NCAA Tournament thread

• 731 replies
Re: NCAA Tournament thread
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
Maybe the last 4 in should be saved for mid-major teams that blow it in their conference tournament.

That's what the play in games should be. Not Miami vs Texas etc

I'll give you that. If a team wins the regular season but losses in their tournament then fine. Otherwise Miami vs. Texas etc.

« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »
Maybe the last 4 in should be saved for mid-major teams that blow it in their conference tournament.

I agree there, Baldi.

Tha Kid

« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »

I agree there, Baldi.

THAT is an interesting idea.  I'm not sure if every year you'd have 4 conf. champs who blew it and deserve a shot, so I'd make it 2 conf. champs who blew it, and the 2 last at large teams.  And I'd have an at large face a conf. champ in each.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »

I agree there, Baldi.

THAT is an interesting idea.  I'm not sure if every year you'd have 4 conf. champs who blew it and deserve a shot, so I'd make it 2 conf. champs who blew it, and the 2 last at large teams.  And I'd have an at large face a conf. champ in each.

100%

TONYD3

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
Why is Miami or Xavier killing Iona better then Miami playing a competive game vs Xavier ?
Not hard to make the tournament. Good teams rarely get left out. If iona is better then Miami they should go. If Miami is better they should go.

« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
I want no part of BYU. A Baldi sleeper

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »

Lunarid has us 8 seed vs Dayton in Charlotte in the Virginia bracket. Like I said a week ago, no doubt they put us in Virginia bracket

TONYD3

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »
Why no doubt Virginia ? Would rather be there then Kentucky . Want to get off 8 line.

« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2015, 12:56:08 PM »
Why no doubt Virginia ? Would rather be there then Kentucky . Want to get off 8 line.

Palm has us as a 6 seed.  Win tomorrow, and we'll be off that 8 line, IMO.

Marillac

« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2015, 01:19:20 PM »

Lunarid has us 8 seed vs Dayton in Charlotte in the Virginia bracket. Like I said a week ago, no doubt they put us in Virginia bracket

Why are you so certain we'll be in Virginia?

« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »

I believe he's saying, we'll be in Charlotte as the 8th seed, and a win would likely draw Virginia.  But there isn't any certainty that'll happen, as you and Tony alluded.

« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »

I think they keep us in Charlotte. We already played Duke and Villanova, I think the committee wants to avoid 2nd round rematches

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »

I think they keep us in Charlotte. We already played Duke and Villanova, I think the committee wants to avoid 2nd round rematches

That is only, if we're an 8 or 9 seed.  But there isn't any certainty that we're gonna be an 8 or 9 seed.

« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2015, 01:37:05 PM »

That is only, if we're an 8 or 9 seed.  But there isn't any certainty that we're gonna be an 8 or 9 seed.

Lose tomorrow and we might be a 10

« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »

Lose tomorrow and we might be a 10

Doubt it.

Marillac

« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2015, 02:51:42 PM »

Yeah, I think we'll end up being a five or a six and a rematch with D

I haven't heard that before about the committee wanting to avoid rematches with non-conference teams--only conference teams. 

In any event, that is only if we are an eight or nine.  A win tomorrow puts us as a seven or better.

It seems to me that we we always get shipped out west.

LoganK

« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »
http://www.ncaa.com/content/di-principles-and-procedures-selection

*Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.
*Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.
*Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.
*Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the third round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.
*Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large teams selected to the field to participate in the First Four.
*To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the second
round.
*Teams will remain in or as close to their areas of natural interest as possible.
*A team will not be permitted to play in any facility in which it has played more than three games during its season, not including exhibitions and conference post-season tournaments.
*A team may be moved up or down one (or in extraordinary circumstances) two lines from its true seed line (e.g., from the 13 seed line to the 12 seed line; or from a 12 seed line to a 13 seed line) when it is placed in the bracket if necessary to meet the principles.
*If possible, rematches of non-conference regular-season games should be avoided in the First Four and second round.
*If possible, after examining the previous two years’ brackets, teams or conferences will not be moved out of its natural region or geographic area an inordinate number of times.
*If possible, rematches from the previous two tournaments should be avoided in the second round.

Tha Kid

« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »
Thanks Logan.  This confirms that we could play DUKE or Gonzaga in the Round of 32.  We could not play Nova until the regional semis (or if we play on Friday, the regional finals).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:22:15 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

hnk

« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2015, 06:53:49 PM »
If Big east gets six teams in...they'll probably have to be some exceptions.

« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2015, 08:10:45 AM »
http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

7 seed vs Colorado St in today's update. 

I think a win today and we will avoid the dreaded 8/9 game.