Big East Awards

• 38 replies
Re: Big East Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
Chrabs hard to gauge how he will be viewed by coaches.  Agree with Baldi and others in that he cannot be judged by traditional stats alone. 

Agree with you on Hart/Delgado.  To me, Bluett and Foster have to be on the first team.  No way Carrington deserves to be on the first team.  He hasn't been any better than our two guards, and he has the benefit of playing with a big who commands all the attention from opposing teams.  That 41 point game will shade his stats a bit.  Will probably end up on the 2nd team but I don't think he is more deserving than either Lovett or Ponds.

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »
I think DPOY may be Owens.  Is there anyone else who could take it from him?

Patton.

Patton doesn't block shots, rebound, or play d at an elite level.

He plays under 25mpg. His per 40 is somewhere around 22, 10, 2, 3.

He also shoots 70% from the floor.

First, he averaged 25.5 mpg...that's not under 25 and is a substantial amount of playing time for a big man.  What does his FG % have to do with defense? He's not even the best defender on his team and that is not a controversial statement. He's 7'0 and averaged only 6.3 boards per game for an undersized team. He also only blocks 1.6 shots per game and doesn't play more because he's always in early foul trouble.

His per 40 is also 9.8 boards, 2.5 blocks, and 1.6 steals. Tariq's per 40 is 10.9 boards, 4.7 blocks, and 1.2 steals. Pattons's conference per 40 is nearly identical to Darien Williams'. Jessie Govan's per 40 is 20.1 9.8 and Angelo Delgado averages 16 boards per 40 if that is the route you want to take.

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »
Patton's FG% is a very deceiving stat, credited mostly to easy put backs and dunks. DeAndre Jordan leads the NBA in FG% at 69%, yet his FT% is at 50%. Very similar to Patton, 69% FG, 53% FT. He should stay one more year, put on additional weight, and keep improving. He could be Top5 next year, although he was terrific seeing him in person in Queens, I really think he could benefit by staying.

My BE Awards-

1st Team-

Hart-Khadeen-Chrabascz-Jenkins-Delgado

2nd Team-

Brunson-Martin-Blueitt-Cartwright-Foster

All Freshman-

Marcus-Shamorie-DiVincenzo-Baldwin-Patton

POY-

Hart

ROY-

Shamorie

COY-

Holtmann
Only one that I would change is Howard for Divincenzo

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 06:08:59 PM »
I know we all love Chrabascz and he's a team guy who's not about stats but in conference he averages 10.5 points 4.5 rebounds 43% from the field and 25% from 3.  Is that an all conference player?  Would we be happy with those numbers from Ahmed?

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 11:06:56 PM »
I know we all love Chrabascz and he's a team guy who's not about stats but in conference he averages 10.5 points 4.5 rebounds 43% from the field and 25% from 3.  Is that an all conference player?  Would we be happy with those numbers from Ahmed?

Ask the question would you rather Chrabascz or Ahmed.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »

Not sure, though if we watched every second of every game played by Chrabascz I'm sure some would say he sucks also.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »

Not sure, though if we watched every second of every game played by Chrabascz I'm sure some would say he sucks also.
That's my point exactly.  We're a lot more critical of our players we see every game.  DiVincenzo is a good player but he had two great games against us so we have him on the all rookie team? There was a couple of games this year where opposing teams were like " that Malik Ellison, he's a star" but they don't watch our team.

paultzman

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
#BIGEASThoops Freshman of the Week - Shamorie Ponds (@StJohnsBBall)

Ponds earns the honor for the fifth time this season.

Bashir Ahmed made honor roll, SJU press release;

"Ahmed finds a spot on the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll for the third time this season after averaging 18.5 points and 5.0 rebounds in a pair of contests against the Golden Eagles and Hoyas.  Ahmed kicked off the week with 21 points, his third 20-point performance of the year, on 7-of-14 shooting in Milwaukee.  Against the Hoyas on Saturday, Ahmed scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half to help the Red Storm outlast Georgetown in a thriller down the stretch."

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:36:43 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »

Ahmed is the better rebounder, ball handler and they shoot it about the same.  For all Chrabascz does well I'm taking the upside of Ahmed.

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 03:44:24 PM »

Ahmed is the better rebounder, ball handler and they shoot it about the same.  For all Chrabascz does well I'm taking the upside of Ahmed.

I am in no way trying to throw Ahmed away, but if given the choice id go with Chrabascz every time.

Wods317

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »

I am in no way trying to throw Ahmed away, but if given the choice id go with Chrabascz every time.

They are such different players it is hard to compare. I think I would take Ahmed even with his faults. We do not have a lot of guys who create their own shots other then Bash, Ponds ans Lovett. I like Chrabascz but I am not sure I would take him over Ahmed.

QuanMan

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »
Bash collected his 3rd BE honorable mention this week, obviously the league acknowledges him more than most of our fan base, who grossly under appreciate his value to this year's team. 
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »
Is Chrabascz Butler's leading scorer or rebounder? No. But for my money he is their most important player.

Regardless, ahmed is a huge piece to our puzzle and someone who will contribute mightily to our teams success next year.

QuanMan

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »
Is Chrabascz Butler's leading scorer or rebounder? No. But for my money he is their most important player.

Regardless, ahmed is a huge piece to our puzzle and someone who will contribute mightily to our teams success next year.

+1000
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »
I'll take whichever guy is coached by Holtmann

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »
Bash collected his 3rd BE honorable mention this week, obviously the league acknowledges him more than most of our fan base, who grossly under appreciate his value to this year's team. 

We can both appreciate the dimension his game he brings to the offense and be critical that he is often is out of control and stops ball movement on the perimeter.  Glad we have him and like his potential if he improves decision making and limits his hard drives for when it is appropriate.

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »
Chrabascz all conference, 6 points 5 rebounds 0 Big East tourney wins (one less than Ahmed) I'm just saying.

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
Chrabascz all conference, 6 points 5 rebounds 0 Big East tourney wins (one less than Ahmed) I'm just saying.

The worst player last night was Cartwright, from Providence.

He put up around 15 points, but don't let that fool you.  He was careless with the ball, and completely out of control all night.  He also missed a ton of free throws.

Ed Cooley was my pick for Coach of the Year in the Big East, but at some point, you have to pull him, even if only for a couple of minutes.  Cooley just let Cartwright continue to dribble and pass the Friars completely out of the game last night.  It was hard to watch.

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 02:55:23 AM »

The worst player last night was Cartwright, from Providence.

Crazy