jr is right. KenPom has us winning by 1. I'd bet the line will be very similar to X but no worse than pick em. Most likely outcome, by a hair, is SJU over Gtown. Objectively, a win would not be a "steal"

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »

Jr is right. KenPom has us winning by 1. I'd bet the line will be very similar to X but no worse than pick em. Most likely outcome, by a hair, is SJU over Gtown. Objectively, a win would not be a "steal"

I predict they are favored by 5

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 08:21:12 PM »

I predict they are favored by 5

I know you can't or shouldn't judge too much from one game, but I just don't like the matchup. Every team is bigger than us, but we are more athletic and quicker than most teams. Gtown is also athletic and they have guys who can shoot.

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 09:14:45 PM »
Dom has been our best player in BE play, and I don't know that it's that close.  Now if D'lo had stayed healthy, obviously things would be different.  But he didn't, and they're not.  He even said he's basically playing on one leg (according to the announcers last night).  That leaves Dom as the best player we have.

Yes, Dom has been great in BE play.  Specially lately.  But 3'lo was pre-season first team, the ever rare 2000 point scorer, 3rd scorer all-time and if you compare their numbers on the season, Harrison still looks good. The coaches will see Mullin...Sealy...Harrison and act accordingly.  I would be surprised if Dom's leap frogged him to take his spot on the 1st team and/or to be P of the Y.
So, because he was expected have the better season before the season started, he is more deserving now?   

No, but I think it's a factor.

Do you think conference games get weighted more than non-conference in selecting BE P of the Y?

LoganK

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:23 PM »

So, because he was expected have the better season before the season started, he is more deserving now?   

No, but I think it's a factor.

Do you think conference games get weighted more than non-conference in selecting BE P of the Y?
I believe it's only based on conference games, but I'm not sure about that

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »
Per Zags:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/villanovas-darrun-hilliard-the-favorite-for-big-east-player-of-the-year/

NEW YORK — With only a handful of games left in the regular season, Villanova senior guard Darrun Hilliard appears to be a virtual lock for Big East Player of the Year honors.

In an informal poll of Big East head coaches, more than half told SNY.tv that the 6-foot-6 guard would get their vote. Providence’s Kris Dunn, Providence’s LaDontae Henton and Villanova’s Ryan Arcidiacono each garnered at least one vote. (Villanova coach Jay Wright cannot vote for his own player.)

Whatever.