LoVett

• 191 replies

QuanMan

Re: LoVett
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »
We are not better without Lovett but we still should be improved next year despite him leaving. He is a talent and would have probably have been even more effective next year with better players around him. It is a shame he is leaving but such is the world of college athletics now.

why is everyone talking like this is certainty?

Not done yet.

I don't understand why LoVett shouldn't test the waters and see where he stands. If I were his agent, and I were good at my job, I'd encourage him to see how he measures up to other point guards with NBA aspirations. Finally, college kids are allowed to explore options and still return to school.

And, if we are so certain that he wouldn't be drafted because of the amount of guard talent available then he'll return a better player after having played against better competition than he did all season, sans Nova, of course.

Agreed, however that uncertainty would carry through the entire Spring Signing period.
Section 3
Section 116

Moose

« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »
We are not better without Lovett but we still should be improved next year despite him leaving. He is a talent and would have probably have been even more effective next year with better players around him. It is a shame he is leaving but such is the world of college athletics now.

Not done yet.

Nothing is a certainty when it comes to Lovett.  I like him as a player and would rather have him here than leaving.  But then again I can live without the drama and things that comes with it.  What was it 3 or 4 times he didn't start because of minor disciplinary issues?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2017, 10:29:40 AM »

It must be true, the Magic Eight Baldi pronounced it. But only obliquely, so that if it doesn't happen he can deny it later.

I pronounced it a month go, before any of these so called twitter journalists even thought to ask him about it.  I hope he stays, but it seemed like he always had a foot out the door from the beginning.
Also, it was brought to my attention that Baldi posts are being mentioned on the JV message board

Last week you said he was staying. LOL

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »

Not done yet.

Nothing is a certainty when it comes to Lovett.  I like him as a player and would rather have him here than leaving.  But then again I can live without the drama and things that comes with it.  What was it 3 or 4 times he didn't start because of minor disciplinary issues?

Welcome back Moose.
Was not disciplinary reasons, several on the board said it was a basketball decision  ;)

« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2017, 10:31:17 AM »

It must be true, the Magic Eight Baldi pronounced it. But only obliquely, so that if it doesn't happen he can deny it later.

I pronounced it a month go, before any of these so called twitter journalists even thought to ask him about it.  I hope he stays, but it seemed like he always had a foot out the door from the beginning.
Also, it was brought to my attention that Baldi posts are being mentioned on the JV message board

Last week you said he was staying. LOL

He was staying last week

« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »

You announced that two or was it three or four of them were leaving.

I saw the RM post, evidently someone called Ricky Smith is a fan of yours.

PS The Magic Eight Baldi, that was HiLaRiOuS.

I can run with the Magic Eight Baldi, fo shizzle.

Ricky Smith is a good man

ras

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »
How can you say that absolutely with Ponds and Simon on the roster?

You can say absolutely because they'd still be on the roster if Lovett stayed. Lovett not being there means more minutes for Missini and Ellison. Lovett is better than those two by three country miles. Missini does one thing well and he does it oh so very slightly better than Lovett and Ellison is brain dead.

Pick a three guard rotation for your team that's going to play 80 minutes a game:

Ponds / Simon / Lovett

Ponds / Simon / Ellison

Ponds / Simon / Mussini

Come on now.

We were 4-1 when Lovett played 25 or less minutes and 2-1 when he didn't played at all. That was almost half of our wins.

Those four games were Northridge, Tulane, and Depaul and Georgetown at home. The common element between those wins isn't that Lovett played less than 25 minutes per game.

Instead of a 3 guard lineup. W Clark here . Bash could play the 3. I think he will be much improved next year. What we need is another big.. If mussini doesn't leave I think were OK w our guards. Simon probably has improved his shooting working w Mullin and Mitch.

Poison

« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2017, 11:38:56 AM »

Not done yet.

I don't understand why LoVett shouldn't test the waters and see where he stands. If I were his agent, and I were good at my job, I'd encourage him to see how he measures up to other point guards with NBA aspirations. Finally, college kids are allowed to explore options and still return to school.

And, if we are so certain that he wouldn't be drafted because of the amount of guard talent available then he'll return a better player after having played against better competition than he did all season, sans Nova, of course.

Agreed, however that uncertainty would carry through the entire Spring Signing period.

If Mussini is staying, we may be able to go with Simon at the 1 with one of Mussini or Ellison spelling him at times. I have not seen the ability to run the offense at all from either of them. I prefer them off the ball, and off the bench until they play a better and more consistent game.

To his credit, I will say that over the last few games, Mussini started getting more physical on defense and started to hit some useful shots from places other than the 3 point line. Not amazing play, but he contributed off the bench. Ellison needs to find his center. The guy was a hot mess. I still stink he could turn out to be a good player, but he isn't one yet.  If he returns for his junior season, he should have an even more well rounded game. I'd like to see him get better at putting it on the floor and getting into the lane.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:41:46 AM by Poison »

Wods317

« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »

Not done yet.

Worded the post poorly. Was more aiming to speak about if he leaves what we would do. In re-reading it I made it sound as if he is gone while I have no actual direct knowledge of that. Either way I think we will be improved next season but would be easier with Marcus.

« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
  I know Baldi a long time. He reports what he gets from his sources. Sources sometimes don't get the right message or, the latest message.. Who knows what Lovett will do?  When he decides, the Staff will do what is necessary to replace him. I think Ponds can run the Point and like him to have the ball as much as possible. Ellison is not a point forward despite Mullin and staff thinking so. Both, Ponds and Lovett did have some trouble passing over Zones with Big Guards up top, which I presume was why Ellison handled the ball as much as he did. Perhaps Simon is the PG we require for the BE schedule. We will see.

« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »
  I know Baldi a long time. He reports what he gets from his sources. Sources sometimes don't get the right message or, the latest message.. Who knows what Lovett will do?  When he decides, the Staff will do what is necessary to replace him. I think Ponds can run the Point and like him to have the ball as much as possible. Ellison is not a point forward despite Mullin and staff thinking so. Both, Ponds and Lovett did have some trouble passing over Zones with Big Guards up top, which I presume was why Ellison handled the ball as much as he did. Perhaps Simon is the PG we require for the BE schedule. We will see.

Slyfoxx! Been a long time! Great to see you back here

« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2017, 12:42:32 PM »
  Thanks Marco.. i'm on the other site, now and again.. But, different handle . You are always a good source for information.In this era of fake news, who knows what is the true story until it is confirmed.. In Lovett's case the speculation started before the end of the Season as rumors started. That fact, combined with kind of a downturn in his performance with his game, would fuel the leaving possibilities.  Personally, I thought he wore down from the pounding he took and also frustrated with all his passes to Yakwe down low being fumbled, kicked or thrown over the backboard. You can't be a PG if the other players don't deliver the Mail.

Either way, we will be a better team next year.

« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »
  Thanks Marco.. i'm on the other site, now and again.. But, different handle . You are always a good source for information.In this era of fake news, who knows what is the true story until it is confirmed.. In Lovett's case the speculation started before the end of the Season as rumors started. That fact, combined with kind of a downturn in his performance with his game, would fuel the leaving possibilities.  Personally, I thought he wore down from the pounding he took and also frustrated with all his passes to Yakwe down low being fumbled, kicked or thrown over the backboard. You can't be a PG if the other players don't deliver the Mail.

Lovett(and others) drove me crazy because they never learned from their mistakes. The low dribble between 2 defenders never works. Nor does the pass to the big man on the run. Yet our guards continued to do so. That's on the coaching also

Poison

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »

Lovett(and others) drove me crazy because they never learned from their mistakes. The low dribble between 2 defenders never works. Nor does the pass to the big man on the run. Yet our guards continued to do so. That's on the coaching also

They ran plays for Yakwe like he was Walter Berry. His regression is odd. Last year, it seemed like he was a promising all conference player. Now he just seems lost.

« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »

They ran plays for Yakwe like he was Walter Berry. His regression is odd. Last year, it seemed like he was a promising all conference player. Now he just seems lost.

I said it for months, staff needs someone to work with the big men

redslope

« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »

Lovett drove me crazy when ever he drove towards the hoop and he would fall on the floor (looking for camera time) after a difficult shot and make but he missed more than he made and left the player he was guarding uncovered leading to many easy makes for our opponents.

Marillac

« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »
How can you say that absolutely with Ponds and Simon on the roster?

You can say absolutely because they'd still be on the roster if Lovett stayed. Lovett not being there means more minutes for Missini and Ellison. Lovett is better than those two by three country miles. Missini does one thing well and he does it oh so very slightly better than Lovett and Ellison is brain dead.

Pick a three guard rotation for your team that's going to play 80 minutes a game:

Ponds / Simon / Lovett

Ponds / Simon / Ellison

Ponds / Simon / Mussini

Come on now.

We were 4-1 when Lovett played 25 or less minutes and 2-1 when he didn't played at all. That was almost half of our wins.

Those four games were Northridge, Tulane, and Depaul and Georgetown at home. The common element between those wins isn't that Lovett played less than 25 minutes per game.

I'd rather have his on-court talent than not. His drama can tear apart a fragile program like St. John's, though. He's missing classes and showing up late to team functions with an "I"ll be a pro soon" mentality. I think his best role is probably off the bench for 20 mpg, but what are the odds he buys into that?

I know it's an unfair comparison, but Hatten would have had this team dancing his first year. I think we could be better off with Ponds, Geno Thorpe, and Simon.

« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »

Lovett drove me crazy when ever he drove towards the hoop and he would fall on the floor (looking for camera time) after a difficult shot and make but he missed more than he made and left the player he was guarding uncovered leading to many easy makes for our opponents.

Yup. As I've been saying all year, we are probably the only team to have the guards the last back on defense

« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
Sly and Moose back in one day.  It's a reunion!

MCNPA

« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »

Not done yet.

Because that is the way things go for St. John's nearly always.  We don't get the lucky bounce...