2014-2015 Schedule

• 197 replies

Poison

Re: 2014-2015 Schedule
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
@JonRothstein: Stony Brook will be a part of St. John's pod in the Preseason NIT along with Saint Joseph's, source told @CBSSports. #sjubb

Thanks for this.  Stony Brook has been good the last couple of years, so I'm guessing they will match up Stony Brook with St. Joe's the first night, followed by us vs. the fourth team (assuming that team is garbage). 

Still like our chances to get to MSG, but it is by no means a lock.

I like the way Stony Brook hustles on defense. It would be great to see us try that hard.

I have been a fan for 20 years. Absolutely wasn't happy with season overall. But we had a bunch of games where we looked really good , where we played amazing defense, sad for some of you guys that missed it.

I think everyone saw the run the went on. It was inspiring while it was happening, but you have to finish strong as well, and we simply didn't.  The Xavier game really showed their lack of focus and preparation. They were supposed to learn after the 12-13 season. They didn't. Why remains to be seen but the players are the amatuers here.

TONYD3

« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2014, 06:30:20 PM »
Agree about that we layed an egg vs Xavier . But we were the hottest team in the country for over a month before that. I think we finished strong. Think Lavin did a great job from mid January on. He deserves and hasn't gotten enough criticism for the beginning if the season. Think he learned his lesson. Assistant coaches will have more say going forward . I think we are going to have a very good season next year.

« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2014, 10:31:28 PM »
I think we finished strong.

A first round BE tournament loss at home to a mundane Providence squad and a first round NIT loss at home to an 8 seed in which the savior didn't play with a sore throat and the rest of 'em didn't show up at all is finishing strong?  How so?

Poison

« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2014, 08:45:15 AM »

paultzman

« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »
@rumbleSBN: That retweet of St. Joe's schedule also includes confirmation that they will play at St. John's as part of NIT season tip-off, Nov 17-19.

redslope

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2014/06/date_set_for_syracuse-st_johns_basketball_game_at_carrier_dome.html

We've become one of their pre season cup cakes. Too bad we're not playing them in February. In Dec, they are lethal.
traditionally Boeheim does not play out of conference games during the conference season ( from 1/1 to end of conference tournament).  Look at his history during his BE tenure.  This gave him a time to rest his team during the conference schedule usually having one week off in January/February.  Thus I don't consider us to be on their cupcake schedule but their pre-conference schedule

redslope

« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2014, 07:14:11 PM »
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2014/06/date_set_for_syracuse-st_johns_basketball_game_at_carrier_dome.html

We've become one of their pre season cup cakes. Too bad we're not playing them in February. In Dec, they are lethal.

traditionally Boeheim does not play out of conference games during the conference season ( from 1/1 to end of conference tournament).  Look at his history during his BE tenure.  This gave him a time to rest his team during the conference schedule usually having one week off in January/February.  Thus I don't consider us to be on their cupcake schedule but their pre-conference schedule.

I am glad we are playing them in December or we would have had them and Duke along with 18 conference games in about 65 days. which would have included a lot of travel.  Also easier to get to Excuse in early December than mid Jan/Feb

Poison

« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »

traditionally Boeheim does not play out of conference games during the conference season ( from 1/1 to end of conference tournament).  Look at his history during his BE tenure.  This gave him a time to rest his team during the conference schedule usually having one week off in January/February.  Thus I don't consider us to be on their cupcake schedule but their pre-conference schedule.

I am glad we are playing them in December or we would have had them and Duke along with 18 conference games in about 65 days. which would have included a lot of travel.  Also easier to get to Excuse in early December than mid Jan/Feb

I'd be fine with SU and Duke back to back. We have seniors and juniors. It's time for the Johnnies to take the training wheels off and man up. Actually, it's been that time for a whole now. If we can't handle playing top programs then we should accept playing in a mid major conference.

Poison

« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
@rumbleSBN: That retweet of St. Joe's schedule also includes confirmation that they will play at St. John's as part of NIT season tip-off, Nov 17-19.

St.Josephs is losing 3 out of their 4 top scorers from last season. We should beat them. Anyone know what they have coming in?

QuanMan

« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2014, 09:06:08 PM »
Hawk alum here.

They have  a very solid class of transfers and redshirts to compliment a strong 2014 class coming in.

The freshmen are typical Martelli 4 year system players across the board led by Cardinal Hayes' own Shevar Newkirk.  I've seen him play and he has a very good chance to be a star in the A10, yet not immediately. Sheed will handle him no problem.

James Demery is supposedly a prolific scorer. He along with 6'6 bruiser Markel Lodge continue a pipeline of NC recruits for the program.

Star sophomore Deandre Bembry is originally from NC by way of St. Pat's. No doubt next year the offense will be run through him with Galloway, Roberts, and Kanecevic all graduating this year.

3 star 6'9 freshman forward Obi Romeo, and redshirt Philly big 6'9 Jai Williams round out the newcomers. Martelli also landed Pitt transfer Aaron Brown last year who will immediately be inserted into the starting lineup.

All in all this is a rebuilding year for the Hawks. The Johnnies depth, versatility, and experience should handle a St. Joe's team in their infancy of learning and gelling into Martelli's system. Lavin should press early and often IMO. It takes months if not years for Martelli's teams to buy into his system and eventually play wonderful team ball. Case in point this year's NCAA team who progressively got better as a team each year. This should be an easy W in Queens.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:18:40 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »
Hawk alum here.

They have  a very solid class of transfers and redshirts to compliment a strong 2014 class coming in.

The freshmen are typical Martelli 4 year system players across the board led by Cardinal Hayes' own Shevar Newkirk.  I've seen him play and he has a very good chance to be a star in the A10, yet not immediately. Sheed will handle him no problem.

James Demery is supposedly a prolific scorer. He along with 6'6 bruiser Markel Lodge continue a pipeline of NC recruits for the program.

Star sophomore Deandre Bembry is originally from NC by way of St. Pat's. No doubt next year the offense will be run through him with Galloway, Roberts, and Kanecevic all graduating this year.

3 star 6'9 freshman forward Obi Romeo, and redshirt Philly big 6'9 Jai Williams round out the newcomers. Martelli also landed Pitt transfer Aaron Brown last year who will immediately be inserted into the starting lineup.

All in all this is a rebuilding year for the Hawks. The Johnnies depth, versatility, and experience should handle a St. Joe's team in their infancy of learning and gelling into Martelli's system. Lavin should press early and often IMO. It takes months if not years for Martelli's teams to buy into his system and eventually play wonderful team ball. Case in point this year's NCAA team who progressively got better as a team each year. This should be an easy W in Queens.
No such thing as an easy win in Queens

Marillac

« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2014, 04:47:25 PM »

St.Josephs is losing 3 out of their 4 top scorers from last season. We should beat them. Anyone know what they have coming in?

Our foot to their arse.

paultzman

« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB will meet Tulane on Sunday, Dec. 28 at @barclayscenter as  part of the BROOKLYN HOOPS Winter Festival presented by Honda.

« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB will meet Tulane on Sunday, Dec. 28 at @barclayscenter as  part of the BROOKLYN HOOPS Winter Festival presented by Honda.
Should do well on a late season NFL Sunday.

« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »
Over/under 500 in attendance for that game

TONYD3

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »
Under 500 if u don't count workers.  Would rather play at Barclays then on campus. I like beer and nice seats. Don't know why they are playing Tulane though

« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »
Renewing that Niagara matchup.

« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »

« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »
Renewing that Niagara matchup.

This is where the series left off

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273492599

If St Johns loses this year, they should get rid of the program