NCAA Tournament thread

• 731 replies

LoganK

Re: NCAA Tournament thread
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2015, 07:26:11 PM »
Laundry (I love auto-correct: Lunardi) moved Wisc to a 1.  Fine.  But he drops...Virginia???  I had Virginia as the 2nd overall team.  I can see them dropping to 3rd, but I still think they have the 2nd best profile.  Three losses, but all to top 20 teams.  Nova lost to SHU, Wisky lost to Rutgers, Duke lost to Miami and NC State.  All three have great quality wins.  I just don't see Virginia getting a 2.

I think the committee takes the fact that the Wiscy loss to Rutgers was without Kaminsky
I'm fine with Wisc moving up, I was more thinking that Duke should be the team dropped a seed line, rather than Virginia.

LoganK

« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2015, 07:30:37 PM »
Laundry (I love auto-correct: Lunardi) moved Wisc to a 1.  Fine.  But he drops...Virginia???  I had Virginia as the 2nd overall team.  I can see them dropping to 3rd, but I still think they have the 2nd best profile.  Three losses, but all to top 20 teams.  Nova lost to SHU, Wisky lost to Rutgers, Duke lost to Miami and NC State.  All three have great quality wins.  I just don't see Virginia getting a 2.

UVA has lost 2 of its last 3 and lost its only match up to Duke, right?  Duke hasn't lost to anyone besides notre dame in 2 months.  How you end has to matter a little in seeding...
I think head to head is supposed to be irrelevant.  I just don't think losing to Duke, Louisville, and UNC is as bad as losing to ND, ND, NC State, and Miami.  Another debate to be answered tomorrow night I guess.

« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
UConn is gonna steal someone's bid.

« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2015, 07:46:11 PM »

UVA has lost 2 of its last 3 and lost its only match up to Duke, right?  Duke hasn't lost to anyone besides notre dame in 2 months.  How you end has to matter a little in seeding...
I think head to head is supposed to be irrelevant.  I just don't think losing to Duke, Louisville, and UNC is as bad as losing to ND, ND, NC State, and Miami.  Another debate to be answered tomorrow night I guess.
UVa should be a 1 seed over Duke, no doubts in my mind

Tha Kid

« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2015, 07:47:11 PM »

I think it's a toss up really.  Duke has better RPI.  Duke has two top 10 wins (at Wisconsin and v virginia) where UVA has just at Maryland. We'll see. 
"I drink and I know things"

TONYD3

« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »
Playing and beating UCONN would save the season. Would love to play them in 7/10 game.

« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2015, 10:41:38 PM »
Playing and beating UCONN would save the season. Would love to play them in 7/10 game.

They'd be an 11 or 12 I would think.

Wods317

« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »
Think we end up an 8. Very excited to see who we get to play tomorrow. Please don't put us in with Kentucky, that's all I ask.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2015, 11:29:34 PM »
ND winning the ACC tournament shows that the BE is that much better!

I have a UNC buddy who is disgruntled over the loss and we produce a new word and that is F**ckery. The definition is a f**ckery produces teams like  Dook and wanna be irish like ND...The only real Irish are the fighten 69th Irish Brigade from NY!

In honor of St. Patrick's day...

Not sure if this was funnier between me and my buddy or it is funny in general. So feel free to rip of it's the latter.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2015, 11:38:25 PM »
Think we end up an 8. Very excited to see who we get to play tomorrow. Please don't put us in with Kentucky, that's all I ask.

That's pretty ballsy to be worrying about a possible second round match up.  You do know we're fans of the St. John's Red Storm, right?

Tha Kid

« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2015, 10:25:52 AM »
Logan how can lunardi have ND and Iowa State 3s but Kansas a 2? Gotta think one of them takes Kansas spot on 2 line right?

TONYD3

« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »
We are now a 9 and Providnince a 6? Cant believe they are that far ahead of us.

LoganK

« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2015, 10:47:43 AM »
Logan how can lunardi have ND and Iowa State 3s but Kansas a 2? Gotta think one of them takes Kansas spot on 2 line right?
Last night I had Kansas as my last 2 and Iowa State and ND as my first 3s.  This morning I developed a new "points" system, awarding 1.25 for a top 25 win, 1 for a top 50, .5 for top 100, .25 for top150, .1 for sub150.  A top 25 loss is -.1, top 50 -.25, top 100 -.5, top 150 -1, sub 150 -1.25, sub 250 -1.5.  With this system, Kansas would be a 1 (I switched them with Duke tho), Iowa State a 2, and Notre Dame a 3.  This system also dropped Gonzaga to a 3.  My current 2s are Virginia, Kansas, Arizona, and Iowa State.  So, basically, Gonzaga is the one who I have getting screwed by Iowa State (actually works out for them geographically though, so it's not all bad).

Tha Kid

« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »
Last night I had Kansas as my last 2 and Iowa State and ND as my first 3s.  This morning I developed a new "points" system, awarding 1.25 for a top 25 win, 1 for a top 50, .5 for top 100, .25 for top150, .1 for sub150.  A top 25 loss is -.1, top 50 -.25, top 100 -.5, top 150 -1, sub 150 -1.25, sub 250 -1.5.  With this system, Kansas would be a 1 (I switched them with Duke tho), Iowa State a 2, and Notre Dame a 3.  This system also dropped Gonzaga to a 3.  My current 2s are Virginia, Kansas, Arizona, and Iowa State.  So, basically, Gonzaga is the one who I have getting screwed by Iowa State (actually works out for them geographically though, so it's not all bad).

Interesting.  Wonder if you added extra bonus for 1) winning reg season title, 2) winning conf tourney, 3) top 10 wins, 4) extra poitns for top 50 road wins, how that would change things.  LOL but dont worry not expecting you to do that now!!

« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

RPI is at 44 according to this site which is the NCAA. Imo that will put us at 11 or 12 seed.  would not be surprised to get play in

LoganK

« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »

Interesting.  Wonder if you added extra bonus for 1) winning reg season title, 2) winning conf tourney, 3) top 10 wins, 4) extra poitns for top 50 road wins, how that would change things.  LOL but dont worry not expecting you to do that now!!
No more numbers!!! I'm already way over-thinking this, lol.  I'm basically gonna combine last night's S-Curve with this new system and see what happens, and that will probably be my final bracket.  Today's games should only move teams a seed line one way or another (mostly up, none of them will be harmful losses).
Notes on new system:  Has UConn in even with a loss, Texas shot up to a 7 (though I switched them with 8 seed SJU for geography reasons), no BYU or Boise.  Stephen F Austin is ahead of a few bubble teams though.  Northern Iowa down to a 5 and Wichita St down to a 6.  And yea, Gonzaga gets screwed.

Tha Kid

« Reply #216 on: March 15, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »

RPI is at 44 according to this site which is the NCAA. Imo that will put us at 11 or 12 seed.  would not be surprised to get play in

But when you are given a list of the 15-20 bubble teams fighting for 10-11 spots, you pick st johns in the first few that you think deserve it. 

We will be 7-10, my guess is a 9.

« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »

But when you are given a list of the 15-20 bubble teams fighting for 10-11 spots, you pick st johns in the first few that you think deserve it. 

Who cares what we think? Is this RPI not relevant all of a sudden?  In my opinion I think ST John's will be  one of the last 6 or 8 teams in.

« Reply #218 on: March 15, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »

As you have pointed out for other at large contenders (Georgia, etc.), there is a lot more to the seeding conversation than RPI. SOS and top 50 wins put SJU in a relatively favorable position. You clearly understand this but continue to repeatedly state an opinion that seemingly defies even your own criteria.

« Reply #219 on: March 15, 2015, 11:17:17 AM »

Who cares what we think? Is this RPI not relevant all of a sudden?  In my opinion I think ST John's will be  one of the last 6 or 8 teams in.

Yeah....  Who cares what we think, but there is nothing definitive that matches your nitwit thought.