Matt A

• 695 replies
Re: Matt A
« Reply #300 on: March 23, 2017, 10:42:22 PM »
Zagoria: Matt is staying at @StJohnsBBall and not going to LSU.

I still hope they bring in another assistant who will recruit and aide in the coaching department.

Well Fordham alluded to something. No?

He may have.  I can't really recall.

Here is what I heard and to be honest it is all positive.
1) Matt was staying.
2) Lovett is also staying and
3) A new staff member is definitely in play.

Hope you're right and the Lovett came to his senses

We are all taking comfort in the fact that you "hope" I am right.   ::)

Damn right you are

I'll sleep better tonight.

MCNPA

« Reply #301 on: March 23, 2017, 10:55:47 PM »
Well those all sound like huge positives.  Hopefully they all come true. We land a great 18' class, and we get into some sort of cycle of normalcy moving forward.  Year 2 of a rebuild entering year 3 is exactly when we can't afford this stuff to happen. Year 5 or 6 we can absorb these hits a little better..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:56:43 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #302 on: March 23, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
Zagoria: Matt is staying at @StJohnsBBall and not going to LSU.

I still hope they bring in another assistant who will recruit and aide in the coaching department.

Well Fordham alluded to something. No?

He may have.  I can't really recall.

Here is what I heard and to be honest it is all positive.
1) Matt was staying.
2) Lovett is also staying and
3) A new staff member is definitely in play.

TREMENDOUS NEWS.
on a personal note I also have TREMENDOUS NEWS
1) Wife staying
2) Dog staying
3) Mistress in play (possibly Jessica Alba or Megan Fox)

« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »
St. Jean just joined twitter and is following Fordham

Moose

« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2017, 08:20:33 AM »

The school or the poster !
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »

The school or the poster !

The D2 school

TONYD3

« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »
I would hope Mitch wants to go back to special assistant and they can hire a second recruiter/coach type person.

This is beyond absurd. We are hoping Richmond accepts a demotion I assume with full pay. So we can pay someone else to coach and recruit. 

All of our guards excelled on offense and we shot lights out. Coincidence? Let him be a face
of the program and work with the guards. His heart isn't in it to be out recruiting like a full-time assistant. What's so absurd about keeping him and bringing in a guy like Rice?
If he gets credit for the offense then he deserves the blame for the lack of defense. Honestly I don't disagree with you guys. I hope Richmond stays under the current situation. I also want an experiment coach added to the team. I want to win. I don't care who is coaching.
But it really bothers me that Mullin gets such a pass. He should have hired someone 2 years ago.

MCNPA

« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
I would hope Mitch wants to go back to special assistant and they can hire a second recruiter/coach type person.

This is beyond absurd. We are hoping Richmond accepts a demotion I assume with full pay. So we can pay someone else to coach and recruit. 

All of our guards excelled on offense and we shot lights out. Coincidence? Let him be a face
of the program and work with the guards. His heart isn't in it to be out recruiting like a full-time assistant. What's so absurd about keeping him and bringing in a guy like Rice?
If he gets credit for the offense then he deserves the blame for the lack of defense. Honestly I don't disagree with you guys. I hope Richmond stays under the current situation. I also want an experiment coach added to the team. I want to win. I don't care who is coaching.
But it really bothers me that Mullin gets such a pass. He should have hired someone 2 years ago.

He did hire somebody 2 years ago.... Slice.  He just needs to be replaced.  An experiment coach?.  Wtf is that?  Richmond would be better for us at a lower role.  We need somebody that can both recruit and help with the coaching stuff.  I still like a hire like Mike Rice.  He's organized, well liked by his players in general spare past incidents, and has great work ethic.  He also has a ton of tri-state recruiting connections.  He can help both with coaching duties and recruiting.  There are others as well, but Rice is just sitting there, likely won't find his redemption as a head coach any time soon, and I think could really offer a lot.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:29:09 AM by MCNPA »

desco80

« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »

I agree.  No downside if he's willing to be a special assistant.

Poison

« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »

He did hire somebody 2 years ago.... Slice.  He just needs to be replaced.  An experiment coach?.  Wtf is that?  Richmond would be better for us at a lower role.  We need somebody that can both recruit and help with the coaching stuff.  I still like a hire like Mike Rice.  He's organized, well liked by his players in general spare past incidents, and has great work ethic.  He also has a ton of tri-state recruiting connections.  He can help both with coaching duties and recruiting.  There are others as well, but Rice is just sitting there, likely won't find his redemption as a head coach any time soon, and I think could really offer a lot.

I like what Rice has done being fired from Rutgers. Unlike Bobby Knight, he seems to genuinely be sorry for how he treated people. No one here knows if he genuinely is, but I think it's pretty presumptuous of us to assume that most of his former players like him. Ad don't know that.

And to be clear I'm not arguing in favor of or against hiring Rice. IDK if he's a changed man.

My concern with this staff is in the amount of risk they are willing to entertain. Livingston, Brown and now Rice could represent a poor example of learning from your mistakes as an institution. They had better be damn sure that Mike Rice is a different person now.

MCNPA

« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »

I like what Rice has done being fired from Rutgers. Unlike Bobby Knight, he seems to genuinely be sorry for how he treated people. No one here knows if he genuinely is, but I think it's pretty presumptuous of us to assume that most of his former players like him. Ad don't know that.

And to be clear I'm not arguing in favor of or against hiring Rice. IDK if he's a changed man.

My concern with this staff is in the amount of risk they are willing to entertain. Livingston, Brown and now Rice could represent a poor example of learning from your mistakes as an institution. They had better be damn sure that Mike Rice is a different person now.

Truth is it doesn't have to be Mike Rice.   I think his name came up a lot because he's local, out of a job, has experience and recruiting ties.  I don't think it needs to be him, but as recent evidence with Matt's situation indicates, we need a yin to his yang on the recruiting trail.  We can't be hostage to an assistant potentially leaving in the future, and we certainly could use some experience on the sideline. 

While losing Slice didn't kill us, we never replaced him, and ran into trouble.  Definitely need another upper level assistant that has experience and recruiting ties.  Jim Calhoun relied on Blane.  Pitino on Willard, amongst others.  Doesn't have to be Rice but we'd be smart to have somebody like that on board.

« Reply #311 on: March 24, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »
Losing Slice didn't kill us? We have zero recruits

« Reply #312 on: March 24, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »

We have a full roster of mostly underclassmen.

goredmen

« Reply #313 on: March 24, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »

If we had 2017 recruits committed where would the scholarships for transfers come from?

MCNPA

« Reply #314 on: March 24, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
We also have two highly rated transfers on roster, and Diakite for 2018.  I think it's only a matter of time before we land more.  That including ponds, Lovett etc.  I think we have a very solid, young roster.  We definitely need a big 2018 class though.

« Reply #315 on: March 24, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »

If we had 2017 recruits committed where would the scholarships for transfers come from?

You recruit over players, like big boy programs do

« Reply #316 on: March 24, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »

We have a full roster of mostly underclassmen.

Ellison,Mussini,Williams,Ahmed,Owens, Amar, Yakwe are not underclassmen anymore. Stop.using that as a crutch

goredmen

« Reply #317 on: March 24, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »

Yeah, maybe Slice would have landed another Durand Johnson. That would have been swell

« Reply #318 on: March 24, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »

Yeah, maybe Slice would have landed another Durand Johnson. That would have been swell

Yet we talk here like a transfer from Green Bay is exactly what we need

« Reply #319 on: March 24, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »
Isn't Rowsey from Marquette a transfer for a mid-tier D-I school?  He is a pretty good player - no?  I believe you are a big fan.

I have no idea if the kid from Green Bay is any good.  But I don't want to write off anyone, especially senior grad transfers, because older more experienced/developed kids from mid-level schools have shown they can be contributors in bigger conferences.