Timeouts after made baskets...

• 25 replies

Poison

Re: Timeouts after made baskets...
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 01:03:18 AM »
If you saw our bench production tonight, and for most of the BE season, you know it's probably less than any other team in the conference. I know we have seniors, and I know these guys are in great shape, but this is the BE, and Lavin has to get our starters a break somehow. He's using TOs to do it. It's unconventional, but it turned out in our favor tonight because we had enough left for one final defensive stop, and that was the game.

I agree with the board that a TO after a made basket allows the other team to change their strategy and it stops our momentum. That said, I understand that a light roster and a very short bench have inspired Lavin to do this often in the second half of games. It's burned us at times. (Creighton in Omaha awful coaching)

I will also add that Mack and Willard both called TOs after made baskets in the second half the game.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:18:34 AM by Poison »

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 01:08:56 AM »
I think he was trying to preserve D'lo & Obekpa (both w/ 4 fouls) by avoiding over-aggressiveness on the D when the crowd got into it.

It did kill our momentum and allow Xavier to setup successful plays on three different occasions though.

Fair point.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 01:16:21 AM »
Hate them.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 01:17:57 AM »
Coach knows his players best. He knows when they need a break or be calmed down   Also, We are transition team .. By calling time out when we are in transition he would undermine our strength. I admire a coach who is not afraid to be creative and risk being second guessed. Besides if it was so nuts Keady would say - hey Seve.....

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 01:28:09 AM »
I completely understand they could be a good tool every now and then, but I'd wager that no coach in the country does it more than Lavin, possibly ever

There seems to be multiple times during games where we have all the momentum in the world and the timeout ruins it.

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 02:04:59 AM »
Usually I don't mind them, like said in this thread tons of other coaches do it. But I thought tonight was bizarre. Never seen him do it three times like that.