2015-2016

• 47 replies
Re: 2015-2016
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
Is Thomas done for next year? I kind of think it is crazy if both players leave . But if both get drafted didn't the coach do a good job? If both leave and don't get drafted, the players are fools. Can't blame the coach for that. Since 0-5 last year, I Killed Lavin last November - early January. Since then we have played really well. From that point on we have played like a top 25 team. The guy recruited at UCLA and recruited here. Would rather a less hyped team that stays 4 years then guys leaving after 2 to play in D- league. I am going to enjoy this year. Its going to be fun. Next year will be a down year, not depaul down.
In the real world, if you're not successful, you'll leave. In sports it should be the same. The NIT is not acceptable. He was giving a chance to be successful at SJU, which is the NCAA. If he can't do that then he must go after the season. He went to there in year one, if he gets there this year it would have come in year 5. Next year we'll stink, so when's the next appearance, in year 9??? That's = FAILURE
When does reality set in? NCAA 2 out of 5 years, and post season 4 out of 5 years would make Lavin reasonably successful. If we are judging success by a coach that is going to win like Lou did, are we kidding ourselves? We've brought in the predecessor, the local guy with fire, the studious preacher, the nice guy and the salesman. No one has been able to solve St.John's.
Why do we change the record yet again, and expect a different result? Lavin has plenty of weaknesses, but he's not the failure you're making him out to be.

Hey poison, so you want to settle for avg, the nit? I don't expect to be Duke or those elite teams, but we couldn't even be Villanova G-Town or Xavier? Nah that's bs.
I want to win, be one of the better teams, like those 3 i mentioned.
Sports is about winning, no? Why even be into sports then, just to be avg, I want my team to wanmt to be the best. That's what sports is about, is why you compete in sports.
The days my team settle for avg and not to be on top, is the day I'm done with that team.

I say keep on looking, until we get that guy, and it doesn't look like Lavin is that guy.

We'll talk next year in April, time to focus on this year.
See ya Tuesday.   GO SENIORS. GO REDMEN. Beat Niagara.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:21:41 PM by mullin85berry86 »

TONYD3

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
I don't love this guy either. But this is nothing like Norm. We are preseason 3rd in conference.  We are absolutely revelant. i think we had very similar seasons to Providence last year. They won a few more and we lost a few more. Think we were better last year. Think we are better this year. Think we will be better in 5 years. Yes I know they won the big east and we didn't. Yes I know they went to NCAA and we lost to Robert Morris. 
I believe this team with this coach can win the Big East this year.  I believe he gives us the best chance to recruit for next year and the next few years out of anyone who would consider taking the job.
If we don't have a good season,  I am fine firing him. Then I think we are in much worse shape.

For those of you who keep saying we have no one for next year, who do you think he will bring in? I have no idea.
If we hired someone new, who? what kind of players would he bring in?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:01:15 PM by TONYD3 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 10:12:44 PM »
I don't love this guy either. But this is nothing like Norm. We are preseason 3rd in conference. We are absolutely revelant. i think we had very similar seasons to Providence last year. They won a few more and we lost a few more. Think we were better last year. Think we are better this year. Think we will be better in 5 years. Yes I know they won the big east and we didn't. Yes I know they went to NCAA and we lost to Robert Morris. I believe this team with this coach can win the Big East this year. I believe he gives us the best chance to recruit for next year and the next few years out of anyone who would consider taking the job. If we don't have a good season, I am fine firing him. Then I think we are in much worse shape. For those of you who keep saying we have no one for next year, who do you think he will bring in? I have no idea. If we hired someone new, who? what kind of players would he bring in?

Tony I agree 100%. Even if he is successful and brings in a great class I have no issues with only giving him a 2-3 extension to see if he can sustain and improve on his success. I think a more definitive version of success will be needed as well. 
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 10:41:54 PM »
I don't love this guy either. But this is nothing like Norm. We are preseason 3rd in conference.  We are absolutely revelant. i think we had very similar seasons to Providence last year. They won a few more and we lost a few more. Think we were better last year. Think we are better this year. Think we will be better in 5 years. Yes I know they won the big east and we didn't. Yes I know they went to NCAA and we lost to Robert Morris. 
I believe this team with this coach can win the Big East this year.  I believe he gives us the best chance to recruit for next year and the next few years out of anyone who would consider taking the job.
If we don't have a good season,  I am fine firing him. Then I think we are in much worse shape.

So do I, but this thread isn't about this year. 
Please tell me why he gives us the best chance to recruit for next year and the next few years?
Who did he recruit for this year?  Joey, Adonis, and Thomas. Are any of them playing now? NOOOOOOOOO
He has 1 recruit for next year (a three star), so please tell me, where are these top recruits in recent year?
Yes, the seniors and CO and RJ are high recruits, but if they all leave, then we'll only have three stars tops on next years team.

We are preseason 3rd in conference.  We are absolutely revelant.
Yeah, and that's because of the seniors, but when they leave, and if CO and RJ leave, what will we be next year? The youngest damn team again. Are you ok with that?

Think we will be better in 5 years. Yes I know they won the big east and we didn't. Yes I know they went to NCAA and we lost to Robert Morris.
And what happened again RM at our home? They smacked us down and some of that is on the coach sorry. Oh and god forbid if he's here another 5 years.

For those of you who keep saying we have no one for next year, who do you think he will bring in? I have no idea.
If we hired someone new, who? what kind of players would he bring in?
A coach with multiple backup plans for one recruiting. Not just pray that one top recruit comes or we're in deep crap. I don't know either, but the right coach won't take a year off of recruiting like vLavin did last year.
A few 4star recruits (Lavin isn't the only one who can get high recruits to come to SJU, and some sleeper 4year kids.
Also not only athletic kids, but some sharp shooters too..

Tony, we can counter each other every day and night, but that's bs to think that it has to be Lavin to bring us back or we're fordham, or NYU or some former great nyc school that will never be great again.
The right coach leads us to the promise land every damn freaking year. Villanova with the right coach is doing it, wtf can't we.

Put a list together Tony of some top coaches of maybe 20 candidates. Then call each one, one eventually will accept it.
Would be great if one of the top three took it.
Swear to you, with the right coach, we'll be doing major damage in coll bball. When will that day happen? No idea.

But we shall be on top and shine once again.  I know we will if we keep looking.

nudginator59

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »
Mullin not trying to be antagonizing, and honestly asking. What coaches do you think would realistically come to SJU? what would make them more successful then Lavin? If things break right of course?
Even if Lavin does land a solid recruiting class he still doesn't deserve an extension?
What would your expectations be for the new coach? How many NCAA tournaments in how many would be considered a success? 
Cougar O' Malley

boo3

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 11:40:45 PM »
Life is too short to worry about next year.  Enjoy this season.  If this season sucks , Lavin will be gone.  Fairly cut and dry.  

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 12:02:44 AM »
Mullin not trying to be antagonizing, and honestly asking. What coaches do you think would realistically come to SJU? what would make them more successful then Lavin? If things break right of course?
Even if Lavin does land a solid recruiting class he still doesn't deserve an extension?
What would your expectations be for the new coach? How many NCAA tournaments in how many would be considered a success?

Even though they'll be the youngest team next year, and so they won't be any good for atleast 2 years? Nah I'll pass on that.
If he would have recruited for this year then just maybe the youngest team tag wouldn't happen. 
Isn't that on Lavin or no?  Then a few unexpected departures and so came desperate mode.
Hench getting Thomas, Joey and Adonis, and uhhhh wherte are they now????   Just answer that.
but for some reason   omg omg omg  keep lavin.   Where are we gonna be without our hero.
Well WHERE ARE WE WITH HIM?????????   Oh the NIT  yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy   lets celebrate.
Oh but wait, didn't RM embarrass us at our house last year.   Nah can't blame Lavin, the man is a freaking genious that does no wrong.
I hope the ones in charge at SJU isn't this blinjd and looks at the resume of what Lavin has done here at SJU.
Take away Dunlap in year one, does Lavin get NORMS KIDS to the NCAA? Doubt it.

Who would take over?  don't know, let me google a few.   I don't know right off the top of my head, I'll admit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:04:01 AM by mullin85berry86 »

Poison

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 12:06:03 AM »
I don't love this guy either. But this is nothing like Norm. We are preseason 3rd in conference. We are absolutely revelant. i think we had very similar seasons to Providence last year. They won a few more and we lost a few more. Think we were better last year. Think we are better this year. Think we will be better in 5 years. Yes I know they won the big east and we didn't. Yes I know they went to NCAA and we lost to Robert Morris. I believe this team with this coach can win the Big East this year. I believe he gives us the best chance to recruit for next year and the next few years out of anyone who would consider taking the job. If we don't have a good season, I am fine firing him. Then I think we are in much worse shape. For those of you who keep saying we have no one for next year, who do you think he will bring in? I have no idea. If we hired someone new, who? what kind of players would he bring in?
Sometimes I wonder if you're just f'ing with us. 

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 12:35:06 AM »

How about Chuck Martin? Indiana assistant.
Assistant coaching stops at the NY Prep scene to UMass to Drexel to ST. John's to Memphis under Calipari. 
Head coach at Marist for 5 years, and was a scout for the Thunder last year.

Also seen people mention the Hurley's.

Oh and my expectionsfor the new coach? Next year would give him a pass, especially if co and rj leave. We gave Lavin a pass in the 2nd year.  Second year get better.  Third year the NIT, and 4th year the NCAA and NO LOOKING BACK.. Meaning we'll be there every year.
Be like how it was with Louie when MSG rocked RED.     BRING IT BACK TO LIKE IT USED TO BE.
It's killing me for those days to be back. We had that taste for a bit with Artest and those guys. 
Why cant we have that again, why we gotta settle for the NIT???

Continue this tomorrow if you guys want, I'm ready to just focus on this year.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 12:46:04 AM by mullin85berry86 »

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 12:50:19 AM »
Not #$%^ibg with u. Just want to win and have fun going to basketball games . I wouldn't stick up for him if u wasn't blamed for so much. Guy came into a impossible situation and made mistakes. His first year was great and this year hopefully the same . Second and 3rd years he really didn't have a chance as. No coach would have playong freshman and sophomores in old big east . Last year could and should have been better . 
Honestly the only thing I know about recruiting is what I read on here. His track record has been very good besides last year.
 Those 2 have no business leavibg early if they do will never understand how it's his fault . How is it his fault? 
Watch the game Saturday . Think the boys are going have a good day. If they play well again in the carrier dome he deserves some credit. Just like if we get blown out   By 30 he deserves some blame .

Poison

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 01:17:56 AM »
Not #$%^ibg with u. Just want to win and have fun going to basketball games . I wouldn't stick up for him if u wasn't blamed for so much. Guy came into a impossible situation and made mistakes. His first year was great and this year hopefully the same . Second and 3rd years he really didn't have a chance as. No coach would have playong freshman and sophomores in old big east . Last year could and should have been better . Honestly the only thing I know about recruiting is what I read on here. His track record has been very good besides last year. Those 2 have no business leavibg early if they do will never understand how it's his fault . How is it his fault? Watch the game Saturday . Think the boys are going have a good day. If they play well again in the carrier dome he deserves some credit. Just like if we get blown out By 30 he deserves some blame .
There are things that are out of a coach's control, and there are things that aren't. It's not fair to point to an isolated incident but it is fair to judge a coach based on the body of work.

In regards to his recruiting, I don't think anyone blames Lavin because Jakarr left early. Blame the coach for 7 ineligible players in 4 years. Not for one fake transcript, but because it keeps happening. People on this board keep saying it happens everywhere. Only it doesn't happen anywhere with the consistency that it happens here.

IDK what you're talking about regarding his 2nd and 3rd years here. Both of those seasons should have been much better. There may be blame to go around that might not seem fair to pin on Lavin, but he's the millionaire coach. So, he gets 100% of the credit, and he gets 100% of the blame.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:19:49 AM by Poison »

nudginator59

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 02:29:27 AM »
Mullin not trying to be antagonizing, and honestly asking. What coaches do you think would realistically come to SJU? what would make them more successful then Lavin? If things break right of course? Even if Lavin does land a solid recruiting class he still doesn't deserve an extension? What would your expectations be for the new coach? How many NCAA tournaments in how many would be considered a success?
Even though they'll be the youngest team next year, and so they won't be any good for atleast 2 years? Nah I'll pass on that. If he would have recruited for this year then just maybe the youngest team tag wouldn't happen. Isn't that on Lavin or no? Then a few unexpected departures and so came desperate mode. Hench getting Thomas, Joey and Adonis, and uhhhh wherte are they now???? Just answer that. but for some reason omg omg omg keep lavin. Where are we gonna be without our hero. Well WHERE ARE WE WITH HIM????????? Oh the NIT yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy lets celebrate. Oh but wait, didn't RM embarrass us at our house last year. Nah can't blame Lavin, the man is a freaking genious that does no wrong. I hope the ones in charge at SJU isn't this blinjd and looks at the resume of what Lavin has done here at SJU. Take away Dunlap in year one, does Lavin get NORMS KIDS to the NCAA? Doubt it. Who would take over? don't know, let me google a few. I don't know right off the top of my head, I'll admit.

Fair enough, I will say that I do think the new President will hold the AD and whoever is the coach's feet to the fire moving forward.
Cougar O' Malley

Tiger

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 05:29:28 AM »
What is the status of Keith Thomas?  Is he out of the school entirely?  Still in school but not with the team?  More importantly,  is on the 2015-2016 team?

boo3

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »
Guys, Keith Thomas is not at St Johns.   He will never play at St Johns.  

pmg911

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:32 AM »
Yes. That would be the second best scenario possible. The first, obviously, is Obekpa and Jordan return and we have a new coach.

At this point, neither one of them would get drafted so I certainly hope they are coming back.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 09:10:24 AM »
Yes. That would be the second best scenario possible. The first, obviously, is Obekpa and Jordan return and we have a new coach.
At this point, neither one of them would get drafted so I certainly hope they are coming back.
And if they'd rather just leave to get out of here, then a change at the top is necessary. Starting with the AD. 

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 11:00:05 AM »
This argument is silly. If he wins this year I think he stays. Not because I want him to . Just the reality of it. I don't see St. John's firing him after a winning season. If he doesn't win , I think he will be fired .

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 11:19:48 AM »
I dont think lavin would be fired for a non tourney bubble season. Not that I agree but dont see the school firing a guy who went to NCAA and three NIT's in 5 years. Would have to be lavin leaving on his own IMO, which who knows, could happen. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 01:45:28 PM »
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 11:40:45 PM »Quote Life is too short to worry about next year
   Re: Next Year
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »Quote Quote from: Celtics11 on November 14, 2014, 04:22:59 PMQuote from: boo3 on November 14, 2014, 01:42:08 PMQuote from: Marco Baldi on November 14, 2014, 01:15:54 PMWho quits first? Lavin or Jordan?

98% of the board feels the same way about the coach at this point... Time for Baldi to start crapping on the players.
Not true Look at some of the above posts and the poll. SMH

The poll?   It's a joke, ya know... "Coach at St. John's" is the only

In 16 days Lavin being here next year has gone from being a" joke" that he would be anywhwere but here to a "no brainer" he is gone if the team does not do well according to BOO

Amazingly since he basically argued both sides of same point I think he is wrong on both accounts. I say we make the tourney and Lavin rides off into the sunset.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:46:33 PM by we are sju »

boo3

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
  Lol.  You really have a hard on for me, huh? 
 So much so, you use my real name on here? 
 Go away.