Matt A

• 695 replies
Re: Matt A
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »
For all those skeptical about Mike Rice and his past: the dude has done all the right things since the incidents.  He has taken full accountability and apologized.  He has undergone counseling, attended John Lucas's program. He has met with LGBT groups and apologized to them.  He humbled himself by starting back at the bottom rung of basketball by holding Hoop Group workouts for teens and adolescents, then by working as an assistant for a HS team.  To me, hes done all the right things and deserves another chance.

He is highly regarded as a coach in the industry, hes well liked by his current HS players and he also coaches 3 of the 2018 targets we are going after.  He is a strong teacher on the defensive end of the floor and a strong player developer.  He is absolutely the perfect fit for what this program needs.  Hire Mike Rice!!
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2017, 05:22:37 PM »
For all those skeptical about Mike Rice and his past: the dude has done all the right things since the incidents.  He has taken full accountability and apologized.  He has undergone counseling, attended John Lucas's program. He has met with LGBT groups and apologized to them.  He humbled himself by starting back at the bottom rung of basketball by holding Hoop Group workouts for teens and adolescents, then by working as an assistant for a HS team.  To me, hes done all the right things and deserves another chance.

He is highly regarded as a coach in the industry, hes well liked by his current HS players and he also coaches 3 of the 2018 targets we are going after.  He is a strong teacher on the defensive end of the floor and a strong player developer.  He is absolutely the perfect fit for what this program needs.  Hire Mike Rice!!

He should be hired no matter what happens with this other guy

« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »

Ellison and Ahmed might test his rehabilitation.

« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2017, 05:36:56 PM »
Simple:  Fire Richmond; Pay Matt.

« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2017, 05:40:05 PM »

I doubt Mullin fires his buddy.  Even if he did, then he better find a way to bring another African-American on his staff.  Frankly, Rice is what this staff probably needs, as he'll aide with the nuances of the game and can even recruit.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:42:11 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2017, 05:40:05 PM »

This is why he is not well liked by his peers
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:40:20 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »
It's been rumored Matt makes anywhere between 250-350K. Let's not act like he isn't well compensated here.

paultzman

« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2017, 05:58:43 PM »

Agree

MCNPA

« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2017, 06:02:39 PM »
1) Matt makes good money, and is a solid recruiter.  He's using an angle to make more.  Nothing wrong with it, but maybe a bit distasteful after 2 losing seasons.  I think he'd be better for it after showing he can get some of the 18' class landed.  At this point it's hard to justify any significant raise.  He's done a solid job thus far but it's real early.

2) Mike Rice would be great in an assistant role on ur bench regardless of what happens with Matt.  I've heard great things about Rice.  I know he had a meltdown, but I don't see that happening again.  He repented, players love him, he's a tireless worker and can both recruit and coach.   He'd make a perfect assistant honestly. 

3) losing Matt at this point would be very problematic because of the way we are set up.  Matt is our main and ONlY recruiter.  We lose our only recruiter, and we have nothing entering the 18' class.   In my opinion, every team needs two solid recruiters.  It prevents this type of problem.   We have too many guys here that are non-recruiters.  Usually teams are set up with a HC, an assistant HC that assists in coaching and also is a significant part of recruiting, and another assistant that mainly recruits.  Right now we are between a rock and a hard place.  Regardless on whether we throw money at Matt now, we need to trade Richmond for a guy that can both coach and recruit. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:13:56 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »
What a mess.  Mullin sides with Matt over Slice, and a year later both are gone.  Now he is left with a buddy who is also a novice at this game and a mid-20s assistant.  Needs to get some advice from an outsider as to how to restart this process.

Mullin sided with Mullin.

No doubt, but now here we are without 2 of the 3 assistants he initially hired to right this ship.  He needs to get a third party neutral perspective because this is obviously a turning point in his coaching career.  I would think Mike Rice is an ideal hire here, but more than just that probably needs to be done.  We will see.

When did Mike Rice become Red Auerbach? Besides being a certifiable nut job, he was wildly unsuccessful at Rutgers!
Would rather hire Fred Hill away from Seton Hall

Rutgers was terrible when Rice arrived. Fred Hill was 13-57 in conference. Rice wasn't much better 16-38 but they were making progress. Robert Morris teams were tough.

Wasn't Hill supposedly a tremendous recruiter which is why he got the job.

Rice also brought good talent to Rutgers.

He also threw basketballs at them
see it all depends on how you look at that video. To me it's inconclusive if he has 2018 recruits in his pocket. You see him throwing basketballs at players and I see Hand-Eye Coordination drills

« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2017, 06:20:42 PM »
If you can dodge a wrench.....
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

sju89tr

« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »
Keep Matt
Hire Mike Rice
Make Mitch a Special Assistant

« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
Keep Matt
Hire Mike Rice

I'd have no issues with that whatsoever.  Frankly, that should be the route they go.

« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »
This is what I would do. A special assistant can work with players in practice and that is the appeal of Mitch to prospective recruits.

I'm a die hard as you all know but hardly an insider. From the outside, Matt seems like a great up and coming recruiter.  But my knowledge is based on what folks in the media (perhaps who he is friends with) and respected posters like Dave or Paultz say. Has nothing to do with him being an alum or anything of that kind. Other good posters are obviously on the other side of this and think we can replace easily. 

MCNPA

« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »
Keep Matt
Hire Mike Rice

I'm fine with that.  Would be a great setup to me. 

« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »
Keep Matt
Hire Mike Rice

That's exactly how they should be thinking.

goredmen

« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
Keep Matt
Hire Mike Rice

That's exactly how they should be thinking.

Unfortunately they never actually think like they should

« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »

No. Not the answer at all.

No one wants that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »
Keep Matt
Hire Mike Rice

This would be ideal in my opinion. Not sure it will shake out like that though.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
Matt isn't worth 450k. Simple as that.  He's good but that is upper echelon assistant money. Joe3 could get guys to campus to visit Mullin and Richmond.

Hire Michael Porter Sr. and get the #1 player in 2017, the #26 player in 2018, and maybe some coaching ability.