Matt A

• 695 replies

QuanMan

Re: Matt A
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »
So Fordham96 breaks the news that Marcus is staying, and no one wants to discuss this? Incessant whining on end for days after the rumors that Marcus and Abs are leaving, now we have two positive developments within two days and crickets.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:21:45 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »
Losing Slice didn't kill us? We have zero recruits

If we had 2017 recruits committed where would the scholarships for transfers come from?

You recruit over players, like big boy programs do

Yeah, maybe Slice would have landed another Durand Johnson. That would have been swell

Yet we talk here like a transfer from Green Bay is exactly what we need

Xavier has transfers from Florida A&M and Norfolk State playing important minutes for them. Florida has a transfer from College of Charleston playing important minutes for them. They must be terrible recruiting programs to have to pick up transfers from schools like that

« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2017, 01:06:53 PM »
Isn't Rowsey from Marquette a transfer for a mid-tier D-I school?  He is a pretty good player - no?  I believe you are a big fan.

I have no idea if the kid from Green Bay is any good.  But I don't want to write off anyone, especially senior grad transfers, because older more experienced/developed kids from mid-level schools have shown they can be contributors in bigger conferences.

You missed my point. Goredmen blasted Slice for Durand  Johnson.

LoganK

« Reply #323 on: March 24, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »

We have a full roster of mostly underclassmen.

Ellison,Mussini,Williams,Ahmed,Owens, Amar, Yakwe are not underclassmen anymore. Stop.using that as a crutch
Except that they are...

« Reply #324 on: March 24, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »

Ellison,Mussini,Williams,Ahmed,Owens, Amar, Yakwe are not underclassmen anymore. Stop.using that as a crutch
Except that they are...

Were

LoganK

« Reply #325 on: March 24, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »

Except that they are...

Were
My mistake.  I was unaware the 2017-2018 season had already begun.  Did Lovett come back?  Did St. Jean take a coaching position somewhere else?  I can't believe I missed 8 months...

« Reply #326 on: March 24, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »

Except that they are...

Were
My mistake.  I was unaware the 2017-2018 season had already begun.  Did Lovett come back?  Did St. Jean take a coaching position somewhere else?  I can't believe I missed 8 months...

Not sure if anyone told you, but the season is over buddy.

« Reply #327 on: March 24, 2017, 01:14:02 PM »

If we had 2017 recruits committed where would the scholarships for transfers come from?

You fundamentally don't understand, 5th year transfers are not the same as traditional transfers nor should they be viewed that way.

2 years ago Louisville got an ENTIRE BACKCOURT from lower level grad transfers.  Damion Lee from Drexel and Trey Lewis from Cleveland St.  Louisville dude, Rick Pitino.  John Gillon transferred to Syracuse for 1 season from Colorado St. and started immediately.

This has nothing to do with recruiting over people. 

Now when you have a pretty full roster in terms of not many scholarships available and you need a player or two to bridge the next year and that can IMMEDIATELY help you even if they come from a lower conference, than the grad transfer market is ideal. 

And what other choice do they have?  You are acting like 4 and 5 star kids are readily available this late in the game, they aren't. And if you want to talk about 2018 kids, fine, except they do SJU no good until 2018.

« Reply #328 on: March 24, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »

You fundamentally don't understand, 5th year transfers are not the same as traditional transfers nor should they be viewed that way.

2 years ago Louisville got an ENTIRE BACKCOURT from lower level grad transfers.  Damion Lee from Drexel and Trey Lewis from Cleveland St.  Louisville dude, Rick Pitino.  John Gillon transferred to Syracuse for 1 season from Colorado St. and started immediately.

Now when you have a pretty full roster in terms of not many scholarships available and you need a player or two to bridge the next year and that can IMMEDIATELY help you even if they come from a lower conference, than the grad transfer market is ideal. 

And what other choice do they have?  You are acting like 4 and 5 star kids are readily available this late in the game, they aren't. And if you want to talk about 2018 kids, fine, except they do SJU no good until 2018.

Were 4 and 5 star kids available a few months back, a year ago for this class? Pressure is on the recruiter. He's recruited an 8th place team that didn't make the C tournament.  And he got a raise.

« Reply #329 on: March 24, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »

They all have scholarships and at least 1 year left.  It's not a crutch.  Our roster is full, and 2018 has (rightfully) been the focus for over a year.

I understand your friends are upset about Slice, and I agree that it was a suspect strategic move for the program.  We all get you don't like Matt.  It might be time to take a break from the board - the offseason just started.

« Reply #330 on: March 24, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »

Were 4 and 5 star kids available a few months back, a year ago for this class? Pressure is on the recruiter. He's recruited an 8th place team that didn't make the C tournament.  And he got a raise.

I don't understand do you want to replay the last two years with a different staff and different players?  You are making the case to fire the staff. 

Which is fine but don't cloak in trying to make yourself sound reasonable with your arguments against 5th year transfers.  Your all over the map.  You say these kids are not worth going after because they are lower level, then when you are shot down on that argument you return to the idea that the team finished in 8th place as if we can do anything about what just happened. I don't know if you are familiar with reality but things that ALREADY HAPPENED cannot be changed no matter how much you complain about the fact they happened.

goredmen

« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »

It was year 2 of a complete rebuild. Anybody that actually has some sense would see that Matt has done all that has been asked of him up to this point. Slice without Matt wouldn't have gotten to the NCAA Tournament in year 2 as the only recruiter, that's a fact. They also wouldn't have made the tournament this season with both Slice and Matt. There's actually a foundation for the program to build around now. If the team still doesn't make the tournament after years 3 + 4 and strikes out on the 2018 class then it would be fair to question Matt and the staff's ability to bring in talent. But nobody would have done better than 8th place in year 2 of a complete rebuild at St. John's

derk

« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
I would hope Mitch wants to go back to special assistant and they can hire a second recruiter/coach type person.

This is beyond absurd. We are hoping Richmond accepts a demotion I assume with full pay. So we can pay someone else to coach and recruit. 

All of our guards excelled on offense and we shot lights out. Coincidence? Let him be a face
of the program and work with the guards. His heart isn't in it to be out recruiting like a full-time assistant. What's so absurd about keeping him and bringing in a guy like Rice?
If he gets credit for the offense then he deserves the blame for the lack of defense. Honestly I don't disagree with you guys. I hope Richmond stays under the current situation. I also want an experiment coach added to the team. I want to win. I don't care who is coaching.
But it really bothers me that Mullin gets such a pass. He should have hired someone 2 years ago.

He did hire somebody 2 years ago.... Slice.  He just needs to be replaced.  An experiment coach?.  Wtf is that?  Richmond would be better for us at a lower role.  We need somebody that can both recruit and help with the coaching stuff.  I still like a hire like Mike Rice.  He's organized, well liked by his players in general spare past incidents, and has great work ethic.  He also has a ton of tri-state recruiting connections.  He can help both with coaching duties and recruiting.  There are others as well, but Rice is just sitting there, likely won't find his redemption as a head coach any time soon, and I think could really offer a lot.

I like what Rice has done being fired from Rutgers. Unlike Bobby Knight, he seems to genuinely be sorry for how he treated people. No one here knows if he genuinely is, but I think it's pretty presumptuous of us to assume that most of his former players like him. Ad don't know that.

And to be clear I'm not arguing in favor of or against hiring Rice. IDK if he's a changed man.

My concern with this staff is in the amount of risk they are willing to entertain. Livingston, Brown and now Rice could represent a poor example of learning from your mistakes as an institution. They had better be damn sure that Mike Rice is a different person now.

Which is why I've said we should not be the first school to hire him. A miscalculation could devastate this program. There are others out there. No ?

« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »

So Fordham96 breaks the news that Marcus is staying, and no one wants to discuss this? Incessant whining on end for days after the rumors that Marcus and Abs are leaving, now we have two positive developments within two days and crickets.

Baldi...always on point!  ;D

« Reply #334 on: March 24, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »
Why do folks keep taking the bait when Baldi goes into troll mode?  And in re: to Matt he is always in troll mode.

« Reply #335 on: March 24, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »

Baldi...always on point!  ;D

Recognize

« Reply #336 on: March 24, 2017, 02:31:24 PM »
Why do folks keep taking the bait when Baldi goes into troll mode?  And in re: to Matt he is always in troll mode.

Troll mode? Do we have any recruits? Did we finish in 8th with his guys? Did he waste time and money recruiting a crossdressing thief that no one else would touch? Did he bring the drama to the staff causing a well respected recruiter to be jettisoned? And than have the balls to ask for a raise? You guys have some seriously low expectations. But hey, he's an alumn

« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2017, 02:33:41 PM »
Isn't Rowsey from Marquette a transfer for a mid-tier D-I school?  He is a pretty good player - no?  I believe you are a big fan.

I have no idea if the kid from Green Bay is any good.  But I don't want to write off anyone, especially senior grad transfers, because older more experienced/developed kids from mid-level schools have shown they can be contributors in bigger conferences.

Well considering thats all he added what else could you blast him for? His suits?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #338 on: March 24, 2017, 02:37:08 PM »

Well considering thats all he added what else could you blast him for? His suits?

"But it was year 1 of a rebuild".

Actually, Durand was the leading scorer on that team

goredmen

« Reply #339 on: March 24, 2017, 02:40:51 PM »

"But it was year 1 of a rebuild".

Actually, Durand was the leading scorer on that team

With Slice: 8-24 (1-17)
Without Slice: 14-19 (7-11)

Apparently Slice has a -6 win differential on the team