Re: Matt A
« Reply #440 on: May 03, 2017, 11:00:56 PM »
Matt Abdelmassih
 One 🚪 shuts and another opens. Chance favors the aggressor #life

Something? Nothing? Hmm
Lately it's been nothing.

« Reply #441 on: May 03, 2017, 11:04:16 PM »
He posted that chance quote last month too.

He also posted "you can expect a big that will help"

At least he was vague enough to not say what year
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:05:24 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #442 on: May 04, 2017, 01:35:04 AM »
I have tried to stay positive but this really baffles me. How do we expect to land anyone when we have 1 guy recruiting everyone? How has another coach to help out not been hired? What on earth are they waiting for? They are going to waste the talent of this team because of no complimentary pieces. Very frustrating

Marillac

« Reply #443 on: May 04, 2017, 02:10:24 AM »
As much as it sucks to be recruiting this poorly, it's nice that it's no longer taboo to question Matt A as a recruiter.

Ponds Simon Lovett Clark Ahmed Yakwe Owens =  "recruiting this poorly." Shut up.

You're right we're in great shape. NCAA's here we come. Who did we land out of our frontcourt targets in 2017?

I am not happy with the front court situation, but we have a really impressive core. It's probably the best in almost 20 years for us. It'd be a shame to waste it with such a glaring hole down low. We don't even need a star...just someone that can hold his ground.

« Reply #444 on: May 04, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »
As much as it sucks to be recruiting this poorly, it's nice that it's no longer taboo to question Matt A as a recruiter.

Ponds Simon Lovett Clark Ahmed Yakwe Owens =  "recruiting this poorly." Shut up.

You're right we're in great shape. NCAA's here we come. Who did we land out of our frontcourt targets in 2017?

I am not happy with the front court situation, but we have a really impressive core. It's probably the best in almost 20 years for us. It'd be a shame to waste it with such a glaring hole down low. We don't even need a star...just someone that can hold his ground.

I like our core too. My only point was it was a complete failure on the part of our lead recruiter to be unable to land even a 2 star rebounding power forward to help our core group. If you want to keep patting him on the back for assisting in bringing in our core group, fine. But as I said, recruiting a rebounding PF to play with Ponds and Lovett in a high major conference for Chris Mullin should have been a very easy thing to do. Especially for a recruiter who is apparently not "recruiting this poorly"

Foad

« Reply #445 on: May 04, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »

I like our core too. My only point was it was a complete failure on the part of our lead recruiter to be unable to land even a 2 star rebounding power forward to help our core group. If you want to keep patting him on the back for assisting in bringing in our core group, fine. But as I said, recruiting a rebounding PF to play with Ponds and Lovett in a high major conference for Chris Mullin should have been a very easy thing to do. Especially for a recruiter who is apparently not "recruiting this poorly"

How many two star recruits would he have to bring in to make you happy. Just the one or do you want a bunch.

Wods317

« Reply #446 on: May 04, 2017, 10:31:20 AM »

This is the probably the most sensible opinion to have. I think we have a very nice team coming back and could be a bubble team if we gel quickly but yes we seem to be one capable big body away from having a very solid 1-9. I hope we will fill this need because this teams top 8 has a lot of talent and with no freshman in the mix this is a team that has some experience as well.

« Reply #447 on: May 04, 2017, 10:35:55 AM »

What he said!

« Reply #448 on: May 04, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »

How many two star recruits would he have to bring in to make you happy. Just the one or do you want a bunch.

I'd settle for a frontcourt player who averages more than three and a half rebounds. I guess my expectations are sky high
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:45:37 AM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #449 on: May 04, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
Only disagreement I have is that while talent level is better than it has been it is predominantly guards and wings which is going to put us at a disadvantage against some teams where we will just have very little chance to win.
Also core talent will become significantly weaker the next year when Lovett and Ahmed leave. It is not like we are set up for multiple years. Basically need to make tourney next year which is far from a def.

paultzman

« Reply #450 on: May 04, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »
Only disagreement I have is that while talent level is better than it has been it is predominantly guards and wings which is going to put us at a disadvantage against some teams where we will just have very little chance to win.
Also core talent will become significantly weaker the next year when Lovett and Ahmed leave. It is not like we are set up for multiple years. Basically need to make tourney next year which is far from a def.

+1

QuanMan

« Reply #451 on: May 04, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #452 on: May 04, 2017, 11:41:57 AM »
Let's hope Owens and Clark don't do the Grad transfer thing as well.

« Reply #453 on: May 04, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »
The team that went to the elite eight had tyrone grant at 6'7" Patrolling  the middle. This team next year is going to be good. They just have to make a commitment to playing defense.

Johnny23

« Reply #454 on: May 04, 2017, 11:59:47 AM »
The team that went to the elite eight had tyrone grant at 6'7" Patrolling  the middle. This team next year is going to be good. They just have to make a commitment to playing defense.

They also had tough guys on that team. Grant, Jessie, Artest, Postell, Glover were all very physical and did the dirty work on the boards. This team isn't nearly as physically tough. Owens and Clark will need help.

« Reply #455 on: May 04, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »

Get in Delorean and bring Grant back and we make the tourney. Also forgetting 6-7 Artest was built like brick $hit house and Postell could jump and  was tough kid.
Also as good as backcourt might be next year Bootsy and Barkley were better.
Terrible comparison.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:02:34 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #456 on: May 04, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »

They also had tough guys on that team. Grant, Jessie, Artest, Postell, Glover were all very physical and did the dirty work on the boards. This team isn't nearly as physically tough. Owens and Clark will need help.

Glover didn't play with Grant or Artest, but I get you drift.  You also forgot to add Thornton into that equation. 

For the most part, that particular team was not only talented, but they were also blue-collar players.  They did all the "little things" that mattered.  They also played smartly. 

Marillac

« Reply #457 on: May 04, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »

They also had two first round NBA forwards, a first round PG, and Bootsy.  Artest was 6'7 260 and probably the strongest kid in the country. Postell was the best offensive rebounder from the three I've ever seen at St. John's by a mile as well.

You can win with a small team if you have nasty forwards or if you dominate the on both sides of the perimeter game. We don't have a dominant defense and I would not classify Ahmed as that type of forward. Perhaps Simon can be that guy in time, but I doubt it's next season.

Jarvis wasn't  a good X's and O's coach, but he did make sure his bigs were strong and bulky, that four guys hit the glass hard on both ends, played tough defense, and could all catch the ball. That really goes a long way.

« Reply #458 on: May 04, 2017, 12:53:17 PM »

They also had two first round NBA forwards, a first round PG, and Bootsy.  Artest was 6'7 260 and probably the strongest kid in the country. Postell was the best offensive rebounder from the three I've ever seen at St. John's by a mile as well.

You can win with a small team if you have nasty forwards or if you dominate the on both sides of the perimeter game. We don't have a dominant defense and I would not classify Ahmed as that type of forward. Perhaps Simon can be that guy in time, but I doubt it's next season.

Jarvis wasn't  a good X's and O's coach, but he did make sure his bigs were strong and bulky, that four guys hit the glass hard on both ends, played tough defense, and could all catch the ball. That really goes a long way.

Artest could possibly be 260 lbs now, but he wasn't that big at St. John's.  The rest of your post has some merit.   

« Reply #459 on: May 04, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »

That might have very well been best ST john's team I have seen. At least close second to Final Four team. Comparing any ST John's team to them is silly let alone team coming off 13 win season.