2015-2016

• 47 replies

sju89tr

2015-2016
« on: November 29, 2014, 11:14:29 AM »
Lets say Lavin somehow gets this quad to the NCAA's and is re-upped for a few years

If we somehow manage to bring back Jordan and Obekpa and add them to Balamou Jones Albogevic Stewart ADR and Doughty Lavin would still need to add at least 3-4 more kids (with 5 ships available-I assume Stewart and Henderon will get ships)

If the roster looks like this would everyone be satisfied

Obekpa
ADR
Freeman
Ahmed
Akele
Stewart
Albogevic
Jones
Jordan
Balamou
Henderson
Mussini or Traci Carter or Lovett     
Doughty

I am just taking a shot in the dark with some of these recruits and not really sure Mussini is possible 

paultzman

Re: 2015-2016
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 11:18:01 AM »
Lets say Lavin somehow gets this quad to the NCAA's and is re-upped for a few years If we somehow manage to bring back Jordan and Obekpa and add them to Balamou Jones Albogevic Stewart ADR and Doughty Lavin would still need to add at least 3-4 more kids (with 5 ships available-I assume Stewart and Henderon will get ships) If the roster looks like this would everyone be satisfied Obekpa ADR Freeman Ahmed Akele Stewart Albogevic Jones Jordan Balamou Henderson Mussini or Traci Carter or Lovett Doughty I am just taking a shot in the dark with some of these recruits and not really sure Mussini is possible
Yes

desco80

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
Yes.  That would be the second best scenario possible.

The first, obviously, is Obekpa and Jordan return and we have a new coach.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
Frederico Mussini - Samir Daughty
Rysheed Jordan - Myles Stewart - Jay Henderson
Brandon Sampson - Nicola Akele - Felix Balamou
Deshawn Freeman - Amar Alibegovic - Christian Jones
Chris Obekpa - Adonis DeLarosa

Hopefully we can get another PG in there also and yes I'd go to war with that squad. Has good spacing, good playmaking, size and athletic defenders. Just a good balanced roster. Saying that, based on what Lavin has been able to previously do, a good balanced roster is not on our horizon.

Switched Bashir who seems to be 2016 as paultzman said to Sampson
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:10:53 PM by Save The Hero »

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »
I think Ahmed is 16 kid. 

sju89tr

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 09:27:06 PM »
Sampson would really be the key at this point and replace Harrison, getting Mussini would also be huge. Lavin must really recruit any Juco big and stress immediate playing time

I am thinking there may be a possibility Jordan and Obekpa could return   

desco80

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 10:00:04 PM »

I am thinking there may be a possibility Jordan and Obekpa could return

Then someone needs to get in their ears soon because both guys need to attend their classes next semester if theres  even a chance they might want to return in 15-16.   Unfortunately I don't think it's a possibility for either.  Minds have been made up.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 12:50:09 AM »
Is it me, or is Jordan playing a lot like Sampson last year. He almost looks too focus on getting drafted and not paying attention to his game now. For every great play Jordan makes he has a lot bad ones. Sampson had that great game against Creighton bit was uneven for most of last year.
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 01:21:23 AM »
I think that roster would lead to a team that is at least as good as this season's.  Unless Ahmed--who I really like--qualified out of high school, he's a 2016 recruit.
I think it is far more likely than most that we will see Obekpa and/or Jordan return.  Obekpa will be a late second round target with no guaranteed money and Jordan is just a pipe dream for the 2015 draft.  We've played 7 combined games and exhibitions (three D-2 schools!) and he has almost 40 turnovers and is shooting 20% from three (nearly all wide open looks).  Semaj Christon is in the D-league and he only had 87 turnovers in 34 games while shooting almost 40% from three. A physically talented 6'9 forward will garner a look even if undeveloped...a 6'4 combo guard will not.  End of story.
We are pretty fortunate to have some really able walk-ons like Stewart, JDR, and Henderson to help bridge the gap into next season.  We also have handful of able contributors like ADR, Ali-b, Balamou, and Jones to add depth.
Add a juco or two like Freeman, a 5th year transfer similar to what Gonzaga did with Wesley, and a couple of high school kids in a addition to Samir and we'll be very solid.  

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 03:33:57 AM »
Lets say Lavin somehow gets this quad to the NCAA's and is re-upped for a few years

If we somehow manage to bring back Jordan and Obekpa and add them to Balamou Jones Albogevic Stewart ADR and Doughty Lavin would still need to add at least 3-4 more kids (with 5 ships available-I assume Stewart and Henderon will get ships)

If the roster looks like this would everyone be satisfied

Obekpa
ADR
Freeman
Ahmed
Akele
Stewart
Albogevic
Jones
Jordan
Balamou
Henderson
Mussini or Traci Carter or Lovett     
Doughty

I am just taking a shot in the dark with some of these recruits and not really sure Mussini is possible

there's to many ifs. Lets revisit this thread again in late April.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:38:57 AM by mullin85berry86 »

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »
I agree we should worry about this after the season. I am just expecting a season where we compete for the Big East championship and make the tournament well off the bubble.
Jordan and Obekpa having very good sophomore and Junior seasons, however  not getting drafted by NBA.  Obekpa 1 point last game, as good as he has been on defense he is not going to average close to 10 points in Big east play. Is he even big enough to play in NBA? Who is he guarding? Carmelo Anthony plays on the wing, he has to have 30 pounds on him.
Jordan- needs to make better decisions and improve his shooting
Good season will lead to players. Maybe we won't be great next year but we are competing with Creighton and Butler, not Syracuse and Lousiville. This new big east is such a better fit for us. Never thought I would think that.

Wods317

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 11:54:27 AM »
We will get quality players for '15 and '16 classes because we are a well known program, play in a good conference and we have some much playing time available. The problem is as well know we have nothing coming back so we will probably wont see the NCAAs until at least 2016-17 and even that may be a stretch. We basically punted on 2015-16 with how poorly the staff did for 2014. If we could get Jordan and Obepka back that would be huge but both is extremely unlikely.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 03:08:14 PM »
The problem is as well know we have nothing coming back so we will probably wont see the NCAAs until at least 2016-17 and even that may be a stretch. We basically punted on 2015-16 with how poorly the staff did for 2014. If we could get Jordan and Obepka back that would be huge but both is extremely unlikely.

Listen, and I'll make it very clear, I don't give two S***'s what we do this year.
If Obekpa and Jordan, then Lavin definitely, absolutely has to go. We'll be the blanking youngest team again in his 6th year, why in his 6th year?
I'd rather start freaking over with someone who will recruit eEVERY YEAR and not be lazy like this guy that we have now.
Plus maybe a coach who has a brain and knows how to coach.
Do I sound harsh? Well hey, I'm trying.   As now everytime they show him on the sidelines I get real pissed.  I'm just sick of him.

Look at the 3 big big men that was supposed to have played this year. Thomas is done. Adonis, we have no clue about him. Joey can't play until January.     WTF KIND OF RECRUITING JOB IS THAT.

Whoever wants to kill me on this, well go right ahead.  But everyone knows that if obekpa and jordan leave, that we'll be in the bottom of the league.   

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 03:40:56 PM »
Is Thomas done for next year?

I kind of think it is crazy if both players leave . But if both get drafted didn't the coach do a good job? If both leave and don't get drafted, the players are fools. Can't blame the coach for that. 

Since 0-5 last year, I Killed Lavin last November - early January. Since then we have played really well. From that point on we have played like a top 25 team.
The guy recruited at UCLA and recruited here. Would rather a less hyped team that stays 4 years then guys leaving after 2 to play in D- league.
I am going to enjoy this year. Its going to be fun. Next year will be a down year, not depaul down.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »

I kind of think it is crazy if both players leave . But if both get drafted didn't the coach do a good job? If both leave and don't get drafted, the players are fools. Can't blame the coach for that. 

Since 0-5 last year, I Killed Lavin last November - early January. Since then we have played really well. From that point on we have played like a top 25 team.
The guy recruited at UCLA and recruited here. Would rather a less hyped team that stays 4 years then guys leaving after 2 to play in D- league.
I am going to enjoy this year. Its going to be fun. Next year will be a down year, not depaul down.

Thomas won't be back.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
Is Thomas done for next year? I kind of think it is crazy if both players leave . But if both get drafted didn't the coach do a good job? If both leave and don't get drafted, the players are fools. Can't blame the coach for that. Since 0-5 last year, I Killed Lavin last November - early January. Since then we have played really well. From that point on we have played like a top 25 team. The guy recruited at UCLA and recruited here. Would rather a less hyped team that stays 4 years then guys leaving after 2 to play in D- league. I am going to enjoy this year. Its going to be fun. Next year will be a down year, not depaul down.
Next year could be worse than a Depaul year. At least Depaul always has a couple of good players. If Jordan and Obekpa leave we won't even have one player good enough to start in the BE. Lavin is def in deep sh*t.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »

In the real world, if you're not successful, you'll leave. In sports it should be the same. The NIT is not acceptable.
He was giving a chance to be successful at SJU, which is the NCAA.

If he can't do that then he must go after the season.
He went to there in year one, if he gets there this year it would have come in year 5.
Next year we'll stink, so when's the next appearance, in year 9???
That's = FAILURE
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 04:22:27 PM by mullin85berry86 »

Poison

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »
Is Thomas done for next year? I kind of think it is crazy if both players leave . But if both get drafted didn't the coach do a good job? If both leave and don't get drafted, the players are fools. Can't blame the coach for that. Since 0-5 last year, I Killed Lavin last November - early January. Since then we have played really well. From that point on we have played like a top 25 team. The guy recruited at UCLA and recruited here. Would rather a less hyped team that stays 4 years then guys leaving after 2 to play in D- league. I am going to enjoy this year. Its going to be fun. Next year will be a down year, not depaul down.
In the real world, if you're not successful, you'll leave. In sports it should be the same. The NIT is not acceptable. He was giving a chance to be successful at SJU, which is the NCAA. If he can't do that then he must go after the season. He went to there in year one, if he gets there this year it would have come in year 5. Next year we'll stink, so when's the next appearance, in year 9??? That's = FAILURE
When does reality set in? NCAA 2 out of 5 years, and post season 4 out of 5 years would make Lavin reasonably successful. If we are judging success by a coach that is going to win like Lou did, are we kidding ourselves? We've brought in the predecessor, the local guy with fire, the studious preacher, the nice guy and the salesman. No one has been able to solve St.John's. 
Why do we change the record yet again, and expect a different result? Lavin has plenty of weaknesses, but he's not the failure you're making him out to be. 

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
We could argue all day about this. This is a fun team. Lavin put it together and is in charge of it. I don't understand how people can be happy with how the team is playing and give him no credit. Last week he didn't care about rebounding and he is an idiot. Team rebounded fine over the past week. Don't think the Minnesota or Gonzaga coaches or fans think this is a poorly coached team. But he is still an idiot!
Kill him when he doesn't recuit. The current team has 7 highly recruited guys. 2 more are getting NBA checks.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 04:59:54 PM »
We could argue all day about this. This is a fun team. Lavin put it together and is in charge of it. I don't understand how people can be happy with how the team is playing and give him no credit. Last week he didn't care about rebounding and he is an idiot. Team rebounded fine over the past week. Don't think the Minnesota or Gonzaga coaches or fans think this is a poorly coached team. But he is still an idiot! Kill him when he doesn't recuit. The current team has 7 highly recruited guys. 2 more are getting NBA checks.
I am happy we didn't embarrass ourselves. But at this stage of Lavin's career w SJU he and his players should be more prepared for the season. The fact that Lavin didn't land one player who is in a position to help us this year and next year is unacceptable. 
What is the point of landing these top rated recruits if the result is basically the same as when Norm was here? Before you jump down my throat, consider that these last three seasons are marginally better than what Norm did. We have more press coverage. More overall exposure. A coach who is well liked and respected by the media. But when it comes down to it, we've gone from pretty bad to mediocre.