Scottie Lewis - SF - Ranney School - FLORIDA

• 164 replies

goredmen

Re: Scottie Lewis - SF - Ranney School
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »
Wanted Scottie as badly as any recruit we're chasing, but you can't have recruits dictating changes to your staff. Hes going to Florida or Kentucky without their having to bring on somebody with Rice's baggage, isn't he? Why was it required that we tie ourselves to those Rutgers' videos?

The Head Coach needs full autonomy to run the program as he sees fit. If Scottie wants to be at St. John's we'd love to have him, but a player can't dictate changes to our coaching staff.

I would understand that argument if it was Lewis' dad, uncle, or a long-lost cousin that was trying to weasel his way into a coaching spot. But it's a guy that would be an EXTREME upgrade over Mitch in the assistant coach position even without bringing any players in. If Rice would have tipped the scales in our favor for a top 10 player in the class in addition to everything else he'd bring as part of the staff, it's complete lunacy that he wasn't hired.

I don't whose decision it was and I don't know which is worse. Mullin prioritizing keeping a useless buddy on staff over the success of the program, or the administration sticking their nose into the basketball business yet again.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:38:05 PM by goredmen »

wpc77

« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2018, 10:15:27 PM »
Wanted Scottie as badly as any recruit we're chasing, but you can't have recruits dictating changes to your staff. Hes going to Florida or Kentucky without their having to bring on somebody with Rice's baggage, isn't he? Why was it required that we tie ourselves to those Rutgers' videos?

The Head Coach needs full autonomy to run the program as he sees fit. If Scottie wants to be at St. John's we'd love to have him, but a player can't dictate changes to our coaching staff.

I would understand that argument if it was Lewis' dad, uncle, or a long-lost cousin that was trying to weasel his way into a coaching spot. But it's a guy that would be an EXTREME upgrade over Mitch in the assistant coach position even without bringing any players in. If Rice would have tipped the scales in our favor for a top 10 player in the class in addition to everything else he'd bring as part of the staff, it's complete lunacy that he wasn't hired.

I don't whose decision it was and I don't know which is worse. Mullin prioritizing keeping a useless buddy on staff over the success of the program, or the administration sticking their nose into the basketball business yet again.

Why aren't any other major conference programs looking to hire him?

goredmen

« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2018, 10:48:08 PM »

None of the other major conference programs employ an assistant coach that does absolutely 0 recruiting and 0 coaching. For other programs, Mike Rice might not be an upgrade over whoever their 3rd assistant coach is. For us, he would be a major upgrade.

TONYD3

« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2018, 11:32:29 PM »

None of the other major conference programs employ an assistant coach that does absolutely 0 recruiting and 0 coaching. For other programs, Mike Rice might not be an upgrade over whoever their 3rd assistant coach is. For us, he would be a major upgrade.
But Mitch is in the hall of fame!

QuanMan

« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2018, 03:11:52 AM »

+1000

Why doesn't  this forum trust someone who is at the very apex of the global basketball scale? I for one trust Chris' acumen, professionalism and all world knowledge. What ever the answer is, Rice isn't being hired with good reason. Scottie or not, this season will bring us tremendous success, and we will get what we need.We're about to enjoy a 20+ win season, Heron or not.

It's late August, every single person that reads this blog is clamoring in the same fashion for 2019 results/tangible success. Yet we're coming off 3 unsuccessful seasons. Listen I'm not saying that I'm disappointed but I'm also saying- let's give our HOF HC some respect. Let the season play out before you cast stones.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2018, 07:59:42 AM »
Very nice post Quanman. Unfortunately, it requires posters to show respect for the current coach and to not jump to conclusions regarding issues they know nothing about. I applaud your loyalty to Coach Mullin. You will be rewarded with a very enjoyable year of basketball coming up. As for future recruiting, it will be just as rewarding.

Foad

« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »
Why doesn't  this forum trust someone who is at the very apex of the global basketball scale?

You underestimate the expertise of the posters here. In the first place, all of them have moles and sources that inform them daily at great personal risk of the inside workings of the basketball program. That is how they knew eg that Matt Abdelmassih was leaving SJ to go to LSU, that Shamorie Ponds was transferring to Arizona, and that Mike Rice was being on boarded. That's also why we knew e.g. months in advance that Heron was coming: because those people have access to such impeccable information. Which is why I know that they know where Mitch Richmond is at all times, what his duties are, and how he affects the success (or in this case failure) of the basketball program. A cynic like yourself might believe that such people are pathetic desperate for attention rumor mongering drama queens but I for one am glad to have access to their classified inside information.

Second, you may not realize it but many posters here have much more coaching experience than Chris Mullin - and have been much more successful. Having put in hours upon hours of study of the Princeton offense, Bob Knights's motion offense, and the intricacies of the triangle and three have resulted in championships for many of them. Now, obviously coaching 5th grade girl's CYO isn't exactly the same thing as running a successful division one college basketball program, but at the same time there's no reason to doubt that Mullins has a lot to learn and if not them who? Lazy and shiftless Mitch Richmond? Wet behind the ears Gary St Jean? Don't. Make. Me. Laugh. Better that he were to take advice from posters here who have defeated powerhouses such as St Dymphna of Perpetual Sorrow in games that actually matter: championship games. Because they have the trophies on their mantles to prove it.

Remember: coaching is hard. And just because you've been successful at every facet of the game since your teens - NY State Mr Basketball, College player of the year, NBA all star, olympic gold medaler, two time inductee into the BB hall of fame - that doesn't guarantee that you've picked up any understanding of the rudiments of sport along the way. And this is especially true of someone of Mullin's physical gifts - there's no reason he'd have to think about the game when he could rely on his athleticism - his speed, strength and leaping ability to overpower opponents. Which is why someone like Mike Rice - who won an astounding one game in the BE for every three he lost - could have been the missing piece of the puzzle.

I just wish Mullin was not so stubborn that he would realize these things and that he loved the university as much as well all do so that he would do what's best for the university rather than sitting around idly lining his pockets and those of his friends. How much money does one man need. It's disgraceful.

wpc77

« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »
Man you guys really read into things.

I don't agree with Mitch being assistant on this team.

I think Chris has been weak as a head coach to date. 

However it is fair to objectively question whether can major program is interested or has been interested in hiring this guy.   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:01:24 AM by wpc77 »

pmg911

« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »

or the administration sticking their nose into the basketball business yet again.

you mean the Administration that runs the entire school and everything associated with it....    or the Administration that is currently trying to run an Athletic Department without an Athletic Director..?

I am not saying you are wrong but do yo think the school should not have a say over who works for it..?

and for the record, I would have loved to see them hire Mike Rice...

I was totally against it when it happened but look at what hiring Tiny Morton (a total POS) did for the SHU program. The player dictated the hire, the coach helped get more players and they have been to three straight NCAA Tournaments...    might not be the "right way" to do things but it can clearly work...   and Kevin Willard can say what ever he wants...    hiring Tiny Morton (a total POS) probably made him an extra $10mm personally...

TONYD3

« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »

+1000

Why doesn't  this forum trust someone who is at the very apex of the global basketball scale? I for one trust Chris' acumen, professionalism and all world knowledge. What ever the answer is, Rice isn't being hired with good reason. Scottie or not, this season will bring us tremendous success, and we will get what we need.We're about to enjoy a 20+ win season, Heron or not.

It's late August, every single person that reads this blog is clamoring in the same fashion for 2019 results/tangible success. Yet we're coming off 3 unsuccessful seasons. Listen I'm not saying that I'm disappointed but I'm also saying- let's give our HOF HC some respect. Let the season play out before you cast stones.
Hall of famer already got 6 million. If he were anyone else the abuse would much worse.
What makes this year different then the last 3? Why should we expect improvement? No changes = same shit.

Let this novice coach prove that he can do the job before he gets any more respect. This is not CYO. Last years 9th place finish should be looked upon as a failure.

ras

« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2018, 12:52:43 PM »

or the administration sticking their nose into the basketball business yet again.

you mean the Administration that runs the entire school and everything associated with it....    or the Administration that is currently trying to run an Athletic Department without an Athletic Director..?

I am not saying you are wrong but do yo think the school should not have a say over who works for it..?

I was totally against it when it happened but look at what hiring Tiny Morton (a total POS) did for the SHU program. The player dictated the hire, the coach helped get more players and they have been to three straight NCAA Tournaments...    might not be the "right way" to do things but it can clearly work...   and Kevin Willard can say what ever he wants...    hiring Tiny Morton (a total POS) probably made him an extra $10mm personally...
Plus the fact that Rice is knowledgeable, a hard worker and has good local AAU ties.

SJUFAN

« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »

I was on board for bringing in Rice, but not because of Rice or the players he could bring. I was really on board to bring in anyone who would be an upgrade over Richmond, and it just so happened to be Rice. Now I began to think, what is the basis of my feelings behind Richmond? How do I know Richmond doesn't coach or recruit? Well it was said on Johnny Jungle. Talk about a drop your coffee cup moment. I've been duped.   

goredmen

« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »

+1000

Chris Mullin has done nothing as a basketball coach to trust him just because he was a good player 20 and 30 years ago.

I've defended Mullin from the anti-Mullin on certain things and I've been critical when I think it's warranted. If this was his decision alone (and it may not have been) then it's a terrible one.

Even if it was somebody other than Mike Rice, the program is at a disadvantage as we have one assistant coach who essentially does NOTHING. Name one successful program where that is also the case

goredmen

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »

I was on board for bringing in Rice, but not because of Rice or the players he could bring. I was really on board to bring in anyone who would be an upgrade over Richmond, and it just so happened to be Rice. Now I began to think, what is the basis of my feelings behind Richmond? How do I know Richmond doesn't coach or recruit? Well it was said on Johnny Jungle. Talk about a drop your coffee cup moment. I've been duped.   

During the July AAU season, there are countless guys on Twitter who track and post where each high-major and most mid-major head coaches and assistant coaches are. We know where Matt is pretty much every day of the live period. Did you see anybody post that Mitch was representing SJU at an AAU event in July?

He doesn't even have to actually to players. Just sit there with a SJU shirt on. "Hey there's a Hall of Famer in the gym watching you play" - "Wow, who's he representing?" "St. John's".

That would be enough for me, but he couldn't even do that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:05:39 PM by goredmen »

goredmen

« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »

Yes, agree. My problem is you have people that have no idea how sports or basketball work making sports and basketball decisions. Let's say Mullin wanted to bring Rice in but was shot down from somebody above him not in the athletic department. Are you ok with the school raising prices on everything basketball related and then making decisions that would hinder the program's success?

College sports is a dirty business. Everybody is cheating and the NCAA protects most of those cheaters. There are some absolutely terrible people that have and continue to achieve great success in college sports. If all we want to be is the nice program with nice guys coaching and we don't care about getting embarrassed on the court every year we should have just kept Norm around.

« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
Why doesn't  this forum trust someone who is at the very apex of the global basketball scale?

You underestimate the expertise of the posters here. In the first place, all of them have moles and sources that inform them daily at great personal risk of the inside workings of the basketball program. That is how they knew eg that Matt Abdelmassih was leaving SJ to go to LSU, that Shamorie Ponds was transferring to Arizona, and that Mike Rice was being on boarded. That's also why we knew e.g. months in advance that Heron was coming: because those people have access to such impeccable information. Which is why I know that they know where Mitch Richmond is at all times, what his duties are, and how he affects the success (or in this case failure) of the basketball program. A cynic like yourself might believe that such people are pathetic desperate for attention rumor mongering drama queens but I for one am glad to have access to their classified inside information.

Second, you may not realize it but many posters here have much more coaching experience than Chris Mullin - and have been much more successful. Having put in hours upon hours of study of the Princeton offense, Bob Knights's motion offense, and the intricacies of the triangle and three have resulted in championships for many of them. Now, obviously coaching 5th grade girl's CYO isn't exactly the same thing as running a successful division one college basketball program, but at the same time there's no reason to doubt that Mullins has a lot to learn and if not them who? Lazy and shiftless Mitch Richmond? Wet behind the ears Gary St Jean? Don't. Make. Me. Laugh. Better that he were to take advice from posters here who have defeated powerhouses such as St Dymphna of Perpetual Sorrow in games that actually matter: championship games. Because they have the trophies on their mantles to prove it.

Remember: coaching is hard. And just because you've been successful at every facet of the game since your teens - NY State Mr Basketball, College player of the year, NBA all star, olympic gold medaler, two time inductee into the BB hall of fame - that doesn't guarantee that you've picked up any understanding of the rudiments of sport along the way. And this is especially true of someone of Mullin's physical gifts - there's no reason he'd have to think about the game when he could rely on his athleticism - his speed, strength and leaping ability to overpower opponents. Which is why someone like Mike Rice - who won an astounding one game in the BE for every three he lost - could have been the missing piece of the puzzle.

I just wish Mullin was not so stubborn that he would realize these things and that he loved the university as much as well all do so that he would do what's best for the university rather than sitting around idly lining his pockets and those of his friends. How much money does one man need. It's disgraceful.

I totally get what you are saying, but you sticking up for Mullin here who has a 12-42 record in Big East Conference play, and criticizing Mike Rice for his 1 win for every 3 games he lost actually had a better record in Big East play after 3 seasons ....16-38. All I'm saying is its not the end of the world that they didn't hire him as an assistant, but I think it would have helped to have an assistant with some experience.

« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
Wouldn’t use them as the example (and I wanted Rice). Yes, they’ve been to 3 straight tourneys, but they may be in hot water with the NCAA because of their shadiness. Plus, I live in Northern Jersey, and I can tell you most people could care less about their consecutive tourney runs - our wins versus Duke and Nova got more attention than their season last year. Hiring Tiny and Antigua and turning a blind eye to their violations - or condoning it outright - worked out for Kevin Willard personally.  But I would never want our program to do that (and Rice wasn’t that type of deal anyway).

goredmen

« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2018, 04:49:18 PM »
Wouldn’t use them as the example (and I wanted Rice). Yes, they’ve been to 3 straight tourneys, but they may be in hot water with the NCAA because of their shadiness. Plus, I live in Northern Jersey, and I can tell you most people could care less about their consecutive tourney runs - our wins versus Duke and Nova got more attention than their season last year. Hiring Tiny and Antigua and turning a blind eye to their violations - or condoning it outright - worked out for Kevin Willard personally.  But I would never want our program to do that (and Rice wasn’t that type of deal anyway).

Seton Hall is not in any hot water with the NCAA because of Tiny or Antigua. A bunch of programs have done the same exact thing because it's technically legal. Yeah, there was almost definitely some side deals going on but pretty much every program does stuff like that and the NCAA acted like they had no clue it was going on until the FBI got involved. If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

Again, if you prioritize having a nice, clean coaching staff that does everything by the book over winning, Norm should still be here.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:50:20 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »
I know hiring Tiny or Antigua was within the rules. But Seton Hall is being investigated because of what went on between Tiny, Whitehead and Andy Millers agency. So, yes, they are potentially in hot water from that hire. Who knows what it will uncover, but if you think Kevin Willard didn’t know what was going on or simply chose to be deliberately ignorant, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.  And God knows what Antigua was doing and what might come out from that in light of the Tiny investigation.

I’m not saying we are or should be squeaky clean. We aren’t. I’m saying there are lines and degrees, and one that I don’t want to cross is hiring the Tiny Morton’s of the world. We can win 20 games and make a tourney without that.

goredmen

« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2018, 07:32:27 PM »
We can win 20 games and make a tourney without that.

You sure about that?