Matt A

• 695 replies
Re: Matt A
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
What a mess.  Mullin sides with Matt over Slice, and a year later both are gone.  Now he is left with a buddy who is also a novice at this game and a mid-20s assistant.  Needs to get some advice from an outsider as to how to restart this process.

Mullin sided with Mullin.

No doubt, but now here we are without 2 of the 3 assistants he initially hired to right this ship.  He needs to get a third party neutral perspective because this is obviously a turning point in his coaching career.  I would think Mike Rice is an ideal hire here, but more than just that probably needs to be done.  We will see.

Well he's without 1 maybe without another.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »
What a mess.  Mullin sides with Matt over Slice, and a year later both are gone.  Now he is left with a buddy who is also a novice at this game and a mid-20s assistant.  Needs to get some advice from an outsider as to how to restart this process.

I predict Terence Mullin ,Tim Hardaway or Tim Cluess will be Matt's replacement.

Billy Owens unavailable?

People on here would pass out if he hired a Cuse guy. My $ on Cluess. Asst at ST John's has to pay more than Iona head coach no?  ;)

No shot.

Ego wouldn't dictate going from head to assistant. He'll go to A-10 job first

« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »

No doubt, but now here we are without 2 of the 3 assistants he initially hired to right this ship.  He needs to get a third party neutral perspective because this is obviously a turning point in his coaching career.  I would think Mike Rice is an ideal hire here, but more than just that probably needs to be done.  We will see.

When did Mike Rice become Red Auerbach? Besides being a certifiable nut job, he was wildly unsuccessful at Rutgers!
Would rather hire Fred Hill away from Seton Hall

« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2017, 02:50:12 PM »

I predict Terence Mullin ,Tim Hardaway or Tim Cluess will be Matt's replacement.

Billy Owens unavailable?

People on here would pass out if he hired a Cuse guy. My $ on Cluess. Asst at ST John's has to pay more than Iona head coach no?  ;)

No shot.

Ego wouldn't dictate going from head to assistant. He'll go to A-10 job first

Joking / taking shot at Bluto.
Al loBalbo still alive?

« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »

When did Mike Rice become Red Auerbach? Besides being a certifiable nut job, he was wildly unsuccessful at Rutgers!

Rutgers was terrible when Rice arrived. Fred Hill was 13-57 in conference. Rice wasn't much better 16-38 but they were making progress. Robert Morris teams were tough.

« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »
Hill's a bad dude anyway.  Want no freaking part of him.

Perhaps this is all much about nothing.  But if Matty-boy didn't like the negative talk on social media, etc, wait to what happens if he leaves his beloved alma matter two years into a rebuild for a freaking job at LSU.  I'd duck before walking back into Shea.

« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »

Rutgers was terrible when Rice arrived. Fred Hill was 13-57 in conference. Rice wasn't much better 16-38 but they were making progress. Robert Morris teams were tough.

Wasn't Hill supposedly a tremendous recruiter which is why he got the job.

« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2017, 02:56:57 PM »
Hill's a bad dude anyway.  Want no freaking part of him.

Perhaps this is all much about nothing.  But if Matty-boy didn't like the negative talk on social media, etc, wait to what happens if he leaves his beloved alma matter two years into a rebuild for a freaking job at LSU.  I'd duck before walking back into Shea.

Shea now a parking lot so won't have to duck that much :)

« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2017, 03:03:35 PM »

Rice also brought good talent to Rutgers.

« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »

He also threw basketballs at them

« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2017, 03:11:38 PM »

Ha!  Well, our team probably needed balls tossed at 'em for their defensive effort. 

« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »

Ha!  Well, our team probably needed balls tossed at 'em for their defensive effort. 

If Rice did come how long before he strangles ST Jean and takes the dry board away from him?

QuanMan

« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
Idk where he stands amidst all of this but Bronxite Rasheen Davis was Wade's lead recruiter, I'd swap him for Matt no problem. Key recruiter for Manhattan's back to back MAAC titles, maybe even stronger city ties than Matt has.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »

If Rice did come how long before he strangles ST Jean and takes the dry board away from him?

Just talked myself into Mike Rice hire. During TO Rice and ST Jean fight to the death over dry board as Mullin watches from scorers table and Richmond takes a nap.

Foad

« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2017, 03:58:56 PM »
our team probably needed balls tossed at 'em for their defensive effort. 

You could have stopped after balls.

derk

« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2017, 03:59:55 PM »
Brandon Tierney‏ @BrandonTierney

Re: @mabde33 and #LSU...Dude has SJU pumping thru his veins. School needs to step up, act like a player and do what it takes to retain him.

Bet they pay him.

You know they always bungle these situations. Hope they didn't tell Matt to bring his offer to them before he chooses. That never works. An intelligent organization jumps in and closes the deal. RIGHT NOW ! If it happens it is the death of this program.

University has known about this for a month.

That makes it even worse.

Marillac

« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »
Will Wade has now accepted three head coaching jobs in 4 years and Matt A didn't go with him the first two...why now? LSU is a tough gig. It's a distant third sport (basketball drew less than 9,000 fans per game in 15-16 while LSU baseball tallied nearly 500,000 fans for the season) in a self-proclaimed "drinking town with a football problem." Matt A's recruiting base is the northeast...LSU needs someone with deep connections to Baton Rouge, NOLA, Texas, and Florida. It's one thing to get northeast kids out to a basketball school like Iowa St. but a very different thing to get them down to a football school in a swamp in the deep south.

This sounds an awful lot like Matt feeding info for his own benefit.

Are you asking why Matt would consider joining Wade at LSU but not Chatanooga or VCU? $$$$

At Iowa State Matt has proven he could recruit to anywhere, and he's also one of the best in the business at playing the transfer game, which won't be hard to do at LSU.

If LSU is serious about turning their basketball program into a contender, they can offer Matt more $$ than our administration would match. With that type of financial resources and facilities, it would be far from difficult to succeed there.

VCU was a better job than LSU and SJU two years ago with the talented roster Shaka left behind. It was an obvious trampoline gig to get to a great job.  If Wade likes Matt so much, he could have offered him a higher assistant position than he has here. Matt leaks things to the press when it benefits him to do so. Why would this be any different?

I'd like Matt to remain here because I like his creative approach to recruiting...it is exactly what we need to get this program back on its feet.

« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
Will Wade has now accepted three head coaching jobs in 4 years and Matt A didn't go with him the first two...why now? LSU is a tough gig. It's a distant third sport (basketball drew less than 9,000 fans per game in 15-16 while LSU baseball tallied nearly 500,000 fans for the season) in a self-proclaimed "drinking town with a football problem." Matt A's recruiting base is the northeast...LSU needs someone with deep connections to Baton Rouge, NOLA, Texas, and Florida. It's one thing to get northeast kids out to a basketball school like Iowa St. but a very different thing to get them down to a football school in a swamp in the deep south.

This sounds an awful lot like Matt feeding info for his own benefit.

Are you asking why Matt would consider joining Wade at LSU but not Chatanooga or VCU? $$$$

At Iowa State Matt has proven he could recruit to anywhere, and he's also one of the best in the business at playing the transfer game, which won't be hard to do at LSU.

If LSU is serious about turning their basketball program into a contender, they can offer Matt more $$ than our administration would match. With that type of financial resources and facilities, it would be far from difficult to succeed there.

VCU was a better job than LSU and SJU two years ago with the talented roster Shaka left behind. It was an obvious trampoline gig to get to a great job.  If Wade likes Matt so much, he could have offered him a higher assistant position than he has here. Matt leaks things to the press when it benefits him to do so. Why would this be any different?

I'd like Matt to remain here because I like his creative approach to recruiting...it is exactly what we need to get this program back on its feet.

I agree with everything you said besides VCU being better job than LSU.

I have a million reasons why it isn't.

« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2017, 04:49:30 PM »
Personally, I think he's gone, so get Rice on the horn.  If Rice or anyone else takes the job, we're also gonna need another recruiter.  We're gonna need two bonafied recruiters.  We also need to cast a wider net.

Foad

« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2017, 04:52:11 PM »
I have a million reasons why it isn't.

Half a million maybe, Smart made 1.5.

VCU is one of those jobs that people succeed at and then fail when they leave. Siena is the same way. Mack McCarthy was .53 percent at VCU and 34–57 afterwards. Capel won 80 games in 4 years at VCU and is 14 and 36 his last two. Anthony Grant was .70 percent at VCU and is 31-33 his last two at Alabama. Smart was .70 percent at VCU and is 31–35 at Texas. It's not easy to go from the minors to the majors.