Game 10: Fordham

• 60 replies
Re: Game 10: Fordham
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 08:58:16 PM »
I know this is crazy thinking, but i think we actually play better without Lovette.

Came home from the game and told my friend I can't wait to see a post on how Lovett was holding the team back.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »
Wasn't one of the handshake line rumors from last year's game that Mullin told Fordham's coach he was going to beat him by 30 this year.....

Wods317

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »
Ponds should stay at the point when LoVett comes back. Sees the court better and gets more players involved. LoVett will flourish as a shooting guard.

Shamorie can work with or without the ball. Will be nice to have Lovett back soon so we have two players to handle the point. I think the better play  to do with the team getting comfortable with each other and moving the ball better. As long as Lovett buys in which I think he will he should step in and create of the better young back courts in the country.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 09:23:06 PM »
Wasn't one of the handshake line rumors from last year's game that Mullin told Fordham's coach he was going to beat him by 30 this year.....
And he couldn't get the job done. Only won by 28.  ;) :)

desco80

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 09:48:23 PM »
Looking better.  You can see the style that Mullin wants them to play.  Spread out the defense and shoot if you're open.

Fordham played right into our hands though.  Wtf Kindle defense was that?  They ran around like idiots jumping for every ball and shot fake and over pursuing so often they regularly got beat backdoor.   

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 09:49:21 PM »
Just stating the obvious here, but ponds is a very special player. unselfish, good defender, and deadly shooter. as a pure freshman he can do everything exceptionally well. Looking forward to seeing him play some really good teams during the conference schedule

desco80

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 10:15:02 PM »
I'm not the closest observer of HS and auu hoops... but Ponds was definitely not this kind of shooter in HS. 
It's been an awesome suprise. 

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 10:31:02 PM »
I'm not the closest observer of HS and auu hoops... but Ponds was definitely not this kind of shooter in HS. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuwvD8oXRw
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 10:32:03 PM »
Ponds just played the best game at sju since Harkless' BE debut.

goredmen

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 10:32:19 PM »
Some KenPom numbers on Ponds up to this point of the season:

- He's 108th in the country in offensive rating with a 128. This is basically the more important individual statistic and essentially says that the team averages 1.28 points per possession on possessions in which he takes a shot, gets an assist or turns it over.

- 123rd in effective FG% which is 62.3%. This is FG% but weights 3 pointers as being a 1.5x more valuable than 2 pointers where regular FG% counts them all the same.

- 358th with an Assist rate of 22.1. This is assists divided by the field goals made by the player’s teammates while he is on the court.

- Top 500 with a TO Rate of 14. This is the percentage of personal possessions used on turnovers.

- 366th with a steal rate of 2.7. This is the percentage of possessions that a player records a steal shile he is on the court.

- 147th in fouls committed by 40 mins with 1.8.

- Shooting 88% from the FT line (Top 100), 57% on 2 pointers (Top 500) and 44% from 3 (Top 225).

Kid is a stud. Hopefully he doesn't hit a freshman wall. And maybe, just maybe, he will steadily improve over the next 4 years as well. Is that too much to ask?

desco80

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2016, 10:33:02 PM »

Mase come'on, you know anybody can look like a shooter from a highlight reel.  They only show the makes!

redslope

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 10:33:28 PM »
Back from an enjoyable night at SJU--payback was a #itch tonight.  Great game all around.  Love the little guy from Brooklyn-he is a much better o/s shooter than I hoped for at this time of his career.  I am a Rico supporter and Chris used hime the way he should all year.  Played about 20 minutes, rested at good times, coming off bench a real uplifter.  Owens continues to surprise.  You can see he understands the game as it is natural to him from years of play--something Sima/Yakwe lack at this stage of their development.  Everyone's whipping boy, Amar gave good minutes that were foul free (a first?) and led the team in rebounds.(a first?)--"IF" he could continue this he will get his 15 minutes a night.

Anyone remember the "mascot" AKA "The Tux"?  Bunch of students dressed in red suits in student section--great sartorial attire.  Keep it up--but NO top hats~  Maybe derbies! 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:33:55 PM by redslope »

Johnny23

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 10:34:22 PM »
Ponds is in the top 20 in the BE in 7 statistical categories.

This was the best performance by the whole team on this young season. The ball distribution was awesome to watch. 

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 10:34:42 PM »

Poison

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 10:38:22 PM »

Phil Greene in the Carrier Dome, but yes, Shamorie Ponds is terrific.

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 10:54:28 PM »

Mase come'on, you know anybody can look like a shooter from a highlight reel.  They only show the makes!

I thought you were implying he didnt hit 3's in highschool. In every game and highlight I saw of him he took and made plenty of 3s. That was just an example of a game in which he hit 8 of them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:56:14 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 10:55:45 PM »

Phil Greene in the Carrier Dome, but yes, Shamorie Ponds is terrific.

*most complete game

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 11:06:55 PM »
Curious what others think about Sima's limited minutes (12) tonight?

Alibegovic got 18 and Freudenberg got 13 tonight.  Granted, Fordham didn't have a low post presence so it may just be the opponent.   

Don't get me wrong, we need Sima especially in BE play, but i get the sense he isn't comfortable in the offense.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
Curious what others think about Sima's limited minutes (12) tonight?

Alibegovic got 18 and Freudenberg got 13 tonight.  Granted, Fordham didn't have a low post presence so it may just be the opponent.   

Don't get me wrong, we need Sima especially in BE play, but i get the sense he isn't comfortable in the offense.

I get it. Sima got the minutes he earned. Alibegovic, as bad as he plays most every night, at least hustles on every play. I know people love to say how much further ahead Sima is than Obekpa was, but I think it's clear now that he's only more mature in terms of how he behaves. On the court, he is uncoordinated, slow and unaware of what's happening. I was really hoping that he would return this fall ready to play, and now it looks as if he could be buried on the bench. It's hard to defend him.

Johnny23

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 11:28:31 PM »
Sima looked like he didn't even want to be in there tonight. Tonight's game we didn't need him as Fordham had no inside presence but he looked disinterested to be on the court, it was kinda odd. Freud showed some promise tonight, he was banging a little and had a sweet shot block. Yakwe's hands are not good at all.