Matt A

• 695 replies

Poison

Re: Matt A
« Reply #240 on: March 22, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
I am probably in the minority around but I don't think Matt A is as great as many on here. If he really wants to leave then let him go....

If he walks before he gets the program back to a strong level, and after all of his SJU bravada, he looks terrible in the basketball community.

LSU is a step down IMO. We're on a better trajectory than them and we also happen to have a significantly higher cost of living. A man should be able to look at his job options while appreciating the one he has. Don't you agree?

« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2017, 10:17:19 AM »
I am probably in the minority around but I don't think Matt A is as great as many on here. If he really wants to leave then let him go....

If he walks before he gets the program back to a strong level, and after all of his SJU bravada, he looks terrible in the basketball community.
u r not alone

derk

« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
I think you can appreciate second chances and still want SJU to pass on Mike Rice.

He may be a changed man.  But it was more than one incident, it was a pattern of behavior that occurred over years and years that earned him his reputation.

Why roll the dice to find out if he can control his temper when there are other candidates who can be the asst coach we need ?

I don't think we should be the first school that hires him. We have enough problems that crop up seemingly out of nowhere. Too risky for us to take that chance.

sju89tr

« Reply #243 on: March 22, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
I think you can appreciate second chances and still want SJU to pass on Mike Rice.

He may be a changed man.  But it was more than one incident, it was a pattern of behavior that occurred over years and years that earned him his reputation.

Why roll the dice to find out if he can control his temper when there are other candidates who can be the asst coach we need ?

I don't think we should be the first school that hires him. We have enough problems that crop up seemingly out of nowhere. Too risky for us to take that chance.

M aybe he is a changed man. Perhaps he can help us. If it doesn't work out, you part ways. 

pmg911

« Reply #244 on: March 22, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »

If he can deliver some of those St. Patrick kids in the next few classes, I am all for it

« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2017, 01:23:17 PM »
It's been rumored Matt makes anywhere between 250-350K. Let's not act like he isn't well compensated here.

Exactly, besides he signed the #$%^ing contract. How about honoring it. No one forced him to sign it.

I hate when they sign contracts, then in the middle of it they want more.

St.John's hasn't signed anyone in over a year.

Well considering 2018 class can't sign till November you are correct.

Come on Dave, it's not unreasonable to question what's going on.

Take a look at scholarship table- http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=928.0

You do realize as of right now there is only 1 scholarship open. There are 3 open for 2018 and one player is already committed.

What are your expectations?

I think by now the players who are staying sans Lovett, who aren't looking to transfer, should know if they are staying or going. I think the staff should have already addressed this by now. Players are becoming available now.
If players leave that would open up ships for new kids.

How do you know if they have or haven't?

Do you think the staff isn't prepared for scenarios A,B, and C?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2017, 01:36:20 PM »

I don't think that to be true. If St. John's has a good to very good year with or without him he'll get some credit for putting together majority of the roster. In basketball circles St. John's is often credited to having a talented roster.

To the contrary he might look terrible to some of the St. John's community however I think all of this is being blown way out of proportion.

This thread was created a while back that this might be a possibility and its a part of the biz. I think everything will get worked out and St. John's will be just fine.

derk

« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »

M aybe he is a changed man. Perhaps he can help us. If it doesn't work out, you part ways. 

This school can't afford any more screw ups. Let some other school adopt the "perhaps" theory and take the gamble. We should not be the first school to hire him. Each screw up sets us back. We've had enough screw ups , losing Barry R and possible Matt A.

pmg911

« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2017, 03:16:49 PM »

I don't think that to be true. If St. John's has a good to very good year with or without him he'll get some credit for putting together majority of the roster. In basketball circles St. John's is often credited to having a talented roster.

To the contrary he might look terrible to some of the St. John's community however I think all of this is being blown way out of proportion.

This thread was created a while back that this might be a possibility and its a part of the biz. I think everything will get worked out and St. John's will be just fine.

Very nicely worded way to say that you think he might leave and if he does, all will be ok - LOL

QuanMan

« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »
Concerning the Rice/St.Pat's connection, aren't there certain restrictions surrounding HS coaches and the immediate years that they take on a position as it relates to recruiting their former players? Wasn't there a Mo Hicks/Harkless temporary stoppage in 2010?

"Earlier this summer, Hicks was questioned by the NCAA in connection with incoming St. John’s recruit Maurice Harkless.
Harkless played his AAU career predominantly with the New York Panthers, but played two events in 2010 with the New York Gauchos, where Hicks served as director prior to coming to St. John’s.
At issue was whether Hicks was considered by the NCAA an “individual associated with a prospect,” or IAWP as it relates to Harkless.
In July, the NCAA decided Hicks was not because of their limited relationship, and Harkless was cleared."

Hicks and Curtis Kelly's connection at Rice prevented us from picking up his transfer from Kansas St. as well if I remember correctly?

Doesn't a coach have to be hired as a AC not DOBO to prevent such things? I know Willard took advantage of the loophole somehow with the Lincoln coop (Tiny/Whitehead/Desi), and it's been done at other schools (Memphis/Miami/AZ) etc.

Someone please clarify the loophole for me, thanks fellas.
Section 3
Section 116

pmg911

« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2017, 04:19:08 PM »
Concerning the Rice/St.Pat's connection, aren't there certain restrictions surrounding HS coaches and the immediate years that they take on a position as it relates to recruiting their former players? Wasn't there a Mo Hicks/Harkless temporary stoppage in 2010?

"Earlier this summer, Hicks was questioned by the NCAA in connection with incoming St. John’s recruit Maurice Harkless.
Harkless played his AAU career predominantly with the New York Panthers, but played two events in 2010 with the New York Gauchos, where Hicks served as director prior to coming to St. John’s.
At issue was whether Hicks was considered by the NCAA an “individual associated with a prospect,” or IAWP as it relates to Harkless.
In July, the NCAA decided Hicks was not because of their limited relationship, and Harkless was cleared."

Hicks and Curtis Kelly's connection at Rice prevented us from picking up his transfer from Kansas St. as well if I remember correctly?

Doesn't a coach have to be hired as a AC not DOBO to prevent such things? I know Willard took advantage of the loophole somehow with the Lincoln coop (Tiny/Whitehead/Desi), and it's been done at other schools (Memphis/Miami/AZ) etc.

I think those rules have changed because SHU hired Tiny Morton and immediately took two Lincoln players

« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2017, 04:50:50 PM »
Its because Hicks was DOBO.  No restrictions if the coach hired is one of the 3 full time assistants.   At least that is what it used to be.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2017, 05:10:03 PM »

Very nicely worded way to say that you think he might leave and if he does, all will be ok - LOL

I don't think he leaves.

However if he leaves of course the beat goes on but we are better with than without.

QuanMan

« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2017, 05:43:09 PM »
Its because Hicks was DOBO.  No restrictions if the coach hired is one of the 3 full time assistants.   At least that is what it used to be.

Right, so if Rice were to be hired it would have to be as a assistant, assuming we want to take advantage of his immediate 2018-19 Jersey recruiting connections. Meaning one of the highly expensive current AC's would either have to be demoted or bought out, which isn't happening in light of the recent Slice buyout and Abs raise. Seeing as how the school is scaling back and restricting their finances throughout the school, lets hope that we have a hefty donor stipend in order to afford another AC.
Section 3
Section 116

Moose

« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2017, 06:09:02 PM »

Right, so if Rice were to be hired it would have to be as a assistant, assuming we want to take advantage of his immediate 2018-19 Jersey recruiting connections. Meaning one of the highly expensive current AC's would either have to be demoted or bought out, which isn't happening in light of the recent Slice buyout and Abs raise. Seeing as how the school is scaling back and restricting their finances throughout the school, lets hope that we have a hefty donor stipend in order to afford another AC.

Everyone calls him Matt but you're going to go with Abs?
Remember who broke the Slice news

QuanMan

« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »

Everyone calls him Matt but you're going to go with Abs?

Lmao yessir!
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »
PMG is right. And it was MoMo for sure that we couldn't get because of Hicks.

Irony is that Lavin still has a job if he hired Tiny and Willard would be elsewhere. Not sure if Antigua ever approached Lavin but he brought Angel and to a degree Carrington to the Hall. I was critical at time but it worked out splendidly for Willard.

Will say there is a big difference between hiring Rice versus Tiny and Antigua.  You hire Rice because of his ability as a coach and recruiter going forward.  Tiny and Antigua are guys with checkered pasts retained to bring players in the short term and nothing more. Totally different situations.

I think those rules have changed because SHU hired Tiny Morton and immediately took two Lincoln players

« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »
And I don't want this to get lost. I want to see a change to the staff. Whether it's Matt or Mitch I don't care. If Matt wants more and he's the only one on the road then give him the money and trim the other fat. Can't have two high priced assistants like we do. So regardless of my feelings towards any one person I am all for a reshuffle however it shakes out the money tree

Changes are coming and for the better...

isham

« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
If Matt feels he's coming up empty on his 2018 recruits expect him to run off to LSU.

« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »
Having trolls bashing our primary recruiter at every opportunity is an ideal way to guarantee that our 2018 recruiting class meets our expectations.